Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull
    replied

The port of Corinto is the main port of Nicaragua, and it was nice to see some commercial activity, although the port was actually rather quiet at this time in the morning, and a calm sea to match.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Day 8 - 29th January 2017 - Corinto, Nicaragua.

The ship reaches a new country overnight, and when I take my customary stroll around the decks, the pilot boat is just arriving.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    Nice one ombugge

• Seagull
    replied
    Oh what a lovely post dear Deck Plan Geek.

It makes me realise thàt I ought to have taken more responsibility in this forum to document the comings and goings of our HJ following pakarang's presence aboard her on the 'maiden voyage' as Serenissima. Our ship was actually into transatlantic winter seasons, very much including Cuba well before the present scenario in changed political circumstances when it seems anything that floats wants a slice of that action. Serenissima made a number of circumnavigations of Cuba in an ideal small ship context (as well as in conjunction with the more familiar island cruise destinations in the Caribbean, though at those popular places there are probably more suitable small ships for guests whose focus is more on sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling).

From the start there were a number of itineraries taking in destinations across on the Pacific coast, and some of the Panama transit webcam pictures were captured here on CVF.

Now I didn't really think I had a 'bucket list'. I'm a go back to places kind of person. But when I realised that Serenissima will be sailing in the Indian Ocean this coming winter season 2017/18, I accepted that absolutely anyone with even the slightest interest in ships wants to grab a chance to transit the Panama Canal, and for me that had to be on a hurtigrute! (and yes I wanted that to be on a surviving traditional ship, although ...update ...now possible on Fram, and maybe the newer Explorer Ships to and from Antarctica).

My cruise on Serenissima ended AFTER her last canal transit, and, although I have already shown photos from a land excursion to the new Panama Canal Expansion, there will of course be more of my onboard photos through the original canal locks here in this thread, to add to Bengt's wonderful capture from the Panama webcam which so delighted me!

So I hope this explains how, even on this perhaps last for the time being Pacific coast cruise for our ship, she made such newsworthy and super special 'firsts' in El Salvador.
    Last edited by Seagull; July 17th, 2017, 11:06.

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    replied
    Doh, I've just realised, this is Pacific coast!

So Serenissima must have passed through the Panama Canal again. Or did she round the Horn?

Leave a comment:

• nari
    replied
    USA,yes. Outback Australia can be risky as well. No-one with any sense would travel alone in the semi-desert; even a couple still has risks.

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    Oooh, Plan B! I'm fascinated.

BTW: your #1240-2 is rather special. That guy's smile lights the place up.
    Last edited by Clipper; July 15th, 2017, 12:52.

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    You could just change the heading to make it a warning for tourists who travel in certain parts of USA.

• Seagull
    replied

It's quite a party on the quay, and those two never seemed to stop dancing - I'd had a bit of a twirl with the fella myself at our VIP welcome!

It felt rather like the end of a cruise, saying goodbye after our marvellous time in El Salvador. In wishing the Salvadorans well for the future, I do wonder about their ambitions for bigger scale mass tourism. For now we were special, and I felt it had been a privilege and a pleasure to spend several days there in a 'small ship' context. It seemed bizarre to read this USA travel warning...

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

The Captain awaits the arrival of press and tourism dignitaries, and later I sneak into the Harald Jarl lounge to photograph the photographers!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

I thought to myself the ship will remember scenes like this - the band reminded me of being on a hurtigrute on the national day in Norway...

...but with an exotic Latin American carnival character!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Returning to the ship in the late afternoon, on this our last day in El Salvador, to a welcoming line up that made me feel like the Queen on a world tour!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Day 7 - 28th January 2017 – La Union, El Salvador.

Serenissima's second day at the port of La Union starts with a magnificent sunrise.

Our guides have arrived, and I'm taking a full day excursion, first driving past an agricultural landscape with a backdrop of volcanos to reach and visit a notable cacao plantation. In the afternoon in the coastal Jiquillisco Bay area, a Biosphere Reserve, the group boards local boats and and join researchers who monitor an endangered species of sea turtle.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    Oh yes pakarang! - and there I was clicking between webcams as you arrived in Venice! ...and then your magic moment lasted and went on to inspire my own first Serenissima voyage and arrival in Venice.

That observation platform really is genius. Not only the view forward. I never tire of taking the view looking aft from it also, and in this early morning photo (#1238/1) I particularly like that the lights are on in the Harald Jarl lounge, the guests in Suite 602 are awake, and you can see the lights on the bridge.

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    Absolutely not.
    Continuing to just use up my $35 worth, but in case of further meltdown before I'm up to date in this thread, don't despair! I have your name on my Serenissima Plan B list!
Working...
X