X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull
    replied
    Day 6 5th October 2017 Naples, Italy.

Early morning out on deck. It is starting to get light, but perhaps you can still make out the constellation of Orion in the resized photo - look for the three stars of Orion's belt between the aerials!

Vesuvius! For a moment, seen from this distance, I thought it looked a little bit like Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh! Some years ago, in the Firth of Forth and heading for the port of Leith aboard Fram I had the opposite of such a sensation, the sweep of the coastline taking on a rather Italianate aspect in the morning light.

This is actually my first visit, and once again in such circumstances I am so happy to be arriving on Serenissima. Sunrise in the bay of Naples doesn't get better than this!

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    What a beautiful port that was - another place to put on my "places to visit"-list.

There is a lot of charm I can see, but the morning arrival was the thing that was the best. Seeing the arrival from sea to shore, in changing light must clearly have been worth getting out of bed for.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Such an amazing report about this interesting port call. Fitting into this small port between the ferry traffic is really thrilling. They did a great choice, when they decided for this call. Perfect!

Leave a comment:

• nari
    commented on 's reply
    Wonderful photos for us to ponder about, Cecilia - as usual. Serenissima still has her original HJ engines?? That is impressive.

• Azimut
    replied
    You provide amazingly beautiful photos from your trip with "Serenissima" with pictures from land and on board.
    Great to read that D was pleased with the engine room.
    There is something special with these old ships that still have the original machine from they were new.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    commented on 's reply
    Nice pictures,as usual Cecilia. Glad you enjoyed Bonifacio and had the chance to dock close to the Haute Ville.

• Seagull
    replied

And finally the sunset at the close of a perfect day.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    I'll end with a few little 'arty' ’details from the engine room, the kind that might look good framed as a tryptych.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

After lunch Sea-Troll is in demand...

…and D is impressed by the engine room

He wasn't the only one. Serenissima has increasingly found her admirers, but another first-timer had actually been aboard before! He was thrilled at being able to visit the famous engine room, and everyone wanted to photograph the T-shirt!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

More geological views...

...and Serenissima emerges from the harbour and into the open sea.

A last look back at Bonifacio,with Le Lyrial at anchor. And so we are on our way to Naples, a distance of some 250 nautical miles.
    But the pleasures of this wonderful day are by no means over.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

As Serenissima pulls out from the quay, Giraglia makes her turn in front of us

We are ready to go, the ferry positions herself...

...and we are are on our way.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Back aboard.

Naturally I'll be taking the late time for buffet lunch - it's now nearing time for departure, and that also involves more ferry-watching. Specifically the arrival of Moby's Giraglia.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

How about this for a picture of Serenissima and the fortifications! (...and that 'troll-face' from the other side!)

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

By the time I've had breakfast and gone ashore, a ferry of the competing line Moby has arrived, loaded, and is about to depart!

One of those motorised mini 'trains' has been organised to take us up to the town. (The word 'troll' would doubtless have come into it had we been in Norway, and I must admit thinking about a troll's face in profile earlier!) At the top I also joined the walking tour in a small group with a brilliant guide who strolled with us on a delightful route, exploring the narrow streets and taking us to the most interesting churches which I might otherwise have missed. I had sussed out a nice café stop, which kept D happy. While some chose to take the train ride back to the ship, a few of us reunited with the guide to return to sea level, enjoying breathtaking views on the way. Every possible combination of activities had been thought out to enable everyone to make the most of their morning in Bonifacio, which really felt like a long relaxing day. After saying goodbye to the guide, we sauntered along past the yachts in the marina where we chatted to a man and his son who had sailed to Europe from Melbourne, Australia! And I had more time to look at the rocks in detail.

This photo was taken from the 'train' as it wound its way up to the town.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Serinissima is going to turn so will be port side alongside and facing in the correct direction for departure.

Only after I've seen us tied up do I even think about breakfast!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X