Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

I should perhaps add that I think that Hurtigruten have, to a far greater extent than I would have believed possible, found solutions to balancing tourism of the best and appropriate kind and balancing this with the local service during the winter season. Now the perhaps greater challenge is to re-invent summer. The tourists are already there in numbers, but, especially on the newer ships, are they “the right kind of tourists”?

So often I have got into conversations with tourists of all nationalities and blame miss-match with travel agent intermediaries rather than Hurtigruten itself. Mind you, I have had many a conversion (and you of all people, dear CVF friends, know what a Seagull-on-a-mission is capable of!!!!).

Comment

Maybe Hurtigruten could have explained better that these are not Cruise ships, nor Ferries or Cargo ships, but a combination of all the above and therefore unique.

The price should be such that it keep the "mass tourism" crowd away, yet not making it out of reach for the many Hurtigruten enthusiasts and repeat travelers. I think that is prety much where they are today.

Free "history lesson" and orientation about why there is a Hurtigruten still in existence may help. It could be in the form of a free pamphlet given to all round trip or one way passengers, BEFORE arrival on board, or a little speech on the first night on board.

I agree that there is a limit to how long the Norwegian Government is prepared to subsidice a "Cruise Line", or a totally irrelevant Coastal Express Service, costing hundreds of millions every year. Nostalgia only goes so far.

In short, Hurtigruten have to make their service relevant, or loose the support that keep them in business today.

I cannot see how a discussion about a short trip to Hjorundfjorden for one week each autumn could end up in a serious discussion like this though.

PS> What is the big difference between sailing 4 hours in the fjord to Geiranger, only to turn around and sail 4 hours out again the same fjord, with the same scenery, or cruising Hjorundfjorden for the same time anyhow?

If it is too "touristy", so is the popular trip into Trollfjorden, is it not.

For someone sailing from say Bergen to Molde or Kr.sund I can see that it is a nuisance, since it adds to the travel time. But even Norwegians on a "business trip" may enjoy the scenery. If in a hurry, you can always jump off in Aalesund and take the bus the rest of the way. (Or fly, as most does now)
      Last edited by ombugge; September 15th, 2012, 05:47.

Comment

So well said Ombugge, indeed this is the difference between Hurtigruten and a regular cruise. Oh and indeed you receive a "free" pamphlet, a book as tour guide which explains you the basics about Hurtigruten history and purpose and the highlights underway as well. Each German passenger receives such a book with the ticket, some weeks before the travel begins.

The one week trip in Hjorundfjorden is just a test. If this establishes well, we will see, how long the period of going there will last. I remember also discussions about replacing Geiranger because of costs. For me, a fjord trip for summer passengers is quite okay and important for the success. But i think it is also important to be sensitive for the right mixture. And as long as some HRG authorities and employees are reading these forums as well, these discussions are necessary. I am sure, all our opinions are noticed. And we all are captured by the fascination of Hurtigruten and so we must not stop to explain, why - as we do also among our friends at home.
        Last edited by Ralf__; September 15th, 2012, 15:55.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I think that Hjorundfjorden should replace Geiranger as "everybody" is offering Geiranger and nobody is offering Hjorundfjorden at the moment.
          What is missing is offering the right kind of shore excursions and itinerary. To spend 3-4 hours at anchor is not a solution.
          To adjust the departure time from Bergen and calling at both Saebo, Urke and Oye may be an option. Several overland excursions from both places and re-joining in Aalesund or Molde is absolutely a possiblility. It is a question of organization and ability to think "differently" from others.
          I still maintain that Hjorundfjorden has more to offer than over exploited Geiranger and is the "best fjord in Norway".
          Last edited by ombugge; September 15th, 2012, 17:49.

Comment

Trollfjord has made the first trip into Hjorundfjorden and "docked" at Urke:
            http://www.smp.no/nyheter/indre/article508698.ece

This is close to Oye, with the famous old hotel and the tallest mountain in Sunnmore, Slogen. (Top left on the picture below)

I doubt that the could actually moor alongside the wharf at Urke. Looking at these picture it appears that the have done a Mediterranean mooring job. (i.e dropped an anchor and run ropes to shore astern) Which probably mean using boat(s) to transport the passengers to/from the wharf.

