No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last cruise... I remember, we were in Kristiansund and angry about this photo. We hoped Harald Jarl would be moored on the other side of this quay for a nice photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Dived down in my archives again this afternoon, and found a picture of "Harald Jarl" departing southbound 21. October 2001.
      That should mean that when I took this picture, with an old analog camera and no photo experience at all, she had only about two days left as a hurtigrute.
      Is it my imagination or do I recall correctly that at some stage Harald Jarl had a red line on her gunwale line?

I assumed she was painted like that at the time she went out of hurtigruten service in 2001 but Sterkoder's photo tells me otherwise.

Maybe it was in her early days as Andrea before the orange line lower down?

Clipper
      Last edited by Clipper; November 23rd, 2009, 22:15.
      ---------------------------
      Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
      Deck plan geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper View Post
        Is it my imagination or do I recall correctly that at some stage Harald Jarl had a red line on her gunwale line?

I assumed she was painted like that at the time she went out of hurtigruten service in 2001 but Sterkoder's photo tells me otherwise.

Maybe it was in her early days as Andrea before the orange line lower down?

Clipper
        I am not able to recall any red line in my memory of Harald Jarl. But, as you probably know, the ex-RAGNVALD Jarl got a red line during her service as "Gann".
        Here is "Gann" (ex-Ragnvald Jarl) in Alta 2003

Comment

Found it!! - 6th photo from the top.

According to the text, Harald Jarl had the red stripe for just a few weeks.

Clipper
          Deck plan geek.

Comment

And look what else my Google search threw up - a 1997 article from English newspaper The (Daily or Sunday) Telegraph.

The author, Nicholas Crane, is a well known travel writer and broadcaster probably best known as "Map Man" - from a television series about map making, in which he always rode an old bicycle and carried a large black umbrella.

I am pleased to say that I beat Mr Crane to a trip on H-J by a whole 12 years but he is a great writer. Every H-J fan should read this article. The penultimate paragraph is the best.

Clipper

Edit: And here is an article reporting on the same trip, by Nicholas Crane's travelling companion Hallam Murray.
            Last edited by Clipper; November 26th, 2009, 13:37.
            Deck plan geek.

Comment

Excellent links, Clipper! So now we have the red strip period defined. I’ll even forgive you for yet another reminder that I missed out on H-J altogether
              On a more positive note, that Map Man TV series was indeed a great favorite of mine.

And HurtigruteMartin – thanks for showing us that Ragnvald Jarl/Gann red stripe photo

Comment

Thank you Clipper for posting those fantastic links! I have just spent a very enjoyable 15 minutes reading those reports and i totally enjoyed doing so.

More than ever i really want to travel the hurtigruten. And on one of the "real" ships of course!
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  And HurtigruteMartin – thanks for showing us that Ragnvald Jarl/Gann red stripe photo
                  Sorry H-M, I did not say thank you.

Maybe I should ask Seagull to preview my posts to keep me out of trouble.

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                  More than ever i really want to travel the hurtigruten. And on one of the "real" ships of course!
                  Good luck Steve, I am sure you will make it one day soon.

Clipper
                  Last edited by Clipper; November 26th, 2009, 14:37.
                  Deck plan geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper View Post
                    Found it!! - 6th photo from the top.

According to the text, Harald Jarl had the red stripe for just a few weeks.

Clipper
                    Far back in my head, I also had a suspicion that she had indeed sailed with a red stripe on the ships side. The image in the link looks a bit suspicious, as if it was PS, but it could also be the low quality of the image making it look 'strange'.

From what I can find way back in my head, way back, I recall this as being half a roundtrip from Bergen to Tromsø via Kirkenes. But that one was so far in the back, that it might be totally wrong.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hi Pakarang,

Yes I too wondered about Photoshop but the site owner seems to have good credentials and certainly claims the photo to be genuine. Anyway, if it had been done in PS, surely it would be better than that!!!

He says, "... this noble ship as she was nearly 40 years since 1960, but then ... a horrible red stripe", implying the year to be 1999 or early 2000.

From the home page we learn the site owner's name to be Carl Frederick Hestbek. Maybe someone here knows him.

Clipper
                      Deck plan geek.

Comment

It's most likely a genuine image. I do remember it vaguely, that the ship once had a red stripe for a very short time. 1999 or 2000 sounds very plausible too!
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Dear Clipper

What a hero you are, bringing up the red stripe - issue. I had absolutely NO IDEA, that HJ once had a red stripe.

There are always something to learn. THAAAAAANKS

I hope we can be able to date the "red-stripe-period".

Comment

Per Rydheim write the red stripe was painted the 26. March 2000 in Bergen. If someone of the Norwegian is very bored, he can translate this side.
                            There is a photo of it and a drawing of the machine, too.

http://www.hurtigrutene.info/hurtigr...rald_jarl3.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Eilun View Post
                              Per Rydheim write the red stripe was painted the 26. March 2000 in Bergen. If someone of the Norwegian is very bored, he can translate this side.
                              There is a photo of it and a drawing of the machine, too.

http://www.hurtigrutene.info/hurtigr...rald_jarl3.htm
                              Excellent. I have visited that page before but never read it all through. Even with Google translate, it is hard work for an English speaker.

Clipper
                              Deck plan geek.

Comment

Now, the hurtigruten gruop asa buy Harald Jarl back! She is for sale ...
                                See link for more information

http://hr.apolloduck.com/display.phtml?aid=123128
                                Regards from Joakim Bonsaksen

Comment

Working...
                                X