Clear All

I've now produced some weather satellite images showing the storm:

2019-Mar-23 at 10:22 UTC
    Data is from Europe’s latest Metop-C satellite

2019-Mar-23 at 15:00UTC
    Data is from the NOAA-19 satellite

Data processing www.satsignal.eu

Comment

Thank you all for the contributions to this evolving thread... it was almost shocking to see this news break yesterday, because knowing the immense pressure upon the Captain on board to do the right thing and make the right decisions. That could not have been easy when facing something that could have gone disastrously wrong so quickly.

Seeing the waters and area they drifted through, it's nothing but a miracle they avoided ripping up the entire bottom of the ship.

It must have been a horrific experience for everyone on board, as we can see from videos shared from aboard the ship.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Clipper
        Clipper commented
        Editing a comment
        Captain, the news tells us that Hustadvika is shallow but what does that actually mean? Just how shallow is it, and are the reefs well charted?

• pakarang
        pakarang commented
        Editing a comment
        Hustadvika is known as a very dangerous part off the coast, with shallow water and underwater rocks a-plenty. You have to follow a certain "path" through these waters, and once you are sailing out of these "lanes" you will quickly find yourself in a whole lot of trouble.

Most, if not all, reefs are well charted but there are really a lot of them. There are like the dropping of a mouse spread out over an area.

BBC is now reporting that VIKING SKY is heading to Molde after "rescuers airlifted almost 500 of the 1,373 mostly elderly passengers from the ship in bad weather".

Apparantly "the vessel's engines have been restarted" though it's unclear whether or not she is fully under her own power. An earlier report said three of the four engines had been restarted.

Anyway, it sounds like good news even if they are not yet completely "out of the woods".
      ---------------------------
      Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
      Deck plan geek.
      The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

I’ve been following Viking Sky during the day on MarineTraffic and NRK ...and also on moldewebcams.net when the ship finally arrived safely in Molde this afternoon.
        Here are some 'captures' from their wonderful live camera.

Comment

• Clipper
          Clipper commented
          Editing a comment
          What a relief for everyone, not least the Captain. And as we understand it, only minor injuries.
          It was reported (at some stage) that 436 guests and 458 crew remained on board. It's not clear whether or not these numbers were correct when she eventually came along side in Molde.

Sorry to ask a totally irrelevant and nerdy question: why are these sisters always letting out this strange type of smoke? It don't look like ships smoke, more like some kind of water based steam?

Comment

• Clipper
          Clipper commented
          Editing a comment
          It does indeed look more like steam than smoke.

• pakarang
          pakarang commented
          Editing a comment
          I would almost surely believe it is waste steam, as in water vapor.

The color of this smoke is definitely not from the smoke of diesel engines.

A video from the rescue swimmer's helmet camera showing the actual winching operation:
        https://www.smp.no/nyheter/2019/03/2...o-18727579.ece

Comment

• Clipper
          Clipper commented
          Editing a comment
          Scary! I think I'd prefer to take my chances on the ship.

• Clipper
          Clipper commented
          Editing a comment
          Top work by the helo' crew though

Another casualty is the Egbert Wagenborg which hit a wharf here in Aalesund this Saturday:
        https://www.smp.no/nyheter/2019/03/2...a-18732868.ece

Comment

As we know, Viking Sky is presently moored in a city south of me, but now there are negotiations between the owning company, Coastal Administration (Kystverket), Lloyds and others, to move the ship to Kristiansund so that it can be repaired here.
          Latest info: The ship will be moored at Vestbase, so I guess it's time to charge my camera batteries
          Last edited by Sterkoder; March 26th, 2019, 20:08.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            And Hagland Captain seems to be moored in Bremsnesfjorden, Averøy.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          Another casualty is the Egbert Wagenborg which hit a wharf here in Aalesund this Saturday:
          https://www.smp.no/nyheter/2019/03/2...a-18732868.ece
          I wonder if they tried stopping their voyage with the use of anchors? The anchor seems to have picked up a lot of rubbish and old ropes from the bottom, and it appears as if that's from the location.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            As we know, Viking Sky is presently moored in a city south of me, but now there are negotiations between the owning company, Coastal Administration (Kystverket), Lloyds and others, to move the ship to Kristiansund so that it can be repaired here.
            Latest info: The ship will be moored at Vestbase, so I guess it's time to charge my camera batteries
            I was also thinking where will she go for wet-dock repairs. I initially thought it would be down in Ulsteinvik, but Kristiansund is probably an equally good place.

