Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 June 2019, MSC Opera, Venice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2 June 2019, MSC Opera, Venice

    Cruise ship MSC Opera (MMSI: 357627000; Gross Tonnage: 65591) with too much way on, collides with smaller tourist vessel and the quay while coming alongside.

    Four injured.

    Fuels a debate over large cruise ships, which some have sought to ban.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48489158
    ---------------------------
    Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
    Deck plan geek.
    The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

    #2
    Originally posted by Clipper View Post
    Cruise ship MSC Opera (MMSI: 357627000; Gross Tonnage: 65591) with too much way on, collides with smaller tourist vessel and the quay while coming alongside.

    Four injured.

    Fuels a debate over large cruise ships, which some have sought to ban.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48489158
    This must have been a horrible experience for those on the bridge, I can almost imagine the stress levels on the bridge.

    As a result of this event, I think the days of sailing this way in to Venice might be numbered.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

    Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

    Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

    Comment


      #3
      When we have cruised into Venice I was surprised at the speed in such a confined area and that was on a "small" ship. I think a reasonable future will have a size limit on ships and a strictly enforced speed limit. Maybe they allow ships under 50'000 GRT to dock in Venice and anything larger must dock in Marghera.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
        When we have cruised into Venice I was surprised at the speed in such a confined area and that was on a "small" ship. I think a reasonable future will have a size limit on ships and a strictly enforced speed limit. Maybe they allow ships under 50'000 GRT to dock in Venice and anything larger must dock in Marghera.
        Even a 50.000 ton ship is quite a large ship... I would rather guess the limit would be a lot less, perhaps as little as half of that.

        There has been significant protests about cruise ships in Venice in the past years...
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

        Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

        Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

        Comment


          #5
          The Costa Deliziosa also had a near near miss in Venice recently: https://gcaptain.com/watch-large-cru...-venice-canal/

          PS> The yacht in the video is NOT the Tranquillity.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            The Costa Deliziosa also had a near near miss in Venice recently: https://gcaptain.com/watch-large-cru...-venice-canal/

            PS> The yacht in the video is NOT the Tranquillity.
            They have to stop sailing the main channel in and out of Venice and use the back-entrance, before an accident happens. This years events is a clear indication that it would be smart, right?
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

            Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

            Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

            Comment

            Working...
            X