No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked Noble Caledonia about the advertised December cruise and they replied
    This cruise has now been cancelled and the Ship is currently not in use.
    Noble Caledonia often charter ships and I had hoped that they had managed to charter Andrea, somehow, for December- but obviously not

Comment

Here is a ships' schedule for visiting Split. There might be a slight chance that Andrea could be spotted from one of the ships' webcams.

http://www.portsplit.com/index.php?o...d=70&Itemid=66

Comment

Jan-Olav, thank you for authorising my account.

I was aboard Harald Jarl in Summer 1985, from Honningsvåg to Svolvaer. This was the first stage of my return trip home to England. The outward journey was via Arlanda airport (Stockholm) and Narvik, to Nordkapp. The stretch from Narvik to Nordkapp was by bicycle.

Although I was aboard Harald Jarl for just 37 hours, I have always had a strong emotional attachment to her. She is one beautiful ship. My friend finds her beautiful too. He is a retired Royal Navy officer, so that makes it official!

Here are a couple of photos from 1985.

That's Harald Jarl pushing out of her berth at the top of the photo.

I'm afriad the standard of photography comes nowhere near that in other posts here. It was a cheap camera and these images are scans of prints.

If anyone is interrested in reading about the whole of my Norway holiday and seeing more photos, then you can do so here. This was a little project I set myself when learning how to make web sites 10 years ago.

Thanks for a great site Jan-Olav. And thanks to everyone for all the info and photos about Harald Jarl.

Let's hope she survives her current predicament and SOLAS regulations in 2010. Fingers crossed there must be a way to save her.

Best wishes
        Clipper
        Last edited by Clipper; August 25th, 2009, 23:32.
        ---------------------------
        Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
        Deck plan geek.

Comment

I wish you once again a warm welcome on board our board and hope that you will enjoy your time with us.

Harald Jarl is most certainly a very special ship, and there are still many fans of her around. We are all a bit nervous on her current predicament and quite curious to learn what is in store for this veteran.

We all hope for the best for her, she is as far as we know, well kept and has been in a running condition up until she was taken in 'arrest'.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Welcome Clipper!!! I loved your biking website and photos. Made me tired, though, thinking of all those miles and all those rpms--legs going around and around and around....

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more from you!!!!!!!

Comment

Hello Clipper, and a warm welcome.
              I so enjoyed your photos and reading about your extraordinary trip. Also a little bit envious that you were aboard Harald Jarl! - I was too slow in first discovering the delights of travelling by Hurtigruten, and managed to just miss out on some classic traditional vessels.

Comment

Thank you for your kind comments on my little holiday web site. It was fun to make and also fun to look back on. It was made for 640 x 480 resolution screens, which is why the photos seem a bit small now. Things have moved on since then. Maybe I should scan the photos again and make them larger this time.

Also - I forgot to say in my post that those photos were taken in Svolvaer harbour. I expect you knowledgable guys know that already. The second one is taken from the high bridge that spans the harbour. You get a really great view from up there. I wish I had had more time to explore the Lofoten Islands but Svolvaer was just an overnight stop on the way back to Narvik.

I am envious of a guy called Ole Jacobi who has not only cycled round the Lofotens (and many other places) with his wife but also made a record of some great scenes in watercolour! You can see and read all about it here.

And by the way, are people aware of the little book "2500 Miles on the Norwegian Coastal Steamer" by Erling Welle-Strand, published by the Hurtigruten operating companies, ISBN 82-90103-07-7? My copy is an English translation, 14th Impression. It's not dated but from some of the photos I guess it was first published in the 1960s maybe early 1970s. I guess it was produced as publicity material and the great thing is that it lacks a copyright statement .

Most of the photos are of coastal scenes but there's one very clear photo of a ship with the caption "A coastal steamer leaves Bodø". When I get time, I will scan it so you experts can identify her. I know she's not the Harald Jarl (the side portals(?) are rectangular not angled and the mast arrangement is different), but I guess she is of the same vintage - maybe built by the same shipyard.

Best wishes
                Clipper
                Last edited by Clipper; August 23rd, 2009, 03:36.
                Deck plan geek.

Comment

I have scanned the photo I mentioned and will post in a new "Hurtigruten" topic.

Clipper

However - my ISP is having problems with FTP at present so I can't upload my photo. Will try again tomorrow.
                  C
                  Last edited by Clipper; August 23rd, 2009, 23:58.
                  Deck plan geek.

Comment

Please forgive me if someone has already posted this but I wonder, could this be Andrea in Split harbour? I estimate the length at 91 metres - (using Haversine formula on the lat/long of bow and stern) - which is a little long but the measurement is very crude.

This is a Yahoo! Maps image as served on http://www.flashearth.com/. The lat/long are very close to those given by Seaweb in Ombugge's post #13.

What do you think?

Clipper
                    Deck plan geek.

Comment

Thanks for the find Clipper...

Umm... a little hard to say, but I would guess that this is not the Andrea / Ex Harlad Jarl. The shape of the hull does not look like her, but that might just be my opinion.

If I were to bet on it, I would say that this is not the ship...

Anyone else?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'm not so confident myself.

If nobody is able to confirm then maybe delete these posts so it doesn't spoil this Andrea:::HJ thread. That would be good for the site and will also help spare my blushes

Clipper
                        Deck plan geek.

Comment

Clipper, it was worth a try!!
                          Puzzles like this are a lot of fun and we all like to test our knowledge. So keep on, finally it is an interesting link!
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I agree with Ralf there..... it's fun, it's great... we find things, we ask and share... sometimes we are lucky, sometimes it's a little more hard...

But common for most times, we learn something new and we get to talk about the things we love and are passionate about. That's what is making this so fun!

Next time, it might very well be Andrea...

Comment

Clipper posted:
                              "Please forgive me if someone has already posted this but I wonder, could this be Andrea in Split harbour?"

Definitely not Andrea.
                              Because she's got a large viewing platform on the front deck where the crane was,
                              plus a "thing" (for entering fwd cabins) where the cargo hatch was.
                              So no need to study more details.
                              Last edited by HARALD JARL; August 27th, 2009, 19:30.

Comment

I've decided I'm no good at aerial recognition. I won't be giving up my day job!

Thank you all for your understanding.

Useless new boy
                                Clipper
                                Deck plan geek.

Comment

Working...
                                X