Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments

This sounds for me not very attractive. Spending six hours in such small villages. That means, a bus trip is nearly a must. I don't like being "forced" to do an excursion.
    The trip to Geiranger is four hours more sailing. That's why i do a Hurtigruten trip.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
      This sounds for me not very attractive. Spending six hours in such small villages. That means, a bus trip is nearly a must. I don't like being "forced" to do an excursion.
      The trip to Geiranger is four hours more sailing. That's why i do a Hurtigruten trip.
      If I understand correctly (which is not sure, because I'm reading the Google-translated version of the article ), the idea is to do this trip later in the season, after the sailing to Geiranger has stopped, is that right? If so, then I'd rather do this sailing than "nothing". And a 4 hour-stop (I believe it's 4 hours and not 6, from 11.30 to 15.30) is a great opportunity for a quiet lunch and a nap!
      MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
      Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
      My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

...you are right. I mixed up the two articles, it is four hours. That is better.

Comment

...and didn't it mention hiking opportunity in the countryside, not just a bus trip? Such a walk could be more "you" Ralf.

Comment

You should look up what Hjorndfjorden and Oye/Urke has to offer. The services has to be improved, but as for attractions and natural beauty, this is my choice of the "most beautiful fjord of Norway". I have posted in several threads about this.

Don't kick it before you have seen it, or at least bothered to Google it. Have a look on Google Earth first, then tell me this is going to be a boring trip.

PS> This is were tourism and cruising started in Norway. Kaiser Wilhelm II and British Royalty was among those who found this pearl first.
            Last edited by ombugge; September 12th, 2012, 16:54.

Comment

It was a long time ago when I discovered Norway mostly by foot (1975 and 1976).I remember a great hicking on the Hjorndfjorden.It was the kingdom of real nature,scenaries were deeply attractive and just walking on little roads and tracks I had the feeling to be in the middle of nowhere.Quality of the air, quality of silence,green trees and blue sea down the hills;I get tired but I was happy to know this area.
              If it's not only an occasion to make monay by selling excurtions it could be a nice call.

Comment

I have no doubt that these are wonderful places.
                But you know that i am thinking very traditional about a Hurtigruten trip and how like the working boat atmosphere.
                So this is one step more towards a touristic cruise, since it is prolonging the cruise schedule of the summer. You will see the results in the price schedule as soon as this is established. Actually there is still a special price offered for autumn cruises next autumn. Maybe this is a great opportunity for some, if parallel this will be established for next year. They will get this hook for free.

Comment

Those who doesn't like the trip to Oye/Urke can always stay behind in Aalesund for those hours, as some do now when the ship goes to Geiranger.
                  They can do their own things as they please, but will miss the lunch on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                    So this is one step more towards a touristic cruise
                    I understand your concern now. I share it a bit, actually. I don't want this trip to become a "regular" cruise.
                    A couple of Australian friends told me that on their second trip aboard MS Polarlys last April there was loud live music in one of the lounge during the whole trip - it even disturbed their sleep - and when they asked about it at the reception, they were told "that's what the passengers want". I met them on their first trip (Christmas voyage 2010) and they were enthusiastic then, but told me that if this April trip had been their first one, they probably wouldn't have come back (not just because of the music).
                    But then is it realistic to hope that Hurtigruten can keep the same schedule without more tourists? And is there really enough tourists to enjoy and support this "not regular" cruise? (I really hope so, but I'm worried).
                    Sorry, maybe off topic!
                    Last edited by Sarnia; September 13th, 2012, 16:07.
                    MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                    My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Thank you, Sarnia for this comment. No, not OT, this is exactly the thread for such a discussion.

It is a balancing act for the company, we all know that.

Paying "cruise tourists", prepared and willing to spend a lot of additional expenses; hardcore repeaters, which want to experience 12 days on a working ship again and again (waiting for the reinstallment of Gamvik as a tenderboat harbour); and finally the route passengers from Norway, subventioned by the state.

So in my opinion it should not become a regular cruise. They might loose some repeaters and route passengers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarnia View Post
                        A couple of Australian friends told me that on their second trip aboard MS Polarlys last April there was loud live music in one of the lounge during the whole trip - it even disturbed their sleep - and when they asked about it at the reception, they were told "that's what the passengers want".
                        We experienced this on Finnmarken earlier this year, the noise continued well into the night. Reception were great and moved us to a different cabin where we slept well. Somehow loud music doesn't go with the Hurtigruten image but I do enjoy some early to mid-evening Norwegian music like they had on our first trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                          We experienced this on Finnmarken earlier this year, the noise continued well into the night. Reception were great and moved us to a different cabin where we slept well.
                          My friends were offered a different cabin as well, so it ended OK. But this is not what a Hurtigruten trip is for me.
                          During the Christmas Voyage there was some animation as well (decorating the tree, Christmas carolling...) and it was fun, but it was only for a short period of time each day and it was proposed, not imposed.

Comment

The heart of the problem is Hurtigruten needs tourists ; it’s a fact. Freight and local passengers don’t allow the economic exploitation of the line. The competition between cruises companies is harsh and Norway with its fantastic and preserved nature is an open market. At present Hurtigruten enjoy advantage of his historic position but in our world History never win against prices.
                            So against low cost cruises what can do Hurtigruten? If it renounce one’s specificity by becoming a standard cruise line with captain’s diner, international bad taste music, and ordinary stuff it will loose it soul and by the way traditional clients (Ralf, Sarnia and me for sure).In another hand it has not the fleet to be competitive against Costa and other touristic factories.
                            Then no solution. Except if Norwegian state accept to support the line as a national patrimony as well as company communicate on the theme of selected customers. Quality has a price: it was the policy of Seychelles in the 70’s and it’s still a success.
                            I am not elitist. I could say I am the contrary of that. But since a long time I think that each travel is a choice not a whim: money, sweat, aches , you have to pay something to be equal to your desires.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                              So against low cost cruises what can do Hurtigruten? If it renounce one’s specificity by becoming a standard cruise line with captain’s diner, international bad taste music, and ordinary stuff it will loose it soul and by the way traditional clients (Ralf, Sarnia and me for sure).In another hand it has not the fleet to be competitive against Costa and other touristic factories.
                              I wonder if it might be possible to designate different atmospheres on different ships- therefore appealing to all but allowing individual choice

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                                I wonder if it might be possible to designate different atmospheres on different ships- therefore appealing to all but allowing individual choice
                                I definitely don’t think there should be, but I think there is already is, much even dating from back in the two company days, and manifest in the actually quite considerable differences between individual ships since then. Our own HurtigruteMartin, a frequent port-to-port Norwegian traveller, has documented and commented on this, writing sensitively and passionately in many threads in the Hurtigrute section.

Like him I rejoice whenever, up and wandering around a ship in the late hours and before breakfast, I see local folk kipping in the lounges overnight. And when encountering even the slightest hint of disapproval from “tourists”, I am on one great mission to convert the uninformed and poor victims of inadequate travel agents.

Comment

Working...
                                X