Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting Andrea in Bergen, summer 2008

It was real Bergen-weather when I visited Andrea in Bergen, June 2008:

The first thing I noticed was her battered hull, beaten by heavy seas and rough weather.

Andrea looked small compared to Costa Atlantica.

Except for some rolling, Andrea behaved well in the sea, said captain Eric Juvanovich.

The day after, I photographed Andrea in Nærøyfjorden.

---
    I posted these pictures at the time in another maritime forum, and there is a link to them much earlier in this thread. But because of the great interest in Andrea matters, I choose to post them anew, also in this forum.
    More will follow.
    ---
    Regards, photo and copyright: Sigve.
    Last edited by Sigve; May 16th, 2010, 21:44.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Oh... dear.... that last image of Andrea sailing in mirror-calm waters is outstanding!

What a beautiful timeless elegant vessel she is! Brings almost a tear to my eyes!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Visiting Andrea in Bergen, June 2008, part II

In the restaurant, the tables were laid:

The earlier cafeteria/second class diningroom was now a pleasant lounge:

---
        More to follow.
        ---
        Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

Visiting Andrea in Bergen, June 2008, part III

In the main lounge, the expedition staff were ending their daily meeting:

The famous Kaare Espolin Johnson pictures were on the walls, although as copies, and therefore their colours were not quite correct:

---
          More to follow.
          ---
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

I visited Andrea in Bergen, June 2004.
            This was the last year without ISPS and fences, so it was no problem to walk along the cruise quay and asked to come for a visit onboard. In 2005 a crew member remembered me, so I could do a short visit in Travemünde, too.
            Both times I needed to hurry, running around the ship and if I stopped somewhere for a minute, my guide missed me and was irritated. So I forgot to visit the Espolin-Johnson salon and the bow.
            I took only few photos and at the moment I don't know where they are. The second problem, I should throw away my flat bed scanner, because there is no driver available for Windows 7. I am glad I scanned most photos of Harald Jarl before my old Computer crashed.

Why do you think the colours from Espolin Johnsons pictures are not correct?
            I thought the same when I saw the pictures on Trollfjord first time.

On Harald Jarl they hanged in the smoking salon, not the best place for famous art. The colours were dark and yellowed. I think the pictures were restored and cleaned before they were replaced to the library on Trollfjord.

Here the originals to compare. At this time I had only an old analog camera without flash, so maybe the colours are not realistic. But I am sure they look different on Trollfjord now.

Comment

Comment

Why do you think the colours from Espolin Johnsons pictures are not correct?
                I don't know what method was used when they copied these graphic works, but my impression was that it could not have been a high quality method, because of patches of discoloration in the pictures, fading, and that they were not light resistant. It was very easy to see that they were copies.
                ---
                Regards; Sigve.
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

Visiting Andrea in Bergen, June 2008, part IV

Then we move on to the boat deck:

A nice grill restaurant when good weather:

And the after deck:

The bridge deck:

And to the wheelhouse:

And the first mate showing us the captains sea chair:

---
                  More to follow.
                  ---
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

Visiting Andrea in Bergen, June 2008, part V

The upper lounge was converted into two suites. Very nice suites. However, this is what I did not like about her convertion; they took away the lounge which could give a view. From the lower lounge there is no view at all. Now you have to go outside to see the landscape/seascape.

The fore deck with the observation platform. The big white thing nearest is the entrance and stairway to cabins on the decks below.

---
                    More to follow.
                    ---
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

Visiting Andrea in Bergen, June 2008, part VI

I will end my picture essay with two shots of Andrea in Nærøyfjorden, the day after.
                      Andrea has many admirers, and I am (was) one of them. But earlier in this thread we have heard about her heavy rolling and possible structural damages. This is sad to hear. May be she will never come into service again, and that is a pity. All of us can agree upon one thing: She is a beautiful ship.

---
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                        Andrea looked small compared to Costa Atlantica.

Maybe small, but she looks like a SHIP, not like a block of tiny small flats floating on the water.

Edit: Correction, it looks like the inside of an American Prison, as seen in numerous movies.

Comment

Absolutely stunning and brilliant images of the Andrea: this was a great photo tour of the ship. She is so elegant inside, and it makes it even more so sad that she is no longer in operation.

She looks absolutely fantastic, as your images show...

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Waiting for the ship in Tromsø at midnight, August 2001.

Not a good sharpness, but I like this photos. In my mind I hear this special noise from the machine when Harald Jarl passed the bridge -

Comment

Ahhh.... maybe they are not super sharp, but I can feel the atmosphere they were taken in. During my younger teenage years, these images bring back a lot of memories from those years, standing at the dock in Rørvik watching the ships arrive and sail. Almost every single night of the week, I cycled the 4-5 kilometers to Rørvik in the evening to absorb exactly this kind of nautical enrichment.

Comment

Originally posted by Eilun View Post
                                I love rolling ships, but after some days in rough sea I am very tired. It is straining gliding through the bed all nights.
                                Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                Maybe small, but she looks like a SHIP, not like a block of tiny small flats floating on the water.
                                I've noticed this thread so many times, but only this morning had a look. And how glad I am that I did. The Harold Jarl is a sister to the Kong Olav, isn't she? I do so agree with Ombugge on his comment above. Just one glance at Sigve's 5th photo in post 161 would surely convince anyone.
                                I, too, love rolling ships and am just very lucky in being a good sailor. On the Harwich - Hook of Holland night ferry once I stayed up late standing on deck watching the horizon swing left to right, pause, right to left. And on the old Scillonian, the little boat that went across from Penzance in Cornwall to St. Mary's on the Scilly Isles, everyone else was down below being very ill, while I had the deck to myself in the sunshine, sliding from one end to the other of the bench. But oh! did my tummy muscles ache for the rest of the day. The old boat was flat bottomed because the seas there are so shallow. Presumably the current vessel is built the same, of necessity, but is better stabilised. Or you can take the chopper!
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; May 19th, 2010, 11:41.
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X