No announcement yet.

Deepwater Horizon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ombugge, a very comprehensive reply, just what I wanted. Many, many thanks for your time and patience.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      The Enterprise appears to be lowering another tool (or BOP stack?), but I'm unable to determine what it may be for at this time.
      Correction, whatever it is, it's being pulled to surface.

Comment

Not sure what Boa Deep C ROV 2 is looking at. Seems to be something coming up from the seabed?

EDIT: Seems to have eased off, maybe just current stirring up sediment, or maybe a nearby ROV stirring up sediment.
        Last edited by Steve.B; July 19th, 2010, 12:55.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
          Not sure what Boa Deep C ROV 2 is looking at. Seems to be some coming up from the seabed?

EDIT: Seems to have eased off, maybe just current stirring up sediment, or maybe a nearby ROV stirring up sediment.
          The same picture has been there for several hours, both on ROV 1 and 2. Nothing moving.

Well then is you "watch" again Steve. I have to go out for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            The same picture has been there for several hours, both on ROV 1 and 2. Nothing moving.

Well then is you "watch" again Steve. I have to go out for a while.
            I agree, nothing moving at all.My timing was bad, i was looking at the various feeds and spotted something on Boa Deep C No 2 cam, so switched to full screen. A brown plume seemed to be coming up, looked be coming from that light patch in the foreground of the picture. I sat and watched it for a few minutes and it seemed steady, so i thought i would mention it on here - to see what others might make of it. But, you've guessed it, the second i posted and switched back to the ROV there was nothing to see.

It's amazing just how still it is down there, the ROV's seem to have no trouble just sitting in one place for hours on end.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              Ombugge, a very comprehensive reply, just what I wanted. Many, many thanks for your time and patience.
              For those with special interest in the subject, here is a transcript of the EPA testimony re: use of dispersant to combat what is now known as "the BP oil spill" (No longer "the Deepwater Horizon oil spill"??): http://www.marinelink.com/news/dispe...ent334932.aspx

Comment

Not sure what Boa Deep C ROV 2 is looking at. Seems to be something coming up from the seabed?

Having just been on the BP website listening to the latest available tech reports, i am starting to think again about what i was seeing on the Boa Deep C's cam a couple of days ago. They report they have been monitoring several spurious releases from the seabed. At the time the report was published they were not sure what they were. But having listened to the news on TV this morning, i am guessing it's not good news.

I do not like taking what i hear on the news for granted, so i think i will wait until BP release their next tech report on the website.

Comment

Let us hope that they conclude that this is just another of the many natural leaks of Methane or some other gas through the seabed.
                  That is a fairly common occurrence in the Gulf of Mexico, as it is many other places in the world where oil and gas is found.
                  Hopefully they are using a bit more sophisticated methods then what was said in one news report? Looking for bubbles on the surface when in5000 ft. of water depth doesn't sound very scientific. That is what we do in shallow water when drilling into known shallow gas areas, but how that can apply here I don't know. (Shallow gas has been discussed in this forum earlier)

What is VERY scary is that the shares in BP dropped by 7% because Mr. Allan had mentioned a possible maybe, which would have to be confirmed. It just prove what I have thought a long time. The so called "market" doesn't know anything, it just reacts to rumors and intuitions.

Asking for a plan to be prepared, in case there should be a need to open up the wellbore to connect up the containment system sounds like a good idea. I would have thought that would have been part of the Contingency Plan in the first place.

Comment

Then it is confirmed, the seepage is natural and has nothing to do with the present shut-in of the well.

Fairly predictable so, since there hasn't been any pressure that could have burst the casing string, nor fracture the formation from many thousands of feet.

This little "exercise" cost the BP's equity value to drop by several billion USD, at least for a day or so. Now the share price will probably shoot up.

Whoever has the knowledge (and the capital) to play the market based on such rumors, or statements made without consideration to the stock markets reaction, could make Millions in a matter of a day or so. Some may very well have done so.

Maybe time to overhaul the Capitalistic system???

PS> I posted a link to a comedy show from Britain some time ago, which hit the nail right on the head when it came to how the so called market analysts and banker react to rumors and crisis. If I can find it I'll re-post.

EDIT: I found it. here is the link: http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/187.html It is just as valid today as it was three years ago. (Before the so called Financial Crisis)
                    Last edited by ombugge; July 20th, 2010, 17:39. Reason: Add info

Comment

Yep, an apt choice of video!

Anyway, I see Tony Hayward has been made the scapegoat, ousted from his job and being moved to the Russian section of BP. I guess it was bound to happen, just too many people have been baying for his blood. I guess the truth of the matter is that Tony Hayward was so far up the chain of command in BP that he almost certainly had no influence on what happened aboard the Deep Water Horizon in the first place.

But when it comes to the disaster itself, i think everyone should realise that it was in a way, lucky that this incident involved one of the biggest names in the oil industry. Only the very big boys in the industry would have been able to afford the cost of the response we have seen. A smaller company would have folded long ago, leaving the entire cost of the current operation to the government.