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess it's Kristiansund mekaniske (a repair ship yard) who will be dealing with this.
              As far as engines and propulsion goes, they are the real experts along this part of the coast.
              That yard has a major deal/contract with Fjord1 (among others) to work on the ferries when they need repair, annual inspection and such.
              I belive Viking Sky will be in good hands.

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              I would have thought maybe Vard Aukra, but not sure if they have a wharf capable of handling this size of ships. The other three Vard yards in the vicinity are busy building cruise ships. Since this work will mostly involve furniture and fittings, any place with a suitable wharf and good communication will do. The machinery repairs, whatever that may be, will be handled by the manufacturers and their sub-contractors.The hotels in Kr.sund will be busy.
              PS> Her ETA at Vestbase is 1530 hrs.

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              The VIKING SKY is operational and technical operated by Wilh. Wilhelmsen.
              The NORSEA Group, owner and operator of Vestbase, is owned by Wilh. Wilhelmsen.
              So I guess, there's the link between the cruise ship and her mooring at Vestbase.
              The repairs is internal anyway, so they don't need a dock in the true sense of the word.

Press release from Norwegian Maritime Directorate:
            https://www.sdir.no/en/news/news-from-the-nma/press-release-viking-sky/ 3

NMA has already issued a warning to all ships under their jurisdiction:
            The NMA has drawn up a general safety notice about ensuring a continuous supply of lubricating oil to engines and other critical systems in poor weather conditions. This should be done in cooperation with the engine supplier and, moreover, be included in the ship’s risk assessments in the safety management system.

Comment

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting.
              I'm a bit curious about why it wasn't possible to restore the lubricating oil pressure to any engine during such a long time. Well, the final investigation will probably tell us.

VIKING SKY sailed the outer lane from Molde to Kristiansund today, and even if she sailed with all four engines working, she had a tug connected at the bow.
            The reason for this is that both anchors are gone, one lost at sea and the other with broken wings.
            Anyway, here we see the tug NORMAND RANGER and VIKING SKY arrive in Kristiansund around 4:00 PM today.
            I had my 150-450mm lense mounted and with access to the ISPS areas, here are my pictures (even though no one got access to quay #8).
            ​​​​​​IMGP1132 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMGP1142 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMGP1146 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

IMGP1152 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Went out to try some night photography tonight, and as we got two nice motifs around, I didn't have to use much energy as to figure out what to photograph

Viking Sky at quay #8 at Vestbase
              ​​​​​​IMGP1159 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMGP1158 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

I am surprised that it is possible to loose both anchors. Was it a desperate action, to fix a ship of that size in open, stormy sea? Trying something which is almost clear that it does not work? Or were those anchors underdimensioned?
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Correction on that. The anchors held (I.A) with some help from the propulsion once they got one engine restarted. When they had enough engine power to move out the could not get one of the anchors in because the chain had crossed over the bulbous bow. As the normal things you can do to solve that was not avialiable to them under the circumstances, they cut the chain to get away safely. The other anchor was damaged but recovered. They still had the sense to note the exact location, so I would think there will be an attempt to recover the 270 m. of chain and the anchor once the present storm has blown over.

• Sterkoder
                  Sterkoder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for what must be the correct version.
                  My comment was based only on the local medias information, and you know journalists. If they don't know the answer, they produce something ;-)

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you both! Wow, only three meters left, that was really close. From all what i heard and saw in the news, it did not seem so dramatic!
                  So what was looking quite funny, was the result of a great job. I am sorry for my stupid suggestions.

Once you loose lubrication oil pressure from the tanks because of low level, it would take some time to refill them again to a level where it wouldn't happen again.

That is, after they realised what the problem was.

I have experienced the "anchor-over-the-bulbous-bow" a couple of times myself, but all those time we had time on our side, place to manoeuvre and a whole lot better. It's a hassle but with those three assets in box, it's doable. The Viking Sky didn't have any of these three items on their list - the only option was to cut and leave. Better leave the anchor than the ship.

BTW, I have sailed with her Captain a decade and half ago, on Crystal Symphony. He is a very competent and skilled person.

Great night time images, Sterkoder!

Comment

Working...
                X