started a topic Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

We will continue here the old thread:

Hurtigruten ASA 2007 /-8 accounts: Disappointing results

former posts can be seen here:

http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/...=asc&start=144

• pakarang
    replied
    Aha.... thank you for that background information, Azimut.

Leave a comment:

• Azimut
    replied
    Owner of "Nordlys"

KIRBERG SHIPPING KS C/O REDERIET ODFJELL AS CONRAD MOHRS VEG 29
    5072 BERGEN
    NORGE

Owner of "Richard With"

KYSTRUTEN KS STØPERIGATA 2
    0250 OSLO
    NORGE
    POSTBOKS 1324 VIKA
    0112 OSLO
    NORGE

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    commented on 's reply
    Who owns these ships today?

I think Clipper might have a good point in regards to future contract for these ships.

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    What is the significance of this purchase?

Do I understand correctly that it is possibly a move designed to prevent these ships falling into the hands of competitors who might bid for some future coastal express "Hurtigruten" contract?

• Azimut
    replied
    According to an article in Hegnar.no, Hurtigruten will purchase "Richard With" and "Nordlys"
    They collected NOK 400 million for the purchase and refurbishment of the ships.

http://www.hegnar.no/Nyheter/Boers-f...nter-400-mill.

Leave a comment:

• Azimut
    replied
    It will be interesting to see what happens if other companies will operate along the route and whether they will be able to use the name Hurtigruten.
    Exciting to see what will happen and if this will end up in court.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    So back to my earlier expressed "worry".... if the current operator doesn't win the bid for the next tender, what will happen to the name "Hurtigruten" which they have "branded"?

In Norwegian, NRK published an article about that:

https://www.nrk.no/nordland/jusekspe...se-1.13707964?

In short terms, what it says is as follows:

A law expert states that Hurtigruten (ASA) can not claim ownership of a trademark forever.

If Hurtigruten prohibits a competing company the right to use the name Hurtigruten in their marketing, they may have to take it through the court system. No brandnames have eternal protection.

According to the department of transportation between 5 and 10 companies have announced their interest in the next tender.

Hurtigruten (ASA) registered the name as a branded trademark back in 1995. They claim the registration gives them eternal rights and exclusivity in using the name.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    This is a debate and history which can go any way now, I think.

As stated above, Hurtigruten is a trademark of a company, and if they do not win, or won't operate next contract, they will leave the service with their ships and well-known name.

What comes after that is anyone's best guess.

Did we mention that Hurtigruten has expressed interest in running the route on their own without the government influences?

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    "Hurtigruten" may not be there after 2019
    The name is owned by Hurtigruten ASA and they may not bid on the new Government contract:
    http://www.smp.no/nyheter/2017/09/28...ick_articles=2

Are we going to see two different set of ships sailing in parallel on the coast and competing for the cruise bit? One will be free to chose their schedule and ports of call, while the other company (or three?) will have to call at all 34 ports and carry freight and local pax as now.

Will there be any winner and looser, or will Hurtigruten as we know it be a white elephant and die??

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    That would be for sure a nice look, Clipper and for many Norwegians a more local identification (look, one of "our" ships!).
    The "H" id international and easier to recognize for all French, German, British, American, Chinese, Japanese and all the other tourists.

I tried to do some research, but couldn't find out the right numbers.
    How many percentage of the coastal route are tourists and how many are port-to-port travellers?
    How much do these groups spend per day and person in comparison?
    How "heavy" is the contract (NOK per year)?

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    replied
    I wonder if I am the only one who can see some scope for nostalgia here?

It's probably just a fantasy but would it not be wonderful to return to a federation of NORWEGIAN companies and the old FUNNEL COLOURS?

I really wouldn't miss ASA's "H".

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Yes, that might be ok for most of us.
    We had different companies operating before Hurtigruten ASA too. What I ment, and don't want, is foreign ferry companies, operating typically in the Mediterranean..., maybe Spanish, Greek or any Turkish company, to put it on a knifes edge.
    I try not to be prejudiced, but I downright expect you all understand what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    One company that MAY be looking at Hurtigruten is Fjord 1 and Per Saevik: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/2017/05/04...1-14682565.ece
    With their new found profitability and heavy wallet, why not?

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    I don't think that they will be able to divide the public tender for the same work in various small bids.
    So if there shall be a diversification, several bidders must join together before to give a common bid.
    And it is clear that this business can only run with the tourists. So this joint venture has also to be able to manage all this booking procedures, international marketing activities etc..
    Another big cruise company would easier be able to compete with Hurtigruten ASA than small Norwegian shipping companies.

In my opinion the are just building some cloud-castles to simulate a "real competition".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X