And let's not forget that it was not BP personnel that were drilling that well. BP may have been putting pressure on in order to get the drilling done as soon as possible, but the company doing the actual drilling job should always insure they do not compromise safety. Quite why Transocean have not been ripped apart like BP have, i am not sure, because in my eyes they would be the guys i would be looking at for answers.

Well, i did not actually start this post with the intention of moaning so much, all i wanted to do was share a link to one of BP's videos, that shows the procedures they are going to use to kill the well.

http://bp.concerts.com/gom/kentwells...te_072110a.htm

Not so amusing as ombugge's link, but interesting!

Comment

Yep, an apt choice of video!

Anyway, I see Tony Hayward has been made the scapegoat, ousted from his job and being moved to the Russian section of BP. I guess it was bound to happen, just too many people have been baying for his blood. I guess the truth of the matter is that Tony Hayward was so far up the chain of command in BP that he almost certainly had no influence on what happened aboard the Deep Water Horizon in the first place.
                        Transocean is seen as an American Company while BP is seen as a FOREIGN company.

The CEOs of large American corporations are probably fully informed of EVERY decision made by their underlings and fully capable of stopping any bad decision from being implemented. That appears to be the perception anyway.
                        Anybody think that the CEO of say General Motors know all that is going on within his company, world wide?

The fact is that both Mr. Tony Hayward of BP and Mr. Steve Newman, the CEO of Transocean, which is two CEOs in question here, has a background from actual being out there drilling wells and have gone through the management grades in the Oil and Gas Industry.

They MAY have been able to understand the dangers and been able to stop the bad practise that appears to have prevailed in this case, if they had been in a position of direct control.

Most CEOs, however, have a MBA degree and a background in Finance or Accounting. They wouldn't be able to understand the intricacies of well construction and drilling, even if it was explained to them.
                        Last edited by ombugge; July 28th, 2010, 08:32.

Comment

The sinking of Deepwater Horizon

The below is copied from earlier discussion in the "Rigs, Platforms and Oil Fields" thread

Nichu Quote:
                          I doubt that the explosion and initial fire would have done any serious damage to the main structure.
                          But will add another potential point to why she capsized.

Shifting of weights.
                          Most drilling rigs I have been on have been working close to their stability limits.

In many cases cargo and equipment had to be stored on a supply vessel, not because of lack of space,
                          but to avoid the rig being top heavy.

In this case, the explosion and fire could have made deck cargo and damaged structures move and start the rig to list.

Ombugge Quote:
                          Early pictures of the rig on fire doesn't indicate any list.

Nichu Quote:
                          If there were many slack tanks in the pontoons, this would worsen the situation.
                          As they were circulating the well with seawater, the mudpits were likely full and could have started to overflow,
                          shifting a lot of weight to the "wrong" side.

ombugge Quote:
                          Yes, slack tanks could have aggravated the stability problem, once a list had developed, as would overflow from the mud pits (I don't know if this rig had enclosed pits though, being 5th Generation and fairly new. (<10 years old)
                          Most likely the list was initially caused by water from the Fire Fighting efforts having entered below deck compartments on one side.

Nichu Quote:
                          In the Norwegian branch of Transocean, watertight doors was often on the agenda of the weekly safetymeetings for the crew.
                          Especially when doing highalert operations like welltesting.

ombugge Quote:
                          Sadly, doors and hatches are not always kept closed when doing "normal" operations, such as completion and cementing, like here. The drilling operation was completed and they were in "plug and abandon" mode, which is normally regarded as "safe".
                          In the Maasmond Newsletter for 31. July there was a long article about a hearing re: the sinking of Deepwater Horizon:

Investigators are looking into whether the firefighting response to the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion contributed
                          to its sinking, the Coast Guard says. Word of that line of inquiry came in a report issued Wednesday by the Center for
                          Public Integrity. Coast Guard spokesman Capt. Ron LaBrec told the watchdog group that "the joint investigation is
                          absolutely looking into that, and whether it contributed to the sinking."
                          This is just the first few lines of the article, but obviously the same thoughts have been brought to beare as what was voiced in CVF much earlier.

Read CVF for early and reliable reporting!!!

Comment

Gulf oil spill video timeline.

I found this video/diagram showing the accident from day one to today showing efforts to stop the leak underwater. And where the oil reached the surface, coast and currents. It was claimed to be made by the local New Orleans, Louisiana newspaper website (www.NOLA.com). It is pretty good and tells each day what was happening to the site, the spread of the oil and where it affected the coast. It is split-screen, the top portion showing a map of the gulf and the surface spread, and the bottom portion showing what efforts were being done on that particular day. Please take a look.

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-sp...ster/index.ssf
                            Bill H.

