No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful photos and new additions - isn't she an amazing ship?

I was on duty further out in the fjord on the day she came to Trondheim, and we had a quite a few blasts exchanged as we sailed by eachother. All planned naturally.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Here is a cross-reference to a great series of photos of Serenissima at the Noordzeekanaal taken by janihudi and posted in the Veteran Ships and Boats thread.

Comment

The photos are from Friday, 15. August and I started my shipspotting in Kiel near the locks. Not the best place because the view is against the sun. The day before I needed around one hour to drive to the other side. (I have a slow car, but a fast car wouldn't help - too much traffic.)

I thought a good start position is important - Serenissima waited one hour in front of the locks but who can know this?

Comment

This bridge is normally a very good spotting place, too. But not at this time of the day. The same problem - a view exactly against the sun.

Comment

Rendsburg High Bridge - I think this is the most beautiful bridge at the Kiel Canal. It is sad, this day she was covered because of restoration.

Also I had a problem with my camera, the autofocus didn't work. I tried to clean the connection, it worked two photos then the same problem. I couldn't solve the problem and from this moment I had to use the manual focus often. This means I often missed the best moment for a photo. It was annoying and for a moment I wish to throw the camera into the canal.

Comment

Ferry Breiholz

Comment

Excited seeing your photos of Serenissima in the Kiel Canal! I liked the sense of going around with you to the various spotter-places - much more important than having the 'perfect light direction' or whatever. And in any case the photos are all something to be pleased with.
                I do sympathise with you about the renovation coverings on the Rendsburg Bridge though. The Forth Rail Bridge was in such a state for years, and it is good to have them gone at last.

That last photo with a marvellous backdrop of clouds gives me so fresh and invigorating a feeling.

Comment

Serenissima is the ultimate pearl of the seas!

Well maintained and perfectly restored - may she encounter fair seas always wherever she sail!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I hope nobody worried about me when I say Lofoten is my number one! Serenissima has a great machine and I was there to here the sound again. But I don't think she is a real veteran ship, because of too much changes. These blind windows, the big satellit balls, the missing crane - she is a great rebuilt yacht but not a veteran ship anymore.

I hope it is possible to keep Lofoten and Nordstjernen like they are today. Nordstjernen is the best example how to modernize a ship without losing the atmosphere. Probably only a few people who have sailed on Harald Jarl can understand me.
                    I am an older woman with some scratches, this means I better belong to Lofoten than to a pearl.

But I will continue...

Oldenbüttel

Comment

This was my second try taking photos at the Canal. The first try was MS Nordstjernen, May 2008, and my favored places at that time were the Grünentaler and Levensauer high bridges. Serenissma sailed west and on both bridges are rails and fences on the east side, this means no view eastwards.
                      I tried it from a viewpoint near the Grünentaler high bridge but it was not the best idea.

Nobody here who can cut this green branch?

Maybe the viewpoint near the highway is better. It will take a lot of time exploring all places and it is not possible when following a ship. From home I drive 300 km to the Canal and there is no hope I will ever know all places there.

Comment

Hochdonn - I planned to cross the Canal there because of better light. On the street to the ferry was a lot of traffic jam, if I had waited I didn't have seen Serenissima again this day.
                        I found the reason for it a short time later - the next ferry was out of order. So I had to stay on this side.

Comment

I crossed the Canal in Brunsbüttel - 5 times. Without my car, but better don't ask the crew what they think about me.

Oops! I am on the wrong side again - Would have been better changing to the second ferry...

Comment

The clouds this evening were awesome - I have not often seen something like this.

Comment

Once again my autofocus didn't work, I tried it manually and - it was not my wish to put the lighthouse on board...

Comment

Last photo:

Today I found on the website ocean liner a lot of photos which are absolutely perfect from the light and the focus.
                                http://oceanliner-pictures.com/galle...renissima.html

I am not a professional but I hope my photos are more interesting, they are telling a story.

Comment

Working...
                                X