Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions? What would the next HRG ship be called?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Suggestions? What would the next HRG ship be called?

    Suggestions? What would the next HRG ship be called?

    Just thought we could have some fun by thinking ahead: if Hurtigruten ever came to the decision to build a new ship for the coastal fleet, what do you think the new ship would be named?

    Any good suggestions?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

    Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

    Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.


  • #2
    Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    Suggestions? What would the next HRG ship be called?

    Just thought we could have some fun by thinking ahead: if Hurtigruten ever came to the decision to build a new ship for the coastal fleet, what do you think the new ship would be named?

    Any good suggestions?
    I would like to see "Harald Jarl" or "Ragnvald Jarl" on a new HRG.
    Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

    Comment


    • #3
      what do you think the new ship would be named?
      And what kind of ships should that be? Large ones, like the Midnatsol-generation? Or more like the 1990-generation? Or like Fram? Or...?
      Should it be new buildings? Or are there excisting ships that can be adapted to this kind of traffic?
      ---
      Regards; Sigve.

      (PS: I vote for Harald Jarl. And Sanct Svithun, as stated in another thread...))
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

      Comment


      • #4
        I belive 'Jarl' is too attached to a specific company (Nordenfjeldske), and so it might not be suitable for a Hurtigruten ASA vessel...., I don't know...., just a feeling.
        But since the last one got the name "Fram" (forward), why not build a "Bak" (aft)

        Well, back to being serious here. Even though my suggestions also are connected to a certain company, I would like to see either "Irma" or "Sanct Svithun" sail our coast again.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

        Comment


        • #5
          The last one was named Fram after a polar wessel.
          Why not give the next on name after another almost forgotten polar wessel: GJØA.


          Gjøa was the ship used by Roald Amundsen to be the first to sail through the North-West Passage.
          The ship is a 70 ft sloop, and can today be seen at the Norwegian Maritime Museum in Oslo.
          Øistein

          If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

          Comment


          • #6
            That would be a logical way of thinking, but for all I know...., wouldn't GJØA be a difficult word for any foreign tongue...?
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

            Comment


            • nari
              nari commented
              Editing a comment
              My tongue is as foreign as anyone's but GJOA (can't put the slash in the 'O') sounds like Gyera.....not very romantic?

              I favour MAGAROYA - it is rather a significant peninsula what with Nordkapp and the start of my favourite fjord - Porsanger.....

          • #7
            A few months ago, I made a list of potential new names and have been waiting for an opportunity to post them.

            NEW NAMES
            • Hammerfest
            • Hestmannen
            • Honningvaag
            • MAGARØYA
            • Raftsund
            • Rorvik
            • Svolvaer
            • Torghatten

            REUSED NAMES
            • Lyngen

            It would be nice to honour the brave mariners of 1941-44 by choosing a name from the "substitute" ships that ran the route in that period (many for a very short time). However, I find it hard to make a choice. I would definately avoid "Åse" and "Hell" which don't work well for English speakers. "Polarfjell" is a great name.

            My favourites in bold.

            Clipper
            ---------------------------
            Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
            Deck plan geek.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              I would like to see either "Irma" or "Sanct Svithun" sail our coast again.
              Having read some of the history associated with the last two 'Sanct Svithun's', I feel it would be a great honour to the memory of those ships and the lives lost, to name a new Hurtigruten by that name. I would see it as a mark of respect for the past ships and the souls lost. 2012 will mark the 50th anniversary of the disaster that beset the Sanct Svithun, her passengers and her crew. I cannot think of a better way to commemorate those events, launch a new ship and give her that name.

              Some may say that it would be 'foolhardy' to give yet another vessel that name, and i would certainly agree if both of ships had been lost in the same way as the 1962 disaster. If both ships had foundered under the same circumstances - getting lost lost for no explained reason, then my superstitious side would kick in and say 'no', it would not be good to name yet another vessel with the same name. But, seeing that the first ship of that name was a victim of war, i do not feel it would be a bad thing to name another vessel 'Sanct Swithun'.

              Another superstition says, 'trouble comes in three's', but an equally strong superstition says, 'third time lucky'. So for me, i think it would be an honour to the past to name a new Hurtigruten vessel 'Sanct Swithun'.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                Having read some of the history associated with the last two 'Sanct Svithun's', I feel it would be a great honour to the memory of those ships and the lives lost, to name a new Hurtigruten by that name. I would see it as a mark of respect for the past ships and the souls lost. 2012 will mark the 50th anniversary of the disaster that beset the Sanct Svithun, her passengers and her crew. I cannot think of a better way to commemorate those events, launch a new ship and give her that name.

                Some may say that it would be 'foolhardy' to give yet another vessel that name, and i would certainly agree if both of ships had been lost in the same way as the 1962 disaster. If both ships had foundered under the same circumstances - getting lost lost for no explained reason, then my superstitious side would kick in and say 'no', it would not be good to name yet another vessel with the same name. But, seeing that the first ship of that name was a victim of war, i do not feel it would be a bad thing to name another vessel 'Sanct Swithun'.

                Another superstition says, 'trouble comes in three's', but an equally strong superstition says, 'third time lucky'. So for me, i think it would be an honour to the past to name a new Hurtigruten vessel 'Sanct Swithun'.
                Agree, but wouldn't one more ship mean they would have to reduce the fleet with one, to avoid the "unlucky" number 13???

                Comment


                • #10
                  have to reduce the fleet with one, to avoid the "unlucky" number 13???
                  There are already 13 ships today, including Fram:
                  NX, LO, VÅ - KH, NL, RW - PL, NK, NN - TF, FM, MS + Fram
                  ---
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---
                  IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Like Sigve, i am much more interested, how such a ship could look like.

                    A conversion of Fram's costruction into coastal needs? A rebuild of the 60ies class ships with new technologies? Will they buy a used midsize ferry?

                    My proposal was and is the purchase of Andrea (Harald Jarl) and/or Kong Olav and make a complete rebuild/refurbishment/modernisation. In this case we would need no new name.

                    For a real new one i would prefer Lyngen more than Sanct Svithun. No need to call the ghosts...
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Interesting suggestions... very interesting reading all your thoughts on this subject, and on the additional subject of what the new ship - if ever one - should look like.

                      I like Irma or Mira too... as well as Leda, but those are distinct BDS names similarly to the NFDS names of the Jarl's. Håkon Jarl is always been a favorite name of mine, but that goes for Sanct Svithun as well.

                      When it comes to Sanct Svithun, I highly doubt such a controversial name would ever be chosen again. But I agree, a beautiful name.

                      Other suggestions would be: Kronprins Haakon, a return of Narvik, or even a new Nordstjernen; how about filling the fleet with the name Nordnorge again (she doesn't seem to be returning...)... Vestkapp, or a brand new Raftsund?
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                      Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

                      Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        I believe it's highly unlikely that Sanct Svithun will be the name of any new vessel in the Hurtigruten out of two reasons:

                        - Given the history
                        - Like the "Jarl" ships of NFDS, the name Sanct Svithun is too attached to the city of Stavanger who is not a part of the Hurtigruten in any way anymore.

                        I think the company will continue their traditions with naming the ships after places along the coast, natural phenomenons (Midnatsol, Nordstjernen) etc.

                        I don't know when the next newbuilding is due, but if it's 10-15 years ahead in time Kong Haakon could be a hot issue...

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Well, I just can't believe you all........the answer is SOOOOO easy.

                          The next HRG ship should be named CAPTAINS VOYAGE....

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Nice one E
                            ---------------------------
                            Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                            Deck plan geek.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X