Comment

Local &quot;OPINION&quot; (only)

I work in New Orleans, and live north of the city. I worked offshore for 2 years in the 1980's, and thought you would like to hear from a local person about this spill. New Orleans and the Gulf Coast was DEVASTATED by hurricane Katrina in 2005. We still have not recovered fully. Then we, like the rest of the country, and other parts of the world, we were hit by the economic downfall. Our economy relies on tourism, shipping, and oil and gas.
                              Tourism, and oil and gas have been basically suspended. The entire gulf is run by Republican Governors, blaming everyone except their own party that loosened the Laws that govern drilling (Our former President and Vice-President, both Oil Barons). And want to blame The current President, and the horrible, rich, European oil company for doing this to us maliciously.
                              The truth is:
                              1.) How ever it happened. It was truely an accident, and BP has stepped up and has taken responsibility for the clean-up, and a lot more.

2.) The B.O.P. did not have an remote accoustic shut-off because the U.S. doesn't require them. Afterall it cost $500,000.00, and is only used as a measure of last resort "besides the shut-off on the B.O.P. almost always works". Norway and Brazil, as well as other oil producing nations do require them, Norway since 1993. I know that if B.P. thought it would be needed, they would rather spend Thousands to have one, than Billions not to have one.

3.) US President Obama put a 6 month moretoreum only on deep sea drilling. We still have deep sea production platforms producing. Norway removed 4 bocks from auction until the results of the spill are known. We still don't know what happened. These leaders did the prudent thing.

4.) That horrible BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg called us "Little People" (even though we know what he meant) "HE TALKS FUNNY!!!!" The truth is, is that He's educated enough to speak more than one language. Very well I might add, and because he speaks with an accent some people are looking for someone to make a villain. The same with Tony Hayward. Both were very elequent, remorseful, seemingly wanting to do the right thing. So they replaced him with a man with a southern accent to pacify those people.

The real truth is that your dealing with a region that has had very bad luck for a very long time. Most are not well educated, and care nothing for the world except their part of it. Everyone INCLUDING US, has a part of the blame to share. And acts of God, and accidents of man, bring out the worst in people. We are good people. We just got hit really hard and it's going to hurt for a very long time.

**THIS IS NOT MEANT AS POLITICAL RANT, ONLY AN EXPLAINATION OF THE REGION**
                              Bill H.

Comment

OK, the well is "kill"!!! Congratulation BP!!! A job well done, although not everybody see it that way.
                                I.e it is in hydraulic balance, where the hydrostatic pressure from the mud in the wellbore is equal to the formation pressure, thus there is no flow. This is a "normal" way of killing a well, once the BOP is closed.

What is not so normal is that they cannot go in with drill pipe to sett a Cement plug. To do this "from the top" means that they will have to pump the cement down through the Choke and/or Kill line, into the wellbore.
                                Since they don't have circulation, to get the cement to the bottom of the well, they have to keep on pumping to overcome the formation pressure, thus driving the oil, gas and the heavy mud already in the wellbore into the formation.

Mud and Cement isn't pumped as a mixture, as appears to be what BBC is believing. The cement is pumped down as a "pill", with mud below and above.
                                Once the cement "pill" reach the required depth below seabed, they will have to balance the well pressure again and let the cement set.

It then become a cement "plug", effectively sealing the well and enable the hydrostatic pressure above the plug to be reduced to test the plug. If the well starts to flow again, they need to increase the pressure again to "kill" the well and probably wait for the relief well to be completed to be able to pump cement in from the bottom and close also the annulus between the casings in the string.

As long at the hydraulics is in balance, there should be no problem to maintain control of the well and avoid any more oil flowing into the Gulf.
                                If a Hurricane should approach, the can just close all valves at the BOP/Cap to maintain control. Even if there should be a small internal leak in the wellbore and the formation pressure overcome the hydrostatic weight of the mud, this will be contained by the BOP/Cap and not cause any oil leaks to the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

A bit of grievances:
                                I still don't understand why BP is the ONLY company that take responsibility for the mishap and the cleanup?

Why doesn't the politicians and the press go after Transocean? After all, they owned the rig with the faulty BOP and their Rig Manager/Drilling Superintendent has the authority to stop unsafe operation, no matter what the client rep (Companyman) say or do.

When the hysteria dies down I hope the aftermath get a little more nuanced and fair. You cannot fine BP in the billions and let their Drilling Contractor (Transocean) hide behind the USD 75 Mill. liability limitation.

That BP is seen as a "Foreign" company, while Transocean is seen as "Local" is also not fair. The US operation of both companies are not run by the CEO and Chairman of the Board sitting in London, or in Zug, Switzerland, in the case of Transocean. (At least officially)

The origin of the parent company for BP America Inc. is indeed London, while the operational HQ is in Houston, Texas, and they pay their taxes and dues to that State and the Federal coffers.

As for Transocean, their actual world wide and operational HQ is also in Houston, Texas, while their "official" HQ is in Zug ONLY for taxation reasons. Or rather to AVOID paying US taxes, State or Federal as much as possible.
                                All their Deepwater rigs working in th GOM are registered outside US, built outside US and with mostly foreign equipment.

Nice to see bigboatbill on this thread to give us some input from the Deep South.
                                Unfortunately there have been a lot of hysteria and ill informed statements from the politicians, and from most of the press in the area.
                                I just wonder how many wildassed claims and legal actions will follow from this?

Comment

Working...
                                X