ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such a nice walk with a stunning finish on the ship in the evening sun,
    Can a city look better like in #981/1? I believe, no!
    Nice, how familiar i am with the Moorish style and look, without having been there ever, but uncountable times to our botanic part of the zoo Wilhelma in Stuttgart, which had been erected by King Wilhelm in just that style. Comparing it with the original, they did a great work there.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• What an amazing trip you have been on, in so many ways!

Wonderful photos and moods in each and every one of the images - can almost feel the atmosphere!

PS: I loved the picture of my wonderful friend, the Captain.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Day 16 - Tangier, Morocco

It was the day for Serenissima to return to Africa and her original itinerary, and she had headed for Morocco. Smooth seas, a little rain overnight. By morning the cloud was lifting, but enough remained to catch the sunrise, adding colour to the early morning scene from out on deck.

The colours became subtler with sunlight just catching the higher ground as the ship approached the port of Tangier.

Comment

• Passing the ro-ro cargo ship Panagia Thalassini at the end of the quay, we reached our allotted berth just around the corner to the right of this photo.

Signs here on the quay of the earlier rain.

I moved across the deck to watch the pilot boat move off.

Comment

• There were quite a number of small fishing boats coming from the inner harbour, but otherwise everywhere seemed quiet, as well as now pleasantly warm in the early morning sun.

Comment

• Waiting for Serenissima's gangway to be lowered. Meanwhile across the other side of the harbour the cruise ship Marina has just arrived, and I stayed outside watching her turn and reverse in to her berth before I went to breakfast.

We all had the usual kind of immigration cards to fill in and present with our passports to the officials who had set up office in the Harald Jarl lounge. On more recently renewed British passports the issuing authority is shown as IPS, (short for Identity and Passport Service). This seemed to confuse the officials at first, and a queue of guests was starting to build up. Perhaps they expected us to put somewhere such as "London" as ‘place of issue of passport’ on the cards. The person next to me in the queue told me he was sure he would slow down the procedure even more, and showed me his Guernsey passport! How interesting - even the cover rather unexpectedly had the wording "British Islands", followed by "Bailiwick of Guernsey" As it happened one of the more junior of the officials knew about the Channel Islands, and no doubt impressed his superior. After that the rest of us who had put IPS on our cards had them stamped without further ado.
              Last edited by Seagull; March 16th, 2015, 16:29.

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                Les Anglo-Normandes (Channel- Islands) seem to be a geographical (and historical) riddle for a lot of people.
                And when they know a bit about they usually think that all of them are included in the Jersey States.Guernesey,Alderney and Sark don't much care for that kind of misunderstanding!

• The tour buses had arrived on the quay, and we disembarked, our smiling Captain seeing us off from up on the bridge wing.

Comment

• As the bus turned out of the harbour, I saw where all the activity was and why there had been so many fishing boats - the trading market for fish.

Another 'from the bus' photo I liked was this almost abstract blocky pattern of the buildings on the hillside.

It was an interesting drive around various areas of the city, and on through pleasant surroundings of a nature reserve where we stopped at Cape Spartel, some 12km or so to the west.
                This is a bit like tourists visiting John O'Groats in Scotland, which is not actually the most northern point of the UK/Scottish mainland (that's Dunnet Head). Cape Spartel is certainly NOT the northernmost part of Africa - that’s clearly in Tunisia, but actually I'm not even sure it's the northernmost point of Morocco as listed here. (What appears be the northernmost point is perhaps too close to disputed boundaries around the Spanish exclave of Ceuta to draw attention to.)

Anyway, we can all agree that Cape Spartel lies at the north western point of mainland Africa at the entrance to the Straits of Gibraltar.

Comment

• Just as in such places as John O'Groats or Norway's Nordkapp, there is a shopping opportunity!
                  I didn't give too much attention to the fossils among these souvenirs though. Morocco has for years been notorious for a 'cottage industry' in fakes and forgeries, especially fossil trilobites. One common technique is to glue bits to complete an incomplete specimen. One might end up with a head that is far too large for its body, or a tail from an entirely different species. I might actually have looked out for that kind of thing if I was still involved in teaching undergraduate students and adult evening classes - useful for 'spot the mistake' kind of exercises!

Clothing stalls seemed quite popular.

Quite a number of other tour buses had turned up, to the delight of young boys with animals in tow to attract tourist photo-taking for a price of course. I just took photos of the tourists among the animals...

...as well as the inevitable consequences underfoot! Best not wear sandals!

Comment

• Continuing the scenic drive we return to town and set off on a walking tour of the Kasbah - here are some impressions:

Comment

• A break for refreshing tea had been arranged for us in a large airy room conveniently overlooking the harbour with a view of Serenissima.

Next, a visit to the Kasbah Museum, housed in the former palace Dar el Makhzen..

Comment

• We continue our walk through the stepped streets of the Medina.

Oh look a cat! ...well there were many, but I liked the near-camouflage colours of this one who had found a corner with just the right combination of sun and shade.

Comment

• As you see it is perfectly possible to avoid less crowded streets and take pleasing photos.

Comment

• This is the busy and bustling junction of old walled city and the newer Tangier. We will pass this way again later in the afternoon, but for now there is time for a peep at the food markets.

Here is the fish market, where that fish we saw the traders buying from the fishermen earlier is now on sale!

This is a suitable point for our buses to return us the short distance to the ship. There we will have lunch ...but it will be a little different from usual!

Comment

• It's very clear that the atmosphere in these pictures is different compared to your earlier ports of call.

Comment

Working...
                              X