No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are all ashore, and things will be a bit more relaxing for the crew for a while, and for the port security guides at their little table. There is something so very local and 'island' about this scene.

The surroundings of Marina Corta are indeed picturesque. I make a note of that café for later; now it's time to walk to the buses...

...but not before taking this view of the lovely lady Serenissima peeping out from behind the rocks!

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      Like #736/3.

I think I recognize the Captain! If it's the person I think it is, he is nothing but absolutely wonderful!

And I agree, that final peeking-out-from-the-rocks image is very nice!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      I think I recognize the Captain! If it's the person I think it is, he is nothing but absolutely wonderful!
      You do indeed know Captain Josip Padjen - but you'll remember him with 3 stripes. He said you'd be surprised and delighted at the promotion. Actually when I introduced myself on the first evening, mentioning my Norwegian friend having been on the maiden voyage, he described YOU as "a wonderful person"!

More photos - without the sun glasses - later on in the voyage. Oh and there are also the traditional photos with Sea-Troll!

Added edit:- This is how I knew you'd met - I only just found the photo I remembered you'd taken, it's here in the maiden voyage thread. A few posts later I had commented "The Chief Officer will surely treasure that fine portrait you took of him which recalls several portraits of your officers you've taken aboard Korsfjord ".
      Last edited by Seagull; December 29th, 2014, 09:52. Reason: ...added link

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        Oh and there are also the traditional photos with Sea-Troll!
        With or without sunglasses?

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          My mascot thinks he'd look cool in sunglasses, but it's a bit tricky when you have no external ears!

This view of the castle taken on the bus tour is the reverse of that from the ship a few posts ago.

Comment

I enjoyed the drive on the island, a chance to glimpse something of its rural aspect. Here is one viewpoint where many of the rock formations in the foreground have names and legends associated with them. Beyond is the island Vulcano, with steaming volcanic vents visible.

Another viewpoint where we stopped would probably have been more touristy in the summer, but the group appreciated the opportunity to pause at the roadside stalls. We were even offered a taste of the local Malvasia desert wine by this old man, clearly attired for the colder season. I was warm enough in short sleeves, and never needed extra layers The weather forecast had been for rain and deteriorating weather, but it actually became sunnier as the day progressed.

Comment

Continuing on our way, I took a photo of a pumice quarry from the bus. The island has vast deposits of pumice which became a flourishing industry with world-wide exports. When, in the year 2000, the Aeolian Islands were made a World Heritage Site it was apparently on the basis that pumice mining was to end by 2005! It seems extraordinary to me. With the importance to the local economy and jobs it was naturally a highly controversial decision, and despite arguments and a court case the mining actually increased until, in 2007, the police intervened and closed down the mines - or rather in many cases the workers were simply dispatched leaving mines abandoned like ghost towns. The basis of the economy seems now based on tourism, along with some agriculture and fishing.

Comment

We stopped for a while at Canneto which has much modern but traditionally styled tourist accommodation spread along the expanse of a wide bay, but at this time of year the centre felt small and charming. The café proprietor seemed almost overwhelmed by the influx of our group, even though many of us chose instead to take a walk along the pebbly beach.

Here you can see how the sea lapping on the beach leaves a wavy line of pumice, which is light in weight as well as colour. One can also look for the heavier black obsidian - a glassy volcanic rock which has been used for sharp tools in prehistoric times and became a Mediterranean-wide export, as can be seen in many an archaeological museum throughout the region.

Comment

It was an archaeological museum which we visited next on returning to the town of Lipari. The museum is located up in the Castello in the former bishop's palace and other buildings next to the cathedral.

We were in several groups and I think I was especially fortunate in the local museum guide for my group who was nothing less than outstanding. I loved her personal approach that focussed on particular examples among the huge number of exhibits, and her enthusiasm - very Italian in an almost operatic and theatrical kind of manner.

This was particularly evident when showing us the notable and remarkable collection of clay figures and theatrical masks from the third and fourth century BC which say so much about Greek theatre and the theatrical conventions in tragedy and comedy through that period.

After the museum visit we had free time for the rest of the day, and this was to be my ideal opportunity to enjoy a local lunch.

Comment

A lot of the excursion participants had the same idea about lunch, and had asked the guides on our buses for recommendations of typical local restaurants. Several names were mentioned, places situated in the streets leading back to the harbour, as well as one in the opposite direction - an old-established fish restaurant. I can't exactly recollect if it was described as being the best, the more expensive,formal or whatever, but these were perhaps the impressions conveyed.

I realised that I had already been attracted to the building, having photographed the Ristorante Filippino from the castle, and as folk started to head towards the shopping streets and harbour, I set off determinedly in the opposite direction.

The entrance to the restaurant terrace is almost hidden behind its garden.

Comment

as folk started to head towards the shopping streets and harbour, I set off determinedly in the opposite direction.
                    I loved this sentence! I know I've not been here long, but I suspect it sums up the attitude of many here? It certainly does mine. The road less travelled, and all that.

Comment

• nari
                      nari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes. Sometimes company is good but to lose oneself in a town and environs means there should be no distractions. Like doing the Tromso bridge walk alone....

After the long morning tour, I had wondered what might be the latest time to arrive for lunch, but there were still many diners. I didn't take this photo until later when most had departed.

Filippino is a venerable institution in Lipari, and clearly “the place to eat”. Unashamedly old-fashioned, it was established in 1910, and has probably not changed much through the intervening years and three generations.

A portrait of waiters, which feels as if it might be a still from a film of a short story.

Comment

• billplumtree
                      billplumtree commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ohhhh... Superb. It says so much.

• billplumtree
                      billplumtree commented
                      Editing a comment
                      (sorry, double post)

The freshly baked bread had been accompanied by an array of vinegars and oils for dipping.

I'd chosen my fish, and when it had been grilled and brought to my table I (unusually for me) let the waiter serve it.

He enquired if I would like it dressed. So that is what my instincts had been directing me towards. The resulting dish, so simple yet so subtle, will remain a taste memory for years to come.
                    Sicily on a plate...

...and in a basket, accompanied by a glass of malvasia.

Comment

Indulging in the pleasurable ambiance of those surroundings, late afternoon, late in the year.

The bill, discreetly presented in a lace embroidered pouch.

Comment

• Sigve
                        Sigve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks like you had a good time....

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Such a wonderful presentation of the restaurant. Clearly seems to be a place to visit "when in town".

A stroll through the town, back to the harbour at Marina Corta:

Comment

Working...
                      X