ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I don't seem to have many satisfactory photos of the newer equipment, but I know this particular one will interest some of you.

Comment

Chartroom...

...and flags.

Comment

Pretty awesome bridge indeed. And a well balanced mix of old and new stuff - pretty much of it seems to be top-notch too.

Comment

Next I had a little walk around.

Comment

Here is aft deck 5.

I had noticed that the the far corner (to the right of where the ladies are sitting on the above photo) tended to get rather rusty, because in wet conditions water on the deck tends to drain in that direction.

I imagine that it might be going to be attended to later when the ship was in dock, because elsewhere around the ship there was hardly a speck of rust to be seen.
              For example, this guy was meticulously attending to a scarcely visible suggestion of rust at the edge of the deck:-

Comment

Then to the lounge for coffee. The coffee and biscuits are always available, but it was the time when extra goodies are put out for afternoon tea.

Someone has to be first!

While I was munching a sandwich, I took a photo of the red carpet, and then wandered through to the dining room to take the blue version.

Comment

It is almost impossible to walk through the dining room at that time of day without wanting to take yet another photo of the curtains and lamps, though today it was the flowers that looked especially attractive.

That led me to taking a photo of the Gustavian style decoration...

...and then one of the reproduction prints of paintings. Many seem to be by French painters (which fits in with the interests of the Swedish King Gustav III, he of the ‘Gustavian-style’). I think this one is a portrait by Nattier of Madame Sophie who was the daughter of Louis XV. The painting in my cabin was another I recognised - one of the series of atmospheric landscapes of seaports by Claude Joseph Vernet.

Comment

Perhaps it was because of thinking about the paintings that I then went to sit in my favourite corner of the forward lounge for a short while prior to the lecture in the main lounge.

Comment

As folk were now having tea in the Andrea Lounge, I took the outside route and so could come in at the other end and get a front seat for the lecture.

Here is our lecturer Kate on the left, ready to begin after Cruise Director Marjorie has made some announcements.

After the as always excellent lecture it would soon be time for dinner, following which we had a special treat. The resident Russian pianist, Vasily, always played in the lounge after dinner, but tonight wasn't background music but a classical piano recital with music by various Russian composers including Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff. But appropriately, following my thoughts about French art, he included some favourites of mine by Debussy.

So ended a delightful day at sea, and appropriately the movement of the ship gently rocked me to sleep.

Comment

You have certainly documented your trip well, far better than I have ever seen anywhere else!

Congratulations are in place!
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sarnia
                          Sarnia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Couldn't say better. This is an amazing report, both on the ship and on the places visited. Congratulations Seagull, and thank you!

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Bravo Cecilia.
                          The perfect ship for a perfect trip with the perfect guide.Thank you for this report.
                          And as the icing on the cake...Debussy!

I love the bridge details!! And i hope strongly, you will finish your report, since that was just a day on sea. Some of our fellowes comments sound like "that was it". Please no. I am enjoying it so much, i could read endless....
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

No worries Ralf! - 18 day holiday! ...it’'s not over until Seatroll meets the Captain, and you see the Baked Alaska!!!!! (Plus a last look back at the ship as the bus leaves for Casablanca airport.)

Comment

Phew! That is good news. I remember a Fram thread, which suddenly stopped. Nagnagnag...
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• yvneac
                              yvneac commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ralf bad boy!

Day 14 - Cartagena, Spain

The piano piece by Debussy that ended the recital, inspired by a painting of Watteau, seemed appropriate in the Gustavian style surroundings of the ship - but when I awoke later that night it was that composer's orchestral depiction of the sea that came to mind. Specifically the most tumultuous and stormy passages!

It had been forecast to get a little rougher weather, but not this rough, and compared to the episode earlier in the trip Serenissima was pitching a great deal. Sea-Troll had ended up on the floor, and I had been wakened by a couple of heavier items also falling off the dressing table. (But don't fear for the continuation of this trip report - I NEVER leave my camera any higher than the floor on a ship!!)

But it was quite challenging to wash and dress that morning. Yes! - the advantages of a smaller and narrower cabin where you can't be tossed on the floor unexpectedly like a soft mascot!!! I don't envy anyone those room-sized suites in such conditions. In any case, I have never really come to terms with the description 'state room' aboard a ship!

However my previous photo technique at chair and window seemed unadvisable, and these photos were all taken later in the morning when conditions had eased slightly. Yet at no time was the actual distant horizon visible.

Venturing out of my cabin and up the stairs I found the lounge empty save for one guest staggering along before giving up and sinking onto the window seats. I continued into and through the long stretch of the dining room - slightly trickier with fewer solid clinging places. But crossing to my favourite breakfast table near the servery and doors to the galley was without mishap.
                            It was my favourite breakfast table partly because it was large and so, despite my being a 'morning person' in other respects, diluted the need to be over-sociable first thing in the morning. It was also a favourite because it was the realm of my favourite waiter Marco. This particular morning he was nothing less than a hero. Available breakfast choices were obviously minimal, but some cold items that usually occupied the central table were consigned to the safely sunken containers of the servery. The toaster was out of service and tethered on the floor, whether as a precautionary measure or after it had fallen I didn't ask. Table settings had also been cleared until required. But on the serving table nearest the forward entrance to the dining room there was a BIG basket of freshly baked croissants!

Marvellous! I had helped myself to a couple even before Marco anticipated my wishes, and that's fast! A lady had just staggered in, grabbed a table near the entrance, and had requested tea, so I told Marco I would also (a change from my accustomed coffee, but I thought it would be easier for him to cope with the one beverage, and very nice it was too).

Comment

Working...
                            X