No announcement yet.

Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurtigruten to win prizes again; two gold and four silver at the Adrian Awards in New York Monday evening.

Link to norwegian article: http://www.banett.no/nyheter/article427333.ece
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Good news from and about Hurtigruten:

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/okonom...cle1590503.ece

HRG believes in a lasting budget surplus in the future.

...well, it depends on the contract with the Government off course.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hhurtigruten believes in a lasting budget surplus in the future:

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/okonom...cle1590503.ece

.... well, it all depends on the new contract with the Government off course.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Looked into the webpages of Hurtigruten today, because I wanted a confirmation if the southbound were cancelled or not. It was.
          Then I discovered something.
          I've always said (in comments to my own images of a hurtigrute) that it was late if arriveing after 4:15PM. It's not.
          I just discovered that the arriveing time in Kristiansund is 4:30PM, after being 4:00PM and 4:15PM in the past.
          Departure is still set to 5:00PM, which means that the docking in Kristiansund is reduced by 30 minutes over the past few years...., without anyone noticing, in a way.
          I know a group of people, both in business and politics, tried to get the hurtigruten to stay longer than 45 minutes here some years back.
          Now, after reading the updated schedule on the Hurtigruten webpage, it seems like their wish is torpedoed and sunk for good.

Has the rest of the ports along the coast also had their time of visit from hurtigruten reduced...? Maybe the company is trying to save fuel for their fleet by sailing slower...??
          (Can't see how, because my ais still show the fleet sailing at between 14 and 15 knots).
          Last edited by Sterkoder; March 21st, 2011, 22:17.

Comment

August last year I thought it was better you had no time to visit me, it would has been a disappointment. Nordstjernen arrived in Kristiansund 16:57 - departure 17:00. (no wind this day)
            In wintertime I spend some time scanning my old photos and I am often surprised. Ten years ago I left the ship in nearly each harbour. The last cruises I often ran to my cabin, picked up camera, tripod and warm clothes and when the ship was moored I heard the sentence: "It is only a short stay, please don't leave the ship."
            I remember Båtsfjord - the blue hour - perfect photo light, but not allowed leaving the ship because of a very short stay. (They loaded some freight and at the end the stay was 45 minutes) Ten minutes would be enough for a photo, but.... In Kjøllefjord someone was waiting for me and I got the permission to walk down the gangway and stand 5 minutes besides the ship for a short talk.
            I took a photo from the Neptune in Øksfjord the years 2001 and 2003. Since 2004 I never managed leaving the ship there. (Is Neptune still there?) The first cruises I walked in Kristiansund around the harbour and I looked in some shops. The last years I remember only "Please don't leave the ship!"

I thought the reason is Lofoten is getting old and slowly.
            I have the feeling it began with the automatic gangway control and the disinfection against illness. This all need some time, so it is easier the roundtrip passengers don't leave the ship and they can start on time. If it is not allowed to go for a walk in the small harbours, it is not necessary being there before departure time, except they have some freight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              ....I just discovered that the arriveing time in Kristiansund is 4:30PM, after being 4:00PM and 4:15PM in the past....
              Thanks for pointing that out, Sterkoder. Even a hurtigruten geek like me hadn’t actually known that the “real” expected arrival time has in the past been earlier, or even when it was supposed to be!

This is because for years, the timetable in the brochures has only shown times filled in for both the arrive and depart columns for the substantial long stays. The other ports, for example Kristiansund southbound, always just had 17:00 under Arrive, and just a dash under Depart. So I have never known when the “real expected arrive time” actually was!!!!

The first time I had noticed a “completely filled in” timetable was on the sheet distributed aboard TF in February a year ago. I don’t know when it changed on the website (for a time back then it had been difficult to even find the timetable on the website!)
              EDITED CORRECTION:- I have just found earlier paper sheets which give both arrive and depart times - I'll tell you all about it later this afternoon.

Originally posted by Eilun View Post
              ....I have the feeling it began with the automatic gangway control and the disinfection against illness....
              Thinking about it in retrospect, I tend to agree with you Eilun. That and the increasing numbers of the type of tourist that were more cruise oriented and scarcely realised they were on working ships.
              I always found it easier to take short photo stops from the traditional ships, where the tourists are generally more informed and the staff seem more confident that they won’t “loose” them at the short stops! And also I feel less embarrassed – less of a nuisance – in just leaving the ship for five minutes or so from the small ships.
              Last edited by Seagull; March 22nd, 2011, 16:24. Reason: Found extra info!

Comment

Here I am again, having just had an enjoyable fun morning looking through old Hurtigruten stuff!!!!!!
                So I can now report as follows:-

All the brochures I have do indeed give only one time for shorter stop ports, as described in the previous post, 17:00 in the case of Kristiansund.

However, I have found earlier paper sheets from various ships that give separate arrive and depart times.
                Of particular interest are two sheets from 2003:-
                One from Lofoten in March 2003 shows Kristiansand arrive 16:30, depart 17:00
                But the sheet from Midnatsol II (pre-Lyngen), dated April 2003 shows arrive 16:15 and depart 17:00
                So it actually changed to having 15minutes longer in port, though note that this was the Summer timetable whereas the March one was headed Winter timetable.
                All my later paper sheets which have separate times show arrival as 16:30

Comment

Fiction and reality??

Our friends from the German forum hurtigforum.de are just discussing the time schedule of Nordnorge, because they will join the next roundtrip. Funny to read, because there is nearly nothing as planned - in each port...

I regard the time-table as a rough orientation... and each stop will have another schedule...
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you for additional info both Cecilia and Eilun!!!

