ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

...just wonderful. A great revival of the old days...
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Re: ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

A great set of pictures Cecilia.

#535-2, #536-1 and #537-1 show the new (Andrea) walkway arrangements better than I have seen before.
      ---------------------------
      Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
      Deck plan geek.

Comment

Serenissima in Tromsø – 25 June 2013

The following morning –blue sky and sunshine and a pleasant ambiance along the quay, folks sitting out in front of the Rica Hotel enjoying the view of the beautiful ship.

Comment

From the end of the fence I could take a photo, or even three to join together in an idyllic and definitive “Serenissima in Tromsø” featuring the bridge and the Arctic church…and an idyllic blue sky.
          I felt pleased to have got such a view captured, for I was sure such weather was not going to last …but that was by no means a bad thing.

Comment

Comment

I had set off on a walk, occasionally distracted by this and that but always with the intention of seeing Serenissima from other spotterplaces and viewpoints. So I was pleased to come across this view, shades of grey, traditional ship, new architecture, timeless wood boards and the pattern of the dampness of an overnight shower of rain.
              Indeed it was almost raining again – that fine “Scottish mist” kind of drizzle, but with north Norwegian changeability. Wriggling into waterproof trousers I’m ready for whatever the weather throws at me as I wander by the water between the jumble of jutting out fingers of land and buildings new and old.

I’m looking for something …or rather somewhere…
              Have you guessed yet?

Comment

Yes! there HAD to be a “pakarang viewpoint”!
                In Trondheim I had found it at a moment of brightening sunlight but now in Tromsø the reverse as the grey mist slithered in, water ever so slightly shimmering in a manner more magical than any mirror-reflection could have been.
                She seemed almost unreal in that soft silence, like a dream ship, a ship of the imagination.

This was the scene, the moment, that I had travelled so far to experience.

Comment

Comment

It was raining heavily by the time I’d headed back to the centre of town, taking shelter from the downpour and enjoying a coffee and pastry at the excellent Kaffebønna in the market square. But soon and even more suddenly the sun came back, and I was away and jumping on a bus to whisk myself across the bridge, alighting with a few independent tourists finding their own way to the Arctic church.

I didn’t join them in their sightseeing, instead crossing the complicated (for a mere pedestrian!) road intersections at the bridge approach, and continuing along the shore. There are various commercial premises, adjacent areas where cars and trucks park, and some unobstructed views across the water …this might even have been exactly where our dear Asimut had taken his marvellous unforgettable image of Serenissima’s arrival the previous day. May I urge you all to look back at both his images NOW! …for it was only when I had searched for the place myself that I actually appreciated the astounding precision of that capture of the two ships as Serenissima passed Lofoten.

Here is my view that following day, looking across the water to where Serenissima finally moored, directly alongside the Rica Hotel and thus further to the right of Asimut’s arrival photo. I could not have picked a better time as the sunlight crept around to gently illuminate her starboard side.

Last edited by Seagull; July 10th, 2013, 17:22.

Comment

I decided to walk back across the bridge, and needless to say I kept looking across at the ship! Here I get a view featuring the mountains beyond the island.

Comment

From the bridge itself… sparkling sunlight, blue sea and sky and mountains, the small boat harbour …and Serenissima!

Comment

So beautiful.

Comment

I was taking in more practical details also, looking below me as I continued my walk across the bridge, and recollecting arcticGateway’s farewell to Nordstjernen and Asimut’s walks in remains of winter snow. And so I found a way through the shipyard (all the time making sure I had not transgressed any not-fully understood notices, though of course ready to explain the special-ness of my Serenissima mission should I inadvertently have trespassed!)
                            Views of, around and from the breakwater:

Comment

Comment

Just as I was returning around breakwater, the northbound hurtigrure arrived! Midnatsol!

Comment

Working...
                                X