ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Anyone got $ 15 million to spare + $ 3 million to get the SOLAS 2010...???

If so, here's "Andrea" for you:

http://hr.apolloduck.com/display.phtml?aid=123128
    It's indeed a stiff asking price for the old vessel...

Also, I don't understand this feature of the ship: does she really have an elevator installed?

Pax.Elevators : Yes from deck No 3 till deck No 6
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Following has just been recievd from a cruise ship captain, and the screenshot shows Harald Jarl sailing under a company Blue Danube Holidays...

Is this outdated information or is this something which the ship now do?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        Following has just been recievd from a cruise ship captain, and the screenshot shows Harald Jarl sailing under a company Blue Danube Holidays...

Is this outdated information or is this something which the ship now do?

http://www.bluedanubeholidays.com/bd...escription.htm

I think this must be a travel agency offering cruises on Andrea before she was arrested / laid up.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          http://www.bluedanubeholidays.com/bd...escription.htm

I think this must be a travel agency offering cruises on Andrea before she was arrested / laid up.
          Yes, if you keep clicking to get details of some of the holidays, only MS Monet is mentioned such as:
          Adriatic Croatian Cruises
          SPECIALS
          MS MONET- Venice / Venice
          Apr 29, June 17, July 15, August 26, Sept 2, 16, 23, Oct 7, 14, 28 2009

and these dates match trips on Elegant cruises site:
          http://www.elegantcruises.com/andreamonetchrono.shtml

Comment

I found that Blue Danube page recently too. It's not the only one, here's another :-

http://www.nostalgiereisen.de/MS-Andrea.921.0.html

Sometimes such pages are not linked into the rest of their respective sites but the search engines can still know about them from historical links on old versions of pages maybe months or even years ago.

For safekeeping, I have started to make a web page (here on my own computer) with composite information and photos from several sources. It seems likely that this information will eventually disappear from the web and it would be a pity to lose it for ever.

I'm sure we all do similar judging by the impressive photo libraries you guys all seem to have.

Clipper
            ---------------------------
            Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
            Deck plan geek.

Comment

Just a fiction:

If you imagine that Andrea would be on cruise
              300 days per year with 70 occupied beds (about 66% capacity)

and each passenger would spend about
              € 250 per day for his cruise (which should be upper middle class),

the income would be € 5.250.000.

Calculated with 20% profit would mean € 1.050.000 ability to pay back a credit.
              So the ship could be payed after about 15 years, if you include the bank interests.

Even if you can earn this money and this profit, which is more optimistic than realistic, this period is too long for a serious enterprise.

And this does not include the expenses for repairs on a 50 year old vessel....

I my opinion, no one will buy her for that price.
              What would be the price a scrapper would offer?
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

And in addition (let there be known that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to company economics), don't you have to deduct salary for a crew of 40 (60 when in arctic areas) for those 300 days....?

Just estimated and average numbers, but wouldn't it be something like this:

€20/hour x 8 hours/day = €160 x 40 crew = €6400 x 300 days = €1.920.000,-

(Yes, I know this is far from the way to calculate employee costs, but it gives a rough numer)
                Last edited by Sterkoder; October 30th, 2009, 13:32.
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  And in addition (let there be known that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to company economics), don't you have to deduct salary for a crew of 40 (60 when in arctic areas) for those 300 days....?

Just estimated and average numbers, but wouldn't it be something like this:

€20/hour x 8 hours/day = €160 x 40 crew = €6400 x 300 days = €1.920.000,-

(Yes, I know this is far from the way to calculate employee costs, but it gives a rough number)
                  You Crew cost is a bit high on average as you don't have to use all Norwegian/ North European crews, but never the less, it is a MAJOR cost factor.

Besides crew expenses, OPEX for a vessel like this also includes, maintenance, spare parts, etc. I would estimate a daily OPEX of USD 7-8,000/day with a crew of 40 on board. (Fuel cost of approx. USD 3,000/steaming day excluded)

On top of that comes Finance costs and Insurance etc. (Estim. USD 5,000/day first year, if 100% financing required)

Unless she can be chartered out to others at a good rate, there is also the not small cost of marketing and administering the vessels under own brand.(Estim. T/C rate; USD 15-18,000/day)

Based on Ralf's figure of 70 pax on average and Euro 250/pax/day the gross income for 300 "trading day" is Euro 5.25 Mill., or 17,500/day, corresponding to Euro 14,500/day for the full year (360 days), or approx. USD 21,500/day, which is not bad and should give a reasonable return on investments.

On top of that comes income from gambling and purchases on board I assume??

Anybody interested?? I'm able and willing to broker the purchase.

Comment

I got a mail from a former crew member. He wrote MS Andrea is only 4 million (Euro or Dollar?) worth, the rest of the money are outstanding debts. I don't think a buyer will pay for the debts of Elegant Cruise Line?

Comment

Originally posted by Eilun View Post
                      I got a mail from a former crew member. He wrote MS Andrea is only 4 million (Euro or Dollar?) worth, the rest of the money are outstanding debts. I don't think a buyer will pay for the debts of Elegant Cruise Line?
                      That is a much more realistic price. Even if we assume it is in Euro, which is most likely.

At a purchase price of USD 6 Mill. + USD 3 Mill. to get her IMO SOLAS 2010 approved, this should be a viable project for somebody with money looking for investment opportunities. With a good long Charter to a reputable Cruise Operator she should give a reasonable return on investment.
                      The problem would be to get her out of Split without ending up with present liabilities.

I assume she is arrested? If so, to wait for the auction is best advice. Unless present Owners manage to find the funds to get her released, that shouldn't be too far away.

If well run and maintained she should be able to stay in service for another 5 - 10 years or more.

Comment

Thanks to all numbercrunchers in here for the general idea of costs involved.

Now that NX has to service the coast, ex-HJ would be perfect for the Spitzbergen cruises, maybe combined with Antarctica?

Comment

My dream is to "crunch the numbers" in a way to proove HRG that it is cheaper to lay up two or three big ships in winter time and replace them through refurbished old ships. I don't know yet, if that works, but i am working on it. I will keep you informed here...
                          ...and yes -- Svalbard cruises in summer are also possible then..

Comment

No need to prove this to HRG, they have already been rejoicing about the income from just one leased newship. I pick up these things from Norwegian media, like small remarks in North-Norway papers or radio.

I don't think ANDREA should be reversed to hurtigrute standard, that will be way too expensive. She's perfect now for Svalbard cruises, and to Antarctica in the winter.

Comment

You are right about the status of Andrea. A ship without the ability to transport cargo is no option for the winter season in Hurtigrute.

What do you think they pay for the leasing of "Polar Star" per year?

According to Ombugges numbers, i had a look at the Polar Star schedule for 2010 and was surprised, that she will be used only from 10.06. - 19.08. which is at least including preparation in maximum a 12 week contract. With estimated costs of 14.000 € per day for cruise and vessel this is a sum of 1.260.000 € for a 90 day period.
                              We have 68 travel days and each passenger will pay about 600 € per day on that ship, this is an estimated average price out of the catalogue. If they travel with about 70 passengers, this is an income of 2.856.000 €. They could earn about 1.596.000 € during that period.

Comment

Dived down in my archives again this afternoon, and found a picture of "Harald Jarl" departing southbound 21. October 2001.
                                That should mean that when I took this picture, with an old analog camera and no photo experience at all, she had only about two days left as a hurtigrute.
                                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                                X