ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
    And how are they doing? And how is Serenissimas rolling?
    Yes indeed. As far as I'm aware, this will be the first time one of the old rolling Hurtigrutene has been stabilised.

I'm sure many of us are dying to know just how effective it will be.

Serenissima has been in and out of Split a couple of times now, but far too quickly for a major fitting package. Maybe the stabilisers will be installed over the Winter? I'd love to be on board for the sea trials! They will have great fun tuning the system - servo systems were one of my specialities many years ago. Let's hope the engineers got their sums right when they specified the system.

Of course, the fitting doesn't have to be performed in Split but I'm guessing it will as that's where the preparatory work was undertaken during her Andrea-Serenissima refit.

Edit: I know the engineer who was Sperry Gyroscope's top man on ship stabilisation in the 1960s/70s/80s. He's very old now but still very knowledgeable.
    Last edited by Clipper; November 2nd, 2013, 18:21.
    ---------------------------
    Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
    Deck plan geek.
    The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      Have you all seen this on Serenissima Cruise webpage?
      http://www.serenissima-cruises.com/s...ima/report.php
      Indeed I had seen these photos, and I can even go one better by sharing a photo I took of one of them actually being taken!

At the link pakarang referred to, take a look in the second-to-last row, second photo from the right –you can see Lofoten in the thumbnail. Click on it to get the whole view and note someone’s leg and elbow on the extreme right edge! Obviously a not-elegant stance, but more a tripod-imitating photo-taking pose! Here’s the result!:

Comment

• Sigve
        Sigve commented
        Editing a comment
        Seagull: I don't understand how you manage to be in the right place, to the right time, time after time.....
        Bringing home great pictures!
        I take off my hat...

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your kind comment Sigve. It’s probably the stubborn determined side of my personality that kicks in once I make my mind up to do something!
        As you’ll soon see below in my next post in this thread!

Looks like Serenissima has been in this position since November 4th:

And that happens to be a shipyard in Trogir, west of Split. Maybe she is installing her stabilizers?

Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Impressive “Serenissima-stalking”, Sigve. I’m specially interested in this…

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      I also firmly believe that each and every one of us, should make an effort to sail on the Serenissima when she starts sailing too....
      Oh how well I remember pakarang saying that back in January this year ...and thinking that I for one would not need any persuasion! Indeed I had already dreamed of going on the ship's first return voyage to Norway, but life got a bit complicated and by the time I felt in a position to plan ahead, the cruise was already booked up. Undeterred, I managed, as you know, a very spontaneous and hastily arranged visit to Norway to see Serenissima's return to the Trondheimsfjord and her call in Tromsø. Though 2013 is not yet passed, I have no doubt that that the emotional visit there will for me be the year's highlight.

Nevertheless I had still not set foot aboard Serenissima or sailed with her, and during the months when cruise companies announce their intentions for 2014 and bookings begin, it seemed I was once again caught in exactly the same situation as I had been a year earlier. But I've reached a limit, done my best; no one can know what the future holds, and while living in the present moment is considered admirable, my wise mother always used to say one should always have something to look forward to!

All of which is just a roundabout way of saying that I have booked a cruise on Serenissima, "Sicily and The Barbary Coast", 22 October – 8 November 2014!

It may not seem to you to be my obvious choice of itinerary, but with my mind made up I had no desire to be wait-listed for the limited single-cabin availability on those northern trips. Besides, I had experienced Serenissima in Norway, so the destination no longer seemed so important. The cruise I have booked on had not long been released and I even had a choice of cabin. (Sorry, I cannot bring myself to say "stateroom" in this context! ) Go check out the deck plan …Cabin 424. I’ve never managed to get a cabin on the equivalent deck on Lofoten ever! So excited!

Actually the cruise itinerary isn't really "not-me". With London flights included, boarding Serenissima is in Malta, an island where, way back in my 20's, I nearly went to work at a university solar observatory. I later went there on holiday, and to Sicily too which I also liked very much. These places lie on the edge of Europe, and that appeals to me –and will seem even more evident as this trip continues to Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco (flying back from Casablanca).

Even so, it is the ship that excites me above all …
      But right now I know what you're thinking ...she'd better get on with her Fram trip report!!!!!

