X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ombugge
    started a topic Accidents caught on video

Accidents caught on video

There are video cameras everywhere and a lot of accidents are filmed an put on the net for all to see. We have had several here on CVF lately. I therefore thought it a good idea to make a new thread just for such cases.

Here is a collision which occurred near Port Said between two even sized container ships recently: http://gcaptain.com/containerships-c...Captain.com%29

I suggest looking at the AIS tracking first to get a clearer view of the relative position of the ship before the collision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMV7W0QClkA
    In the video it appears that the Maersk is being overtaken, but that does not appear to be the case on the AIS plot.

Note> Number order in the convoy is assigned and not up to individual Masters, or Canal Pilots.

• pakarang
    replied
    Interesting video indeed...

I hear VTS der them to drop anchor right as they back out.... I don't think that would be advisable, it would be better to be assigned a safe anchorage further away from the bridge.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    Unless you are a skydiver!!

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    So calm that ot looks like they are playing a video game. When your first attempt fails, try again.

• ombugge
    replied
    Here is a new video. This time a camera and mic on the bridge of the Seagrand: https://youtu.be/Fla9lLPXEvg
    Amazing how calm some of them sound.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    "Oh, that ship is coming awfully close"... keep driving. I was also surprised to see the cars continue on their way, as if nothing was heading towards the bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Totally crazy. Also astonishing, that the cars took almost no notice of this dangerous situation.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    Russian freighter hit a bridge in Busan:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwYhRgd7GY

Unbelievable when you look at where this ship must have been (yellow mark), judging from the video:
    May be explained here:
    After the allision, Korea Coast Guard personnel boarded the Seagrand and administered a blood-alcohol content test to the crew. According to the KCG, the captain had a BAC of about 0.09 percent, roughly three times the legal limit for a watchstander; however, it is not yet clear whether he had the conn at the time of the casualty, and the other crew on watch showed no signs of intoxication. Local media reported that VTS operators tried to direct the Seagrand onto a safe course, but were not able to effectively communicate with her because “the captain of the Russian ship was not able to speak English properly.”

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Russian freighter hit a bridge in Busan:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwYhRgd7GY

Unbelievable when you look at where this ship must have been (yellow mark), judging from the video:

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    I think it is a combination of both: a lot of people with cameras taking pictures and filming, as well as the massive size of the ships.

Looking into more details, it could also be a communication issue with tugboats (such as can be seen in many other videos). Could the tugs be "underpowered" to handle these massive ships.

A ship like the EPIC has an enormous sail area. I haven't seen the numbers here, but she has a massive side full of balconies the winds can catch. Even a small gust of let's say 10 m/s would have a great effect on a ship of this size.

It's hard to say what is the main reason, but I do think there are several complex reasons all together.

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    commented on 's reply
    Agree, but the increased size of ships could also affect the number collisions, making it more challenging to manovre the gigants in "must visit" harbours.

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    Mostly for your second guess.
    But with more cruise vessel the change that it happens ingrease too.
    This Epic video shall be filmed by hundreds of passingers, and just a few uploaded it on youtube
    The same that there are complete tv shows with dashcam filmed crashes. Mainly Russian video's

• Tommi
    replied
    I'm trying to understand if this types of collisions (ship/shore or ship/moored-ship) are becoming drastically more frequent, or if they are just more visible due to all smart device cameras?

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Aha... OK, that sounds really plausible, ombugge. You are probably correct there.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    Those are designed to withstand a pull, not a push, or for the ship to moor against. (Maybe even designed to collapse when hit like this to minimise damages to flimsy ship sides)
Working...
X