Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull
    replied
    I think I mentioned somewhere that D had taken ALL the organised excursions on the cruise, but I had forgotten the one exception that afternoon. Although there had been ample free time to relax over coffee at a quayside café, he had decided to return to the ship for lunch and remain aboard, rather than either staying in the town or joining an excursion to the Saleccia Botanical Park. He had probably done enough walking for one day, and botany isn't really his thing anyway.

I managed to take this view from the zodiac while returning to the ship to have lunch with him, before joinging the group on the botanical visit.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

We joined the walking tour excursion around Calvi, during which there were views of Serenissima from the fortifications.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

The pilot arrives...

...and the pilot boat rapidly moves off.

Half an hour later - the pilot leaves Serenissima.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Day 3 – 2nd October 2017 – Calvi, Corsica, France.

The Chief Officer was on duty next morning.

I get my first view of Corsica, a new destination for me.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    I have to say that I love that first photo in post 1331... maybe it's the colour, the composition, or just the fact that this is one strong memory of her in my mind, from the time she was sailing Norwegian waters.

So awesome to see that due to her size, she is able to get in to places none of those giant ships are even remotely able to get into.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    Yes Yves! I thought YOU would know We did indeed visit Le Castelet, and get to taste Frégate's rosé!

• yvneac
    commented on 's reply
    Yes Sanary is a nice little town. Maybe the hilltop village was Le Castelet or La Cadière d'Azur, both in the wineyards. As for le domaine de la Frégate I like its rosé.

• Seagull
    replied
    Maybe this town will be unfamiliar to some of you, as it was to me when I first saw the name Sanary-sur-Mer on the itinerary. I'd looked it up and found that it is "a popular coastal resort on the Cote d'Azur between Bandol (to the west) and Toulon (to the east). A relatively quiet resort compared to many on the Riviera it is a pleasant place to explore".
    Such are the delights of cruising on a small ship that you can arrive directly at places like this. I had thought it would be suitable for D to wander around, sit at a café, and take things easy, but he wanted to go on the excursion. So we visited a hilltop village, and also vineyards of the Bandol wine region with a tasting at Domaine de Frégate.

Returning to the harbour, I took a photo of the lighthouse which also shows Serenissima at anchor, but I don't seem to have any of the Captain's Welcome Dinner that evening.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

D decides to take the last place on this zodiac after instructing me to take a photo of him.

Here is his photo of my zodiac arriving in the harbour.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

A view of the harbour at Sanary-sur-Mer, full of small boats. We will however be at anchor and using the zodiacs to go ashore in the the afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Time for breakfast!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

In this photo I kept the horizon horizontal, and this also reminds me of how the ship was tending to list to starboard in these wind conditions.

You see it here too in this starboard forward facing view of deck 6

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Day 2 – 1st October 2017 – Sanary-sur Mer, France.

Early morning sunshine out on deck.

It was an 'at sea' morning - the ship was expected to arrive at Sanary-sur-Mer nearer noon - so I was out on deck but unsurprised by the lack of other early risers. Especially so after the movements of the ship overnight which I mentioned in my earlier discussion of the stabilisers (end of #1321).

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    I so agree! Most mornings the first thing I do is check where she is (sometimes even BEFORE looking to see if you have posted anything!!!!! ).
    Today she is in Madagascar.

• pakarang
    replied
    So cool to see your memories from your second cruise with the Serenissima.

it thrills me beyond words to see that the venerable old lady still are sailing and operating cruises all across the world. She is indeed a very strong ship that has seen so much of the world, so much more than the coastline of Norway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X