17:00 has always been the aimed for departuretime for hurtigruten in Kristiansund as long as I can remember.
                    16:15 has also been a pretty much set arrival time.
                    I see what you write about the time 16:30 in 2003, Cecilia....., but for now, I regard 16:15 as the time they arrive.
                    That was also the time the group from business, politics and travel once tried to change to 15:45, so that the pax could have 1:30 in Kristiansund. Then one could also arrange things/events or anything for the tourists.

It's the first time I see 16:30 arrival in any schedule, and I must wonder, when I read what Eilun writes, what is there to gain in a positive way for Hurtigruten as a company if they often enough order passengers to "not leave the ship!" ?? Beats me...

For the record: "Richard With" just sailed through the Sørsundet inlet on time (16:30)

Comment

Hurtigruten and the Norwegian Government finally reached an agreement.
                      Hurtigruten will sail the coast for yet another 8 years, starting in 2013, 52 weeks a year, 7 days a week.

Link to the norwegian newspaper Adresseavisen, Trondheim:
                      http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/okonom...cle1618174.ece

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        Hurtigruten and the Norwegian Government finally reached an agreement.
                        Hurtigruten will sail the coast for yet another 8 years, starting in 2013, 52 weeks a year, 7 days a week.

Link to the norwegian newspaper Adresseavisen, Trondheim:
                        http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/okonom...cle1618174.ece
                        Finally, at 8 o'clock this morning, the result of the long negotiations were publicized.

Hurtigruten Group was the only one who delivered a tender for the route, and naturally, they got it.

Here is another article with the same information:

http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/hurtig...roner/20045979

This deal is worth some 5,12 billion kroner for Hurtigruten Group.

Comment

English translation published on newsweb.no:

The Norwegian Ministry of Transport and
                          Communications and Hurtigruten ASA have entered into
                          a new agreement to operate the coastal route Bergen-
                          Kirkenes for the period 2012 - 2019. The key points
                          of the agreement are as follows:

· The agreement ensures daily departures from
                          all the existing 34 ports all year round.
                          · The agreement comes into force on 1 January
                          2012 and is valid for a period of eight years
                          thereafter. The state has the right to extend the
                          agreement by one year after the agreement expires.
                          · The agreement is worth a total of NOK 5,120
                          million (at 2011 prices), which gives average
                          remuneration for the state's purchase of services of
                          NOK 640 million per year. In comparison, the state
                          paid NOK 377 million in 2010.
                          · The payments are arranged so that the largest
                          payment of NOK 700 million will take place in 2012,
                          with a gradual downscaling to NOK 580 million in 2019
                          (all figures at 2011 prices). The remuneration sum
                          will, in its entirety, be price adjusted every year.

The company is pleased that it has been possible to
                          get a remuneration that reflects the cost and risk
                          with the service delivered. The new agreement gives
                          the long-term security to deliver a quality product
                          that the coast deserves and Hurtigruten need. 25,000
                          calls in port per year indicates the scale of what
                          Hurtigruten is delivering.

Since the tender was submitted in November 2010, the
                          parties have conducted their negotiations within the
                          framework of the original tender criteria. One key
                          point in the negotiations has been the contractual
                          regulation of loss of production. The agreement
                          reached is that:

· Schedule deviations due to the weather will
                          not result in a deduction from payments.
                          · Schedule deviations for technical reasons
                          will result in a deduction from payments, but not in
                          fines for default.
                          · The company is entitled to take out ships for
                          up to 22 days for festivals and similar without any
                          deduction in state payments.

These clarifications in relation to the original
                          wording in the invitation reduced the risk for
                          Hurtigruten so that it was possible to agree a lower
                          remuneration than originally demanded.

Comment

Tieto Corporation PRESS RELEASE 11 April 2011 at 12.00

One of Norway's leading tourism companies, Hurtigruten ASA, has selected Tieto as provider of services related to operation and management of customer systems. The three-year contract includes booking systems, customer relationship systems and online solutions for customers and travel agents. Tieto will establish a new operating platform that will contribute to Hurtigruten achieving its development goals.

- We have great expectations on Tieto. Tieto's experience within application management and operations will ensure a solid and forward-looking IT-platform that will help us obtain the goals we have set for the future, CIO of Hurtigruten, Frid Fastbø, states.

- Tieto's service will contribute to optimizing the relationship between high quality and availability, rationalization and further development of our services, Fastbø explains.

On demand service IT-infrastructure is delivered as a service from Tieto. The service, "Infrastructure as a service", gives Hurtigruten a service that can be adjusted according to real-time needs. This makes it highly adaptable to a varied transaction volume.

- By having infrastructure as a service Hurtigruten have access to services according to real-time needs, thus being able to cut costs associated to infrastructure and at the same time freeing resources, says CEO of Tieto Norway, Kolbjørn Haarr.

Broad experience Tieto has gained substantial experience from equivalent contracts, both in national and international markets. Telenor Key Partner is amongst Tieto's Norwegian customers that use the same type of services that Hurtigruten have chosen.

- We are proud that Hurtigruten chose us as their partner for managing some of its business-critical systems. Within a short period of time we are to deliver services of a high quality and availability. We have broad experience within the area and we are looking forward to starting the work with Hurtigruten, Haarr comments.

Infrastructure as a service will be delivered from Tieto's data centre in Finland, while operational service and management is supplied from Norway and the Czech Republic.

Comment

Personal comment:

For me these two conclusions are evident now:

1. They are not really happy with the running booking system - (and so doe we..) but there is hope!

2. The need of eleven ships for twelve months a year is continuing... and so is the life of our beloved Nordstjernen and Lofoten!!!

Comment

Now they will start building a new ship and MS Finnmarken shall come back. This is the end for the old ships, but maybe they need some time and the old ships can sail two years longer.

http://www.ht.no/article447038.ece

Comment

Working...
                                X