Deepwater Horizon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    ...How can the CEO have detailed knowledge and control of every operation conducted by his company...
    I do not remember Congress calling the head of NASA to appear after a Shuttle disaster and expect him to know every engineering detail, every process and know all manufacturing quality within NASA.

One Congressman apologized to Tony Hayward for the inappropriate treatment and he was immediately attacked from all sides. They are a pack of wild dogs turning on themselves. Seeing actions like this makes it easier to understand how the Nazi's could come to power or how massacres can happen in eastern Europe or Africa. They are working themselves into a frenzy and not thinking. They see so much red that hunting down and beating someone (Mr. Hayward) has become the number one goal. Rational thought and common decency have gone out the window and they now have "mob mentality". They are becoming their own monster, possibly worse than the disaster that started it all.

I sleep less well after seeing how our leaders are acting. We have the largest military in the world and our leaders have quickly sunk to a pack of wolves frothing at the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
      I do not remember Congress calling the head of NASA to appear after a Shuttle disaster and expect him to know every engineering detail, every process and know all manufacturing quality within NASA.

One Congressman apologized to Tony Hayward for the inappropriate treatment and he was immediately attacked from all sides. They are a pack of wild dogs turning on themselves. Seeing actions like this makes it easier to understand how the Nazi's could come to power or how massacres can happen in eastern Europe or Africa. They are working themselves into a frenzy and not thinking. They see so much red that hunting down and beating someone (Mr. Hayward) has become the number one goal. Rational thought and common decency have gone out the window and they now have "mob mentality". They are becoming their own monster, possibly worse than the disaster that started it all.

I sleep less well after seeing how our leaders are acting. We have the largest military in the world and our leaders have quickly sunk to a pack of wolves frothing at the mouth.
      Sorry to state the obvious, but the head of NASA was/is American and Mr Hayward spoke with an English accent.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
        Seeing the BOP photos makes me wonder about steel in salt water. How long do they last? I assume corrosion is slow at great depths but rust must eventually start. Do they repair rust and corrosion underwater? I assume that many parts can be unbolted and replaced but the main structure may be underwater working for many years.
        The BOP Stack belongs to the Rig and is pulled up once the drilling is completed and the well is secured, which is what they were in the process of doing here, as they thought they had accomplished securing the well by setting a cement plug.
        If it fails to pass test during the drilling operation, it can be pulled for inspection and repairs at any time, provided the well is "killed" with heavy mud.

What you are probably referring to is the Wellhead and Christmas Tree, which is placed on a producing well and remains on bottom for many years.
        Fortunately the corrosion is very slow in the depth of water we are talking about here. (No photosynthesis)
        Protective anodes are placed on the Christmas tree to reduce cathodic activity from different metals etc. Even Christmas trees may be replaced, if required, although it normally isn't because of corrosion.

The emphasize on "5000 ft. water depth" is a bit exaggerated in the media and by the parties involved here. This isn't a record breaking depth for drilling, or production. In fact the rig shown in the picture above is equipped to drill in 12,000 ft. The ROVs used are also designed for up to 10,000 ft. water depth.
        The complexity of manipulating things with ROVs are the same in any water depth. Once you get passed the capacity of Divers to work, there is no choice.
        Last edited by ombugge; June 19th, 2010, 17:19.

Comment

Of professional interest only:

I saw that you mentioned a Halliburtion cementer's objections to the procedure of setting the bottom plug.

Can you direct me to a webpage where this is mentioned?
          (have searched the net with no results)

Obviously this person must have been under a considerable pressure, circumstations considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
            Of professional interest only:

I saw that you mentioned a Halliburtion cementer's objections to the procedure of setting the bottom plug.

Can you direct me to a webpage where this is mentioned?
            (have searched the net with no results)

Obviously this person must have been under a considerable pressure, circumstations considered.
            I can't recall from where I got this, but it has been mentioned a few times in the news as a defence for Halliburton.

Comment

This is getting really ridiculous. On the news I heard that a senior White House representative had criticise Mr. Hayward for taking a weekend off, the first in two months. This was said to be "another PR gaff" by Mr. Hayward.
              Has all the White House staff and the Congressmen been "on the job" for two months as well??? What have they accomplished in as much as stopping the flow of oil, or to clean up the spill??

As far as I have understood he has given responsibility for following up the present operation to the GM of BP in America, who happens to be an American. Maybe that is what he should have done from the start so he didn't have to face downright uncivilised behavior from members of Congress who have problem understanding proper English.

I will say that whatever goodwill in the world that America has got back since Bush left they are in the process of squandering with this kind of behaviour. Most Europeans at least, and I suspect a number of Americans, are getting disgusted with the way this is being used to score cheap political point among the ill informed masses. Maybe that is as big a PR gaff as anything Mr. Hayward has done and said.

Comment

I have just been reading a page that talks about the above issue with Halliburton and BP. I must say i have no idea how accurate the info is.

