No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A photo rather different in feel and scale from that of the previous day, now with old and new juxtaposed.

Comment

• Of course! …visitor pass, and straight up to Deck 6!

Comment

• There’s opportunity to take more “details” and “different” kind of views from up here. I’m seeing people other than crew around Serenissima for the first time too …they’ll be the new guests, most fresh from their flights and about to start this second “southbound” cruise of the ship in Norwegian waters.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Rain! …so sudden and so heavy even I scurry from Midnatsol’s promenade deck to take refuge indoors. In the most un-midsummer manner imaginable, it becomes darker and darker, the rain heavier and heavier to the soundtrack of distant thunder. I decide I’ll spend the rest of the afternoon aboard Midnatsol. I’ve always thought of her as the summer ship to Trollfjord’s ice-blue winter, but in this rapid reversal of season and the unaccustomed darkness she seems cosy and almost intimate. I buy a warming drink, settle in a comfy chair, dry out my clothes and camera and, later, engage in conversation with some of her passengers. I hear myself explaining why I’m here, bubbling with Hurtigruten history and enthusiastic recommendations for that other older ship, even though she’s the one I’ve never yet stepped aboard either in the past or now in her reincarnation.

Comment

• Although they are taking down one of the gangways, it becomes apparent that Midnatsol will depart well before Serenissima does. I take a couple of last photos before going ashore and watching the hurtigrute leave. It’s even stopped raining!

Comment

• Safety drill! …life jackets being issued. Someone’s waving in my direction. It takes me a moment to realise they’re actually waving at me …we met aboard Nordstjernen on her last voyage from Svalbard to Bergen last year! Later my friends came ashore to say hello and chat a while, before their dinnertime.

Comment

• As Serenissima wouldn’t be departing until considerably later than the port security man had told me the previous day, I adopted the familiar surroundings of the Rica hotel lobby as my base to watch the ongoing activity. Many of the ship’s new guests were taking the opportunity to go ashore and stroll around the quays now the weather had cleared.
                    At around 10 o’clock that evening, the last preparations were made for departure.

Comment

• Comment

• My last goodbye as Serenissima left Tromsø. Until I one day sail on her!

Complicated circumstances may have got in the way of my earlier dreams of travelling aboard “H-J” on her return home, but in the most satisfying and special of ways everything in this short week turned out to be for the best …and better than I could ever have possibly imagined.

Comment

• Re: ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Thank you very much for providing all these nice pictures of the Serenissima in Tromsø. Were inspiring to see how you handle the different weather during the stay.

Comment

Beautiful photos from Tromsø Cecilia! M/S Serenissima looks in good condition, hope she will stay like that in many years!

Comment

Thank you so much for these wonderful photos (and your words!) Cecilia. How special to have been able to document so well and so thoughtfully her return in Norwegian waters.
                              She really looks like a beautiful ship, a very sympathetic restauration, she seems to have retain all her soul and yet look fresh and new and modern (I really like those stern decks!).
                              It must have been a good surprise to see your friends aboard, with whom you seem to share a particular fondness for the older Hurtigruten ships!
                              MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                              Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                              My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

I want to put a lot of "LIKE"s in here. What a wonderful thread. And such an adventure to share your experiences!!
                                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                                X