Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Amazing pictures of the "Serenissima" Jan-Olav
    She looks like a yacht of the great classic type in my opinion, beautiful ship

All pictures are magnificent, but I really like the night photo # 418/4
    Simply a very beautiful picture you have taken.

Really looking forward to the rest of the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Breathtaking photos!!!
      I don't know anything about the owning company or concept under which she would sail, but the idea of a cruise ship is very far away for me.
      When I see her I'd rather think about a luxary yacht not for ordinary people buying a cruise, but extencive rich people paying their way with absene amount of money per ticket.
      If so, that is something sad in the middle of all the happiness over the shkp itself...
      It seems she will be hired out to various operators, and the cruises she will be used for by Noble Caledonia this year aren't cheap, but then also not obscenely priced, as it seems to me. Looking at this list of Serenissima cruises with prices... prices starting from £3195 for an eleven-nights cruise from Tromsø to Aberdeen including a flight Aberdeen-Tromsø and apparently everything included (full board, shore excursions, gratuities to crew etc.) - I think this is reasonable. The price is similar to a Hurtigruten voyage of the same length, if you add excursions and flight... so it's still not just a ship for the very rich
      Last edited by Gestumblindi; April 14th, 2013, 19:35. Reason: typo

Comment

Ok, didn't check in on prices and what the fees would cover..., so thanks for that info
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Do we know, does Serenissima still have the original Burmeister & Wain maskinen or has she been re-engined in this latest refit?

Edit: It's OK, Jan Olav's feature article provides the answer, "yes, the original engine is still in full use". Incredible!
          Last edited by Clipper; April 25th, 2013, 05:27.
          ---------------------------
          Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
          Deck plan geek.
          The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

Since her hull remained in the same design, she also appears to me much more as Andrea.
            There are two more aspects, which for me make a big difference between Harald Jarl and Andrea: The public space is reduced, two of my favourite areas on these ships are changed into cabins and not longer accessible: The panorama salon on the boat deck and new the gallery on the bridge deck. They made cabins with private balconies there! I must say, I would have to change my habits completely! Maybe spend more time on the (new) forecastle.
            Can't wait for detail pictures.
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Gestumblindi View Post
              It seems she will be hired out to various operators, and the cruises she will be used for by Noble Caledonia this year aren't cheap, but then also not obscenely priced, as it seems to me.
              For some months I have had my name on the waiting list for the Noble Caledonia trip from Oban in Scotland via the Orkneys (standing stones at Stenness), Skara Brua (5000 year old village), St Kilda, (sea-birds a-plenty), Canna, Skye, Lunga, Iona, then down to Ireland where at one place the local Gaelic-speaking people will hold a story-telling and dance session, then finally to the Scillies and on to Falmouth to disembark.
              These trips get booked up almost from year to year, and for a single cabin - of which there are 7 - it is certainly expensive. But then, as Gestumblindi says, it is all inclusive, not only of full board, tips and, I think, collection from Edinburgh station/airport at the beginning and delivery to Falmouth station at the end of the trip, but for the experts who lead the time ashore, reaching places by Zodiacs which are normally unreachable by larger boats.
              Noble Caledonia chartered the ship from her American owners (as the Andrea) for many trips, and it looks as if they will be doing so again in future years as she proved popular.
              This is the only kind of organised holiday I would go on, for that way I can see places - the small, isolated sites - that I could never reach alone. Even then, I know I would be slipping away from the group to do my own little side excursion as often as possible!
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

She sure is.......... (wait for it...you know you have missed it.......)

PRETTY......

Comment

Just a quickie before the coffee and liqueurs arrive at my re-located due to severe weather birthday lunch! ....

E! ..yes certainly pretty, but you should be thinking Gustavian yellow!
                  Edit:- good news update E ...pink walls in the "Andrea Lounge"

Ivy ..not entirely sure which voyage you were waitlisted for (as the one I recollect that ended in Falmouth started in Aberdeen not Oban). I too was close to voyaging on Serenissima this summer...BUT...

Dear both Ladies ...realise I haven't been in touch recently ... update soon on the Seagull away a while thread ...but the short answer to what you are wondering travel-wise is Fram.
                  Last edited by Seagull; April 16th, 2013, 21:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    Ivy ..not entirely sure which voyage you were waitlisted for (as the one I recollect that ended in Falmouth started in Aberdeen not Oban). I too was close to voyaging on Serenissima this summer...BUT...
                    Yes, sorry, it was Aberdeen. I've got Oban on the brain. I shall keep an eye out for their next brochure, though.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I had some fun again to follow our Captain.
                      On Facebook he links to his site trondheimsfjord.net for a Serenissima-report.
                      On trondheimsfjord.net he links over to this:

http://captainsvoyage.com/hurtigrute...rald-jarl.html

A promising start with stunning pictures and detailed informations... just a little bit complicated to find.
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Congratulations Ralf!!!!! I was just logging in here to give everyone the details if Captain hadn’t done so yet!

A video has now been added at the end of the wonderful Serenissima report that Ralf already gave the link to: http://captainsvoyage.com/hurtigrute...rald-jarl.html
                        Turn up the sound and enjoy!
                        ...and if you already found your way to the Serenissima report some days earlier, do check back as some extra photos have been added since it was originally published – perfectly complementing both the marvellous description of the ship and the places she visited on this maiden voyage.
                        Last edited by Seagull; April 19th, 2013, 05:53.

Comment

Dear all,

Lots more images to be shared - thank you all so very much for watching and for sharing the video. I love seeing that people play it and like it, and share it with their friends.

www.trondheimsfjorden.net (under the "Nyheter" tab) contains a couple of entires about the Serenissima - after all, she is a Trondheim ship! She has off course also been mentioned on www.mskongolav.net

The video and the picture report: http://www.captainsvoyage.com/hurtig...rald-jarl.html

Stay tuned!
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

So, how far were we last time I posted some images?

I think this would be the correct continuation!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Comment

Did you all notice that this particular thread has been viewed nearly 7500 times the past 14 days??

That is a brand new record for any thread here at CaptainsVoyage Forum!

Comment

Working...
                                X