No announcement yet.

Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30th September 2010 was the original deadline for interested companies to deliver a tender for the coastal express route Bergen-Kirkenes and return, what all the world knows as Hurtigruten.

Now the Departement of Transportation has postponed the deadline to 29th October because a company interested to operate the coastal express has asked for more time to work through the tender papers.
    The company in question is the french Veolia.

Hmmmm...., will Hurtigruten get serious competition this time, or...?
    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 29th, 2010, 19:45.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Yes, the first news I hear on the radio this morning was that the French transport giant VEOLIA has entered a bid to take over the route.

I wonder, if they were to win such a bid, what ships would they use?
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It's amazing that it's even possible. How many years and how much effort has been put into the work over the years to make Hurtigruten a brand and almost Norways nr. 1 tourist magnet...., and then we are ready to make it possible to destroy the hole thing by giving the route to Veolia, or any other actor. (Yes, I know..., worst case scenario).

I'm pro contest, but there are some things one should never fool around with, no matter what.

This is only my first view..., I might change later

Comment

it possible to destroy the hole thing by giving the route to Veolia, or any other actor.
          Slapp off (x), Sterkoder, let's see what happens. Don't paint the Old Man on the wall...

(x) norwegian-english for "take it easy..."
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---
          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Fighting for survival the way the route is operated today:

http://www.ht.no/article396186.ece

Fully possible to use HSC's to operate the Hurtigrute service, according to this article:

http://www.vol.no/nyheter/article396481.ece

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

So now I am alarmed! Does this mean that Hurtigruten is being bought out by another company?? We're booked on a 11 day voyage, Bergen - Kirkenes - Trondheim next April...will it still be Hurtigruten at that time? I'd be most unhappy if it were some other group!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                Fighting for survival the way the route is operated today:

http://www.ht.no/article396186.ece

Fully possible to use HSC's to operate the Hurtigrute service, according to this article:

http://www.vol.no/nyheter/article396481.ece
                I'm happy that they are talking about the EX. strategic director of Hurtigruten ASA.
                That guy has nothing to do toutching the Coastal Express, and what he say in the interview means just the same as if someone had said: -"Hey, come on..., let us tear down the Chineese Wall.....!!" or -"Paris don't need the Eiffel Tower...., a miniature model would do just as well!".
                I see in the blog below the article there that he answer something like "if we readers really could've read what he said, we would all understand" .
                Yeah, right....
                Last edited by Sterkoder; October 24th, 2010, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by uppitycats View Post
                  So now I am alarmed! Does this mean that Hurtigruten is being bought out by another company?? We're booked on a 11 day voyage, Bergen - Kirkenes - Trondheim next April...will it still be Hurtigruten at that time? I'd be most unhappy if it were some other group!
                  I think you would be very safe for your voyage April next year.

The new contract will commence when HRG finishes their period, or, they might continue afterwards as well.

I think 2012 is the start of the new contract.

PS: April is the absolutely best time to do a roundtrip: from a spring filled Bergen to a still wintery Kirkenes.

Comment

My question today is a maybe OT.

But does any of you know what has happened with the website "velgogseil.no"

Velg og seil was a website to buy cheap random "last minute tickets". My last 4 distance-travels was tickets bought on the "velgogseil"-website.

But now I can`t connect to this web-site anymore. So now I am worried that I have to travel home this Christmas by train or plane. Because I am not able to byu an expencive Hurtigruten-ticket.

Is "velgogseil" closed for good ??????????

Comment

Thank you for the reassurance! I so hope that Hurtigruten keeps in charge of her vessels. We love the cruise line, and hope to make our cruises on Hurtigruten become an annual..or at least biennial..event!

Comment

Originally posted by HurtigruteMartin View Post
                        My question today is a maybe OT.

But does any of you know what has happened with the website "velgogseil.no"

Velg og seil was a website to buy cheap random "last minute tickets". My last 4 distance-travels was tickets bought on the "velgogseil"-website.

But now I can`t connect to this web-site anymore. So now I am worried that I have to travel home this Christmas by train or plane. Because I am not able to byu an expencive Hurtigruten-ticket.

Is "velgogseil" closed for good ??????????
                        I crosschecked some German foren and they confirm, that velgogsail is closed. They write that the special prices should be included now in the normal online-booking-site. There should be a button "velg", which has to be clicked, if the special price is needed. But since there were such a lot of changes, i recommend to spend a phone call....
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I am so glad that Ralf found some information about this. I couldn’t bear to think of our HurtigruteMartin having to travel by some other means than on hurtigrute this Christmas!

Do let us know, Martin, how you eventually get on battling with the web site to find that velg button. (I must admit I haven’t risen to the challenge of trying to find it myself )

But I did wonder how much before the date of travel would be considered sufficiently “last minute” for these deals to be available?

Comment

The future of Hurtigruten:
                            The imminent danger seems to be over, no other companies (than Hurtigruten ASA) has delivered a tender for the new Hurtigruten contract when the deadline came up today. On the other side; Hurtigruten demands the double amount in state subsidiary for the new contract period, running from 2013. THis can be hard to swallow for the Minister of transportation, Magnhild Meltveit Kleppa.
                            Veolia was expected to challenge Hurtigruten, but didn't. The reason why Veolia has not delivered a tender, is that the company will be unable to build a new fleet in time for the new contract periode.

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.7372373
                            Regards; Sigve.
                            ---
                            IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

The reason why Veolia has not delivered a tender, is that the company will be unable to build a new fleet in time for the new contract periode.
                              But for how many years now has it been known that the deal runs out in 2010...?
                              East-European and Asian ship yards seem to spit out ship hulls faster than we change underwear, so I don't belive that is the real reason.

For me the real reason must be that they finally came to the same conclution as many others; they (Veolia) could never have come close to offer what Hurtigruten does today, touristwise.
                              They would,ve built vessels alot smaller, compromising in numbers of passengers and space for cargo...., leading eventually to an economical crash of some sort.

Hurtigruten is making their way up from a valley, it's getting better financially, they are a stronger and stronger trademark, and so I don't see why someone would like to "rock the boat" now....., other than to comply with the tender rules of EU.
                              State Road nr. 1 in Norway IS Hurtigruten/Coastal Express. Final.

But that's me, not knowing what I'm talking about..., just meaning something

Comment

Oh, I am so glad to hear this! We are very much looking forward to our cruise in April. I tell everyone about how wonderful Hurtigruten is, every chance I get. I hope more and more people move away from the huge mega-cruise lines and find out how satisfying a small cruise ship experience can be. Here in the US several small lines have closed down. We used to have several companies cruising our rivers, but I think only one exists today, and it is priced well above what Hurtigruten charges.

Thank you for the news update!

Comment

Working...
                                X