Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

I don't want to make any wild speculations and guesses here, but according to this below article, the passengers are abandoning Hurtigruten.

The reason is naturally manifold, but my first thought is the price level. The "cruises" with Hurtigruten are quite expensive compared to cruises on a pure cruise ship, and local distance fares are also really high.

http://www.vg.no/reise/artikkel.php?artid=10100269

"Tourists fails Hurtigruten

Both revenues and profits fall for Hurtigruten. Cruise nights in the second quarter was 14.3 percent lower than the same quarter last year.

The company posted a profit before tax in the second quarter of 103 million, a decrease of 30 million from the same period last year. So far this year, Hurtigruten has a loss before tax of 30 million, an improvement of NOK 9 million.

The decline was greatest among passengers from Scandinavia and Germany, two key markets for Hurtigruten.

According to CEO Daniel Skjeldam's efficiency program that commenced in December on schedule.

- The turnaround in progress are comprehensive and essential for the Hurtigruten will be profitable. The measures taken consecutively, and the effect appears already on the cost side, says Daniel Skjeldam.

Key figures from the Hurtigruten income statement for the second quarter of 2013, with figures for the second quarter 2012 in brackets:

* Turnover: 1.033 million (1.120 million)

* Operating profit: 158 million (NOK 200 million)

* Profit before tax: NOK 103 million (NOK 132 million)....."
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Interesting.

From what I've heard, passengers numbers in the UK (incl Norway cruises) are holding steady? but revenue has dropped because they've had to cut prices.

Comment

In my opinion there is also a movement between the seasons. They make winter cruises more attractive and so passengers are moving away from the expensive summer cruises. There is also a big price gap between a individual trip in comparison to a charter-flight accompanied "group-trip" which nails you on a certain ship and date. You had more choices during the last years. Not easy to sort out "my reliable dream trip" these days...
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Mange flere tomme senger for Hurtigruten

More empty bed for Hurtigruten.

--->>>http://www.nrk.no/nordnytt/stor-pass...ang-1.11195520

Translation by Google:

Especially the Germans and citizens of the Nordic countries that fail Hurtigruten, the company said in a statement.

Compared to the same period of, had 14.3 percent fewer Hurtigruten cruise.

Today chief executive Daniel Skjeldam presents its second quarter in 2013 in Tromsø.

greater competition

The Company believes that the reason for the decline is greater competition along the coast, and that they received their products for sale late in the year last year.

In particular, increased competition from cruise ships that affects Hurtigruten. This year, among other Alesund had a 120 percent increase in cruise traffic, while growth in Tromsø is 55 percent.

Skjeldam says he looks at the increased competition as positive because it means that many will visit the Norwegian Fjords and Northern Norway.

To show that they are unique

- We must differentiate our product from the large cruise ships. what we have done on winter trips, and now we must make efforts this summer on the trips, says Skjeldam to NRK.

He believes that the guests will then be willing to pay more to get closer to nature. Skjeldam says the company will focus on explaining what makes Hurtigruten unique that product, and that among other things will have a strong focus on Norwegian food on board.

- While a cruise mostly about what happens on board Hurtigruten involves much more about what is happening in the country, and what you can experience on the basis of the boat. Such sets we are more an expedition than a cruise, says Skjeldam.

The results for Hurtigruten in the second quarter was weaker than the same period last year, but the company is still a profit before tax.

Deficits in years

However, despite the decline in the number of passengers are company plus in the second quarter.

Profit before tax profit of 103 million, which is 30 million lower than the second quarter last year, says the press release.

So far this year, Hurtigruten has a loss before tax of 30 million, an improvement of NOK 9 million, writes NTB.

turnaround

To ensure a profitable operation, Hurtigruten ASA has launched a major turnaround.

Among other things, they reduced their workforce by 30 percent among the employees on shore, made ​​changes to the management team, reorganized the global sales organization and reduced its workforce by reservation center in Tallinn by 25 percent.

- The turnaround in progress are comprehensive and essential for the Hurtigruten will be profitable. The measures taken consecutively and the effect appears already on the cost side. The second quarter is lower than the significant potential that lies there. Change processes to ensure a dynamic and cost-effective organization with commercial focus. We will increase revenue and achieve profitability in the company, says Daniel Skjeldam.