Let's see how this is commented by the many German tourists on board.

Here is a larger version of one of the picture on smp.no:
            Last edited by ombugge; September 16th, 2012, 16:09. Reason: Add pic.

Comment

She is soon out into Storfjorden.

Here is a link to some pictures from Urke:
              http://www.kvisla.no/05Urke_Foto.htm
              There isn't much there, except the nature.

The nearest attraction is the Hotel Union at Oye, which is only a few minutes away by bus.: http://www.62.no/hotell--overnatting...on-oye/1246/0/

From there the road trip through Norangsdalen is one of the most spectacular routes in Norway.
              Hellesylt is at the other end of that route.

PS> In Picture 12 from Hotel Union it looks like they caught the resident ghost.
              Last edited by ombugge; September 16th, 2012, 17:09. Reason: Add PS

Comment

Here is an article on smp.no today re: the reaction to the first trip into Hjorundfjorden on Sunday:
                http://www.smp.no/nyheter/soere/article508967.ece

If I haven't said it before I'll repeat it now: the "best" fjord in Norway!!!!

Comment

Almost half way. Has anybody seen any comments on this experiment with calling at Urke anywhere???
                  Those who were on board Nordlys today must have had a glorious experience.

Comment

I will translate a post from the German "Hurtigforum.de", also home of our members Keelson and ArcticGateway. CarinaHansen is posting her pictures also there sometimes. The post is by member "effemuc", currently aboard the Midnatsol enroute Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen. They made the trip last Wednesday.

"the trip into Hjørundfjorden was despite of dark clouds fantastic. It is as wonderful as its "big brother" Geiranger (and has no bitchy seven sisters). The beauty of the rock formations leaves me breathless. At sea level still green as summer, you can see further up the colours of autumn at trees, bushes and moss. The peaks are mostly powdered with snow. (...) We did not make the complete tour 2A, but just went to Urke with the tender boat. This is quite fine and worth the 75NOK. There you can walk in almost all directions and you will find everywhere nice views on fjord and ship. The center of the village shows just a small shop and a nursery. Time seems to stand still here. Even the sheeps seem to be astonished about the crowds of people. We stayed there for an hour, the tender boat is doing a shuttle service, so you can act very flexible. One thing attracted our attention. MS Midnatsol tried to anchor. The chain rattled for a very long time. The tender boat guy told us, that the fjord is over 200m deep there. I have my doubts that the chain is long enough. (...)"

So effemuc and companions had fun there.
                    Last edited by Ralf__; September 25th, 2012, 13:55.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you for shearing this forum-comment with us, Ralf.

Wonderful story, that made me curious about Urke and the fjord. (Unfortunately I have never been there)

I hope that comments and stuff like this will be read by HR ASA - people. And that they notice and appreciate what "effemuc" and other passengers says.

Comment

Originally posted by HurtigruteMartin View Post
                        ....Unfortunately I have never been there....
                        Too domestically complicated right now, but at many another time I’d have been jumping on a plane and onto a hurtigrute specifically to experience this “trial run”…

Comment

Two round trips cancelled in october due to ships going to ship yard: http://www.hurtigruten.no/Repository...&season=Winter

Is this planned?
                          Last edited by Skipskatta; September 27th, 2012, 10:37.

Comment

Interesting comment, "Skipskatta".

As you know, it is very common that 3 or 4 ships cancel one or two roundtrips in winter-season docking for regular maintainance.

BUT......That kind of planned regular maintainance, is mentioned in the schedule.

In my booklet-schedule, and in the schedule-plan to download on the Hurtigruten.com homepage, there are NOTHING to indicates that this cancellations in october was planned.

So what they are up to now, is hard to know.

We will hopefully find out what is going on........

Comment

Hurtigruten changes it's routes and includes a stop at Hjørundfjord, one of the world's finest fjords, as a regular stop in the future:

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/morero...cle6619373.ece
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                Hurtigruten changes it's routes and includes a stop at Hjørundfjord, one of the world's finest fjords, as a regular stop in the future:

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/morero...cle6619373.ece
                                And cinema will be a new attraction on board:

http://kortreist.adressa.no/forside/article16347.ece
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X