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m67115&hd=&size=1&l=e

They mention the possibility of gas and oil forcing it's way up the drill hole on the outside of the well casing, they mention that this could lead to the rock being eroded away, and in return the well becoming unstoppable. Is this something that's ever happened before in the industry? Or is this just wild speculation?
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  This is getting really ridiculous. On the news I heard that a senior White House representative had criticise Mr. Hayward for taking a weekend off, the first in two months. This was said to be "another PR gaff" by Mr. Hayward.
                  I read that earlier myself, like you i could not believe it. The guy as probably not had a day to himself for weeks, and given all the undue pressure and slagging off he's received the last few weeks, i am sure the poor guy needs a couple of days rest. At the moment he's got the weight of the worlds most powerful country pressing down on his shoulders, i certainly could not imagine what that must be like. I for one think he well deserves a weekend off relaxing with his son. Though to be honest, i doubt very much he will be able to enjoy it, that man must have his head full of so much at the moment.
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I think we Americans have a love of the witch hunt. It's in our blood. The Salem witch trials, persecution of Charles McVay III for the Indianapolis sinking during WWII and now Tony Hayward. It is easier to crucify one man than to fix the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post

And whats this about BP having to pay the wages of other rig workers that have been laid off because the US government have decided to suspend other deep water drilling in the Gulf? What the hell! If the government want to suspend other drilling that's fine, but on their own shoulders be it.
                      Now did i just hear on the news that a US Federal Judge as overturned the ban on drilling calling it illegal? Commonsense at last!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                        Now did i just hear on the news that a US Federal Judge as overturned the ban on drilling calling it illegal? Commonsense at last!
                        You did - a slap in the face for Obama.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

The whole farce has been handled very amateurish by the Obama administration, in my opinion.
                          How much is from trying to save their "perception" and avoid bed "image" by people with even less understanding of the subject at hand, and how much is from pure ignorance on their part is hard to determine with the limited knowledge obtainable through the just as ignorant media.

Am I becoming a cynic in my old age? Well maybe so, but I prefer to think of myself more as a realist.

Comment

This afternoon i was watching one of the ROV live feeds. To my astonishment i found myself looking at the containment cap without the oil and gas gushing out. I guessed at the time something must be going on, and seeing that 5 minutes before i looked at the ROV feed i had been listening to one of the latest technical reports from BP engineers, i knew that there was no way they had killed that well already. So i knew they must have had somesort of problem. Just read that an ROV had collided with a valve on the equipment, and because of that they have had to remove the cap to carry out some tests. Thus explaining why i had been looking at a containment cap without oil or gas earlier.

Such a shame that this happened, lets hope all is ok with the cap and that it can be put back in place asap. Listening to the latest engineering press conference, it is sounding like the engineers will likely to be in a position to contain all of the oil and gas flowing from the well by the end of this month. Putting it simply they are planning to use existing insertion points on the BOP in order to do this, once all the plumbing is in place they feel they will be able to remove the current containment cap and blank of the main riser. Thus all oil and gas will be directed to the surface vessels. The only leakage then will be if they have to remove the surface vessels due to weather. And even that should be at a much reduced rate because new manifolds installed inline with the new pipework on the seabed, can be shutdown a certain amount, thus reducing the flow. But it sounds like they are not wanting to use this method to attempt to completely stop the flow from the well, i should imagine they are concerned about putting undue pressure on a well and equipment that is already damaged. Having this amount of control of the flow will also help them when it comes to killing the well from below.

Rather than screaming and shouting at these guys, i think they should be praised for the work they are doing. In many ways working down there is harder than working in space, at least in space you can suit up and send a person armed with a spanner to go and do some work first hand.

Back to today's accident, and excuse my sarcasm, but i wonder if the President will send his lynch mob after the ROV operator?

EDIT: Just checked the ROV cams again, the second ROV from the Enterprise is looking at the cap, obviously still free from the BOP.
                            Enterprise ROV2

And the second ROV from Skandi is monitoring the discharge from the BOP, along with the detergent insertion tool.
                            Skandi ROV2
                            Last edited by Steve.B; June 23rd, 2010, 22:08.

Comment

23.40 British Summer time, i am watching the operation to refit the containment cap via Enterprises No2 cam. They have made a few attempts in the last half hour, but each time they have pulled back for various reasons, one try they had a small pipe caught up under the cap, so the ROV moved in to move it aside.

Is the containment cap being suspended from the surface ship via the connecting pipeline?? If so it must be so hard positioning the cap like they are, inch by inch. Hard to imagine that the cap is on the end of a mile of pipe! But moving it inch by inch they are. If it is suspended from the surface ship, they must have very good compensator's on the lifting gear, the cap is not moving up or down at all, either that or surface conditions are flat calm.

Fascinating being able to watch all of this live footage from a mile beneath the Gulf.

Comment

10 hours after they had to remove it, it looks like it's back in place again. They landed it about 5 minutes ago, hopefully all is ok and they can carry on retrieving from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X