Hurtigruten also report that they earn 2.6 percent more on each cruise aboard the ships of this year compared with last year. This is among other things that the guests spend more money on excursions from the Hurtigruten ships than before.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Perhaps not the correct thread, but here are some images from different ships of the flet:

http://hurtigrutenimages.weebly.com/nordstjernen.html
            Length: 81 meters Passengers: 400 Built: 1956

Comment

An interview with the CEO (in Norwegian):
              http://www.nordlys.no/magasin/article6886122.ece

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                An interview with the CEO (in Norwegian):
                http://www.nordlys.no/magasin/article6886122.ece
                It seems he says that they want to improve online booking. Good idea - although it didn't work to poorly the last time I did a Hurtigruten online booking, it was a bit clumsy, I'd say, could be more straightforward and user-friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gestumblindi View Post

It seems he says that they want to improve online booking. Good idea - although it didn't work to poorly the last time I did a Hurtigruten online booking, it was a bit clumsy, I'd say, could be more straightforward and user-friendly.

I so much agree with you. The online-booking system is VERY clumsy. Not only for the cruise-, and tourist-segment. But also for "us" local port-to-port- passengers.

Comment

Hurtigruten's cargo areas are being reduced, according to this article:

http://www.nrk.no/nordnytt/hurtigrut...rom-1.11254964

Six ships will be rebuilt with smaller cargo areas, and this will naturally result in the ships being able to carry less cars. The reason for this conversion is governmental requirements.

The ships will carry about half the number of cars compared to pre-conversion.

Comment

The report for the third quarter 2013 has been published yesterday. There are some interesting aspects included. The first one sould be interesting for Norwegians, especially Martin:

"New initiatives are also being taken in relation to the important domestic market. It has
                      been decided to transfer the Norwegian part of the booking and reservation centre back to
                      Norway to improve customer follow-up and increase sales even further. Language, expertise
                      and local knowledge are important elements for Hurtigruten in securing the future market
                      position which should be expected. The reservation centre is being established in Kirkenes is
                      association with the existing crewing centre. At a same time, a new pricing strategy will be
                      launched to make Hurtigruten more competitive in local transport along the Norwegian
                      coast."

The second one seems to be a bit frightening:

"The new sales organisation is working in parallel on initiatives to expand Hurtigruten’s
                      marketing commitment in both the USA and Asia."

I would like to have such Amerika or Asia-cruises marked in a certain way. I would like to take another ship then. Can you understand that? The time aboard HRG is so precious that i don't need any noisy travel groups there!

Comment

Good news for our Norwegian friends.As they are the historic heart of the line , it's quite normal they could embark with special conditions.
                        In another hand, American or Asian cruisers can have better manners than Frenchies(for exemple).
                        But I agree with you Ralf:this trip is different than the others and you have to do it with a minimum of respect for what it is.

Comment

It is not so much the behaviour, it is more the fear that they will do it here like they do elsewhere: travel in huge groups like an invasion - with all consequences (imagine the buffet, for example). Individual tourists are mostly nice to have, but i can't imagine they will travel like this...

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            Hurtigruten's cargo areas are being reduced, according to this article:

http://www.nrk.no/nordnytt/hurtigrut...rom-1.11254964

Six ships will be rebuilt with smaller cargo areas, and this will naturally result in the ships being able to carry less cars. The reason for this conversion is governmental requirements.

The ships will carry about half the number of cars compared to pre-conversion.
                            Why? What "governmental requirements"? This sounds very strange to me. Don't they need the space for cars in the summer and cargo the rest of the year?
                            Regards; Sigve.
                            ---
                            IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post

Why? What "governmental requirements"? This sounds very strange to me. Don't they need the space for cars in the summer and cargo the rest of the year?
                              This sounds very strange to me too. The words " governmental requirements" dos not make any sence until they explain WHAT it is. Why only 6 ships. And what 6 ships? And why THIS 6 ships and not ALL of them. There are a lot strange things going on these days.
                              Yes. In the summer it has been very popular for tourists to bring their cars on board. But not only in summer. For about one decade they used to have some very good campaigns in 2-3 winter-months. Car for free, or to a symbolic low price. For us who lives up in northern Norway the roads are very often very slippery and very difficult driving-conditions in the winter. So the ships was filled up with locals car-drivers. And it was very often difficult to get a car-booking because the cardeck was full of cars even in the winter. But in many ways they seems to ignore us locals nowadys.

Comment

The " governmental requirements" could be a follow on from the incident on Nordlys in September 2011.
                                The aibn issued their report in May 2013

There was sea water on the car deck, presumably from the elevater shaft and the drain pipes.
                                Damage calculations were carried out and it was found that if there was flooding in cargo hold 2 and the storage room, both on deck 1 together with flooding on the car deck on deck 2, then the vessel would be close to capsize.
                                Moderate forces like wind and waves would cause a capsize.

It is only a guess but the loss of car space could be as a result of mandatory modifications to improve the damage stability of the vessels.

I suspect 5 of the ship will be Kong Harald, Nordlys, Richard With and the slightly bigger sisters Nordkapp and Nornorge - all being of basically the same design.

Anyone good for a guess for number 6?

Regards

Nordskott

Comment

Working...
                                X