ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely wonderful images, Lady C.

It is always nice to see a ship in such a good shape - and a ship which I have such a special connection with.

She is an amzing pearl in a cruisemarket which is flooded with ultra modern giga-sized ships.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      ....Well, I just wanted you to know that I follow you....
      I was sure that you would be following, Svein, and as well as ship-interest, there were a number of places in which I could easily imagine you taking pictures - places very suited to your photo style - and indeed sketching too.

As for those temples and buildings, ummm, lets see, 420 BC in Norway would be early in the Early Iron Age (also called the Pre-Roman Iron Age)

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      Absolutely wonderful images, Lady C.
      It is always nice to see a ship in such a good shape - and a ship which I have such a special connection with....
      And for you, Jan-Olav ...well, it is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL to hear that you found my images "absolutely wonderful".

Of course your own images of Serenissima herself are the most amazing and wonderful possible, but a Lady C-gull trip is bound to be a bit distinctive (! ), and it means everything to me that you especially are appreciating this trip report. Or as I like to think of it, YOUR 'virtual cruise'.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        My last photo that evening.,,,
        I found that wasn't quite the last! I took another late that evening just as we were departing Palermo. It shows GNV’s La Superba, which operates on the Genoa - Palermo route. You can also see the pilot boat which saw Serenissima out of the harbour.

Comment

Day 6 – Lipari, Aeolian Islands

Jan-Olav had been following Serenissima on Marine Traffic, so I am easily able to show you the route taken that night along the north coast of Sicily to the Aeolian Islands. I had woken as the ship turned and rounded the island of Vulcano, taking a heading towards Lipari. Lipari is both the name of the largest of the Aeolian Islands and of its main town.

MarineTraffic.com

I had the outside lounge on Deck 6 entirely to myself in the early morning sunlight. Idyllic memories indeed.

Comment

After a while I relocated forward for the best views approaching Lipari, after first returning to my cabin for a warmer jumper for that breezier location.

Comment

A view back from the platform. The other regular early-birds are up on the bridge wing.

But I think I'm better placed to see what is starting to happen on the foredeck as the pilot boat arrives and we prepare to anchor.

Comment

More guests emerge to see where we've arrived.

And what a location! Here is the from-the-sea view of Lipari's fortified rocky headland citadel. Sometimes marked "Castello" on maps, it is much more than merely a castle for the town was in earlier times entirely located within the walls. We had a group visit arranged to visit the Archaeological Museum there later.

Comment

Here you see the part of the town and the old harbour called Marina Corta where we will be tendering ashore.
                  On the other side of the citadel, Marina Longa is the harbour port used by the ferries of all kinds that link the islands, as well as ferry services to Sicily and the Italian mainland.

Pietro Novelli

Ulisse

Eraclide

Comment

So it had already been a busy shipspotting morning and I had worked up quite an appetite! Pausing only to photograph the empty Andrea Lounge looking aft and popping back to my cabin to offload camera and extra clothing, it was time to join everyone for breakfast.

Comment

Great! Absolutely great!

It is always fun to see other car-ferries in operation, as I'm myself operating one at the moment. There is also something else I like about your images, and that is the essence of discovery through own travels. Oh, I dream of traveling the world again. My 16 years on cruise ships visiting all sorts of ports and places is now only fond memories, but I do long to do that again.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
                        Seagull commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thinking of you I just HAD to slip in a few ferries here and there
                        Hang on tightly to those dreams of travels... meanwhile I'm so pleased that Your Virtual Voyage with me on Serenissima is working out the way I hoped it would.

Dear friends,

Check out this fantastic ship model that I've come across on the triple-w:

Harald Jarl: http://www.skipshistorie.net/Skipsmo...ald%20Jarl.htm

Comment

• Seagull
                        Seagull commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is brilliant!. I'd have LOTS of ship models if I had a bigger apartment, but then I wouldn't be able to afford to travel aboard the real thing.

After breakfast I was soon out on deck again, and, as well as the constant coming and going of the ferries, found that Sea Cloud II had arrived. Up I go to the higher deck to photograph her, but then my attention returned to Serenissima as the Captain appeared.

That's our Captain with the sunglasses. Just then there was an announcement on the speakers from the Cruise Director. We would be using one of the lifeboats as tender, enabling those wishing to take a panoramic tour of the island to assemble with the local guides and walk together to the buses. Later in the day, with plenty of opportunity for free time to explore independently, zodiacs would operate as a shuttle service.

Comment

You can see steps and 'landing stage' have been erected, so off I go to take a closer look.

Comment

Clearly I am enjoying the subsequent photo opportunities!

Comment

I pick up my things ready for the day, again appreciating the convenient location of my cabin, and am one of the first to board the lifeboat when the next announcement is made. I hadn't been inside one of these, and wanted to take a photo before the centre seats filled with guests...

... and I'm close to the driver!

Comment

Working...
                            X