ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    I'm so sorry to barge in like this, but I hope it's OK to share some images of SERENISSIMA when she came to Trondheim last summer?
    Of course it is very OK! ...especially as I'm slightly delayed in starting my Day 9 due to looking at photos of a certain air show in another thread!

And these are such superb images, with that distinctive pakarang touch... One doesn't get views like this, especially that first one, when actually onboard

Comment

SERENISSIMA came to Trondheim several times this past summer - after all, this is where this ship truly belongs and where she was built!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Clipper
        Clipper commented
        Editing a comment
        There must still be people alive who worked on her in the shipyard. They will be 75+ now but that's no problem for Norwegians - you all seem to live great long lives. Would be fantastic if someone could get an interview with someone before time runs out.

Day 9 - Syracuse, and an excursion to Noto, Sicily

Panorama from the aft deck the following morning. All is calm after the storm.

It was quiet on the ship, and I suppose everyone had slept well at our overnight mooring.

Comment

The sun rose, casting a golden light on the buildings around the harbour. The stone here is the local limestone.

After breakfast it was time to disembark ready for the excursions.

Comment

Yes, that is excursions in the plural, for this was the one day of the cruise when there was a choice between two excursions taking place simultaneously. We had already made our decisions the previous evening and signed a sheet at reception. So while some guests would be looking at the nearby archaeological sites and walking in Ortygia (the island and historical centre of the city of Syracuse), I joined the group driving to the beautiful town of Noto, a World Heritage Site for its Baroque architecture.

From the parking place we strolled through these park-like surroundings...

...and reached the town gate.

Continuing along this main street, Corso Vittorio Emanuele, one is surrounded by impressive architecture.

Comment

Here is an example of old block of weathered limestone, but very many buildings in Noto have been restored.

This is Noto Cathedral, which dates from the 18th century but suffered repeatedly from earthquake damage. Unsatisfactory refurbishment in the 1950’s, particularly to the roof using heavy brick and concrete, possibly caused the major building collapse that occurred in 1996 following an earthquake some years earlier that weakened the structure.
            The cathedral re-opened in 2007 and although the interior is quite plain, the 18th century decoration having been destroyed, the appearance of the exterior façade’s stonework is nothing short of outstanding.

Comment

Another square further along the main street.

There are other churches and many impressive buildings, and after seeing some of these in the side streets and admiring the details of the balconies the group had some free time before meeting at the town gate.

Comment

For once I was not tempted to head straight for a café! For as we walked towards the church of San Carlo I had noticed someone high up on the campanile, and when we went briefly inside I'd seen a sign indicating a 2-euro ticket for the ascent of the tower! So I returned to the church, purchased a ticket, and clamoured up the 80 or so steps of a very narrow spiral staircase.

How worth the effort that turned out to be! For the view of the majestic flight of steps up to the cathedral’s magnificent façade is another of my favourite images of the whole holiday.

Comment

More views from the bell tower:

Comment

The town of Noto seemed refreshingly free of the excesses of touristy shops aimed at foreigners, and I was aware of some Italian visitors, local school groups and families out for the day in the glorious weather. Indeed a portable stall on wheels had rather unexpected merchandise!

I took that photo especially for pakarang, as well as this of a Sicilian tuk tuk which might also appeal to him.

Well, after all that sightseeing and going up and down so many steps you all deserve some refreshment, so back in the square at the town gate let's have some ice-cream before returning to the bus.

Then back aboard Serenissima for lunch and it will be time to depart for Africa! We will enjoy an afternoon at sea!

Comment

Thank you for this wonderful continuation. I am glad you found the entrance to the Campanile. That enabled us to have these stunning views. That icecream is an appetizer. So you bought chocolate and... peppermint?
                      Oh and thank you, J-O for the Trondheim pictures, we can't ever get enough pictures of this neautiful ship. Fits perfect in this report!
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        ....So you bought chocolate and... peppermint?....
                        Ralf!
                        Ok, serious discussion required! !!!! It wasn't overly pepperminty, but rather subtle and deliciously refreshing, and to my taste a perfect accompaniment to the more obvious chocolate. One could choose any combinations of dozens of varieties!

I didn't take a general photo of the café shop. But it was a counter very much the same as many cake counters and ice cream displays I've shown, varying only in the refrigeration required. But I did takea photo of this particular ice-cream variety as displayed!

Even my non-existent Italian figured it is "Sky Blue" ...but it looks MUCH more like "Sea Blue" to me.
                        Actually it is a the sea-blue/turquoise colour that my trusty Sea-Troll mascot used to look like before decades of sunlight exposure and the occasional wash faded his skin! Perhaps this Sicilian Gnome is some kind of distant relative!!!!

Comment

• Tommi
                          Tommi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Eeh, there's an animal in the icecream? :-)

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        ....thank you, J-O for the Trondheim pictures, we can't ever get enough pictures of this neautiful ship. Fits perfect in this report!
                        Absolutely. And here, at a turning point in the cruise, is the perfect moment to be reminded again of what brought me here - hearing of Jan-Olav's personal experiences of this ship, from his childhood at the quay in Rørvik with Harald Jarl to Serenissima's maiden voyage. For that was why I was so determined to get to Trondhem for her return home, and subsequently to make this voyage. So I am so pleased to see photos of her visits to Trondheim last year.

Clipper made a comment to Jan-Olav's pictures #812, which I intended to reply to:
                        "There must still be people alive who worked on her in the shipyard. They will be 75+ now but that's no problem for Norwegians - you all seem to live great long lives. Would be fantastic if someone could get an interview with someone before time runs out".

I thought that too, Clipper, that day in Trondheim in June 2013 when I watched as Harald Jarl sailed up the Trondheim Fjord as Serenissima.. (Goodness, doesn't that already sound so long ago!).
                        That homecoming would have been the perfect occasion to initiate such a project as you describe, and surely the local newspapers would have been perfectly placed to make it happen. Sadly they do not seem to have too good a record when it comes to matters maritime...
                        Last edited by Seagull; January 27th, 2015, 13:31. Reason: ...typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

Actually it is a the sea-blue/turquoise colour that my trusty Sea-Troll mascot used to look like before decades of sunlight exposure and the occasional wash faded his skin! Perhaps this Sicilian Gnome is some kind of distant relative!!!!
                          Oh, i apprehended that, but i hoped the colour would mislead a bit. This was one of the favourites of my children.

But before any Belgian readers get offended: This is not a Sicilian gnome.
                          This is a "smurf" (in French "Schtroumpf", in German "Schlumpf", in Italian "Puffo"). It was created by the Belgian Comic artist Peyo in 1958, to develop the stories "Aventures de Johan et Pirloit".

So this specific blue is not sky- , sea- or turquoise- blue, it is smurf-blue!
                          The taste of smurf ice is.... let's say.... unspecific (as you can read: aromitalia..).???

​And how do smurfs describe that taste?? Exactly: smurfy!

(such a tasteful OT-trip....)
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I loved the yellow mini-me and the tuk-tuk!
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                            X