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        Berlusconi???? I thought he only like very young girls???

• Sigve
        Sigve commented
        Editing a comment
        As you understand, Cecilia, there is great excitement around your upcoming Serenissima cruise. And we are already looking forward for your trip report from the Propeller Suite!
        Last edited by Sigve; November 20th, 2013, 20:59.

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Good one Ombugge! …umm, although I wouldn’t mind encountering the actor that plays YOUNG Inspector Montalbano in the prequel TV series! And yes Sigve, I think myself and our member Harald Jarl must have been the only folk who actually ASKED for the “propeller suite” 279 on NX!

Perfectly booked and strategically the optimum cabin! Quick outside and very quick one deck higher. We will see wonderful pictures of the backwater.
      I made a notice and will present you from time to time something interesting about Valetta, Agrigento, Trapani, Palermo, Cefalu, Panarea/Lipari, Taormina, Catania, Syracuse, Sousse, Carthage, Annaba, AlgiersM Ghazouet, Tangier and Casablanca. That will be an interesting new thread!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Serenissima still docked in Trogir November 30. 2013.

Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
          All of which is just a roundabout way of saying that I have booked a cruise on Serenissima, "Sicily and The Barbary Coast", 22 October – 8 November 2014!
          I'm green with envy!

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
          ... Go check out the deck plan …Cabin 424. I’ve never managed to get a cabin on the equivalent deck on Lofoten ever! So excited.
          Now, if you are geeky about deck plans - particularly H-J/Andrea/Serenissima deck plans - then you will love this:
          Last edited by Clipper; December 1st, 2013, 09:28.
          Deck plan geek.

Comment

Dear Clipper, You are wonderful - I’m in deck plan HEAVEN!!!!!

Originally posted by Clipper View Post
            I'm green with envy!
            ...a gull’s gotta do what a gull’s gotta do!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Clipper
              Clipper commented
              Editing a comment
              Cecilia, you have encouraged me to add a new line to my sig.

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Pleased to see, DPG Clipper!

Serenissima is there too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/worlddi...7635973419926/
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

February 11, 2014:

Sea trials, before the season? With stabilizers installed?

Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

Sigve, yes "with stabilisers?" is the big question. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a report soon.

I think the news is positive. The Noble Caledonia site now say that, "for added comfort, the vessel features stabilisers."
                Last edited by Clipper; February 12th, 2014, 22:37. Reason: Extra information
                Deck plan geek.

Comment

• Sigve
                  Sigve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Let's hope. Seagull will tell us, after her cruise....

• Seagull
                  Seagull commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I certainly will - The Mediterranean can be far from being a millpond in November - but on the other hand you know that I do like to feel I'm actually at sea!
                  However I'm sure that she'll need those stabilisers subsequently. If you've been browsing the Noble Caledonia site, you may have discovered that Serenissima will cross the Atlantic! She has a cruise through the Panama Canal over next Christmas/New Year, and this time next year in February she'll be exploring around Cuba.

• Clipper
                  Clipper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cecilia, I hadn't got that far into the NobCal. site so didn't know of those destinations. Serenissima must have crossed the Atlantic several times as Andrea but I think the Panama Canal will be an all time first for her. I wonder how many ex-Hutigrutene have made it into the Pacific? Not too many I suspect. Those wonderful old Burmeister & Wain engines seem to want to run forever.

She is a good sea boat, but there are times when some of her passengers might appreciate stabilisers!

This is a short clip I took of her bouncing a little off the Azores in 2008.
                http://youtu.be/TTVcPW7uNa0

She's still on our "bucket list" to go back on, after we enjoyed her so much on her cruise south from Tromso last June/July, but the prices have gone up a lot.

That engine is wonderful isn't it, and even more delightful is that her engine crew seem so proud of it.

Comment

Nice video Bonxie.

Looks like she is pitching more than rolling but it's hard to tell from beam on. Maybe she was doing the dreaded "corkscrew" with a bit of yaw for good measure.
                  Deck plan geek.

Comment

March 29, 2014:

At last! To day Serenissima left the shipyard in Trogir after a several months long stay! Her destination is given as Split. Now she's ready for the cruise season 2014? I wonder what they have done with her at the yard...

Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

I suspect she has had the stabilizers installed by now.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                      X