MS Sea Diamond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Sea Diamond

It is just a little more than 3 years since the loss of the MS Sea Diamond at the island of Santorini in Greece. The ship ran aground on a reef which apparently was not properly marked on the charts of ALL ships coming to this beautiful island. When the ship sank she took 2 French passengers with her. Later in 2007 a scuba diver died as a result of coming up from the wreck too fast. The ship sank on April 6, 2007. This was the following day after she ran aground. There is quite a bit of info on this tragedy on our old CV Forum.
    Now is there anyone out there who has any further information as to what has taken place in the past 3 years. Please post.

I remember this accident, i believe that they did not realise there were two people missing until it was too late. Very sad.

I have not heard anything further about the incident, but i think incidents like this show that maybe all pax carrying ships built in the future should perhaps have a double skinned hull. Yes it will cost more to build them with a double hull, but that cost will be nothing compared to the cost of losing a ship in circumstances such as these. Either that or watertight compartments need to do exactly what they say on the tin, and actually be watertight. More thought needs to be given to ship design in that respect. It reminds me of the loss of the M/S Explorer that sank in the Antarctic, i believe she sank because the sewage system allowed flood water to breach the watertight compartments.

Does anyone have a link to the full report of the sinking of the Sea Diamond? It would be interesting to find out exactly why this ship sank, why didn't the watertight compartments do their job and prevent the ship from sinking? I would be very interested to read the full report.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I have had a little look around and came up with this. Hope it helps.

http://www.itic-insure.com/itic-publ...amond-sinking/

Comment

Thank you Bill for the link, so the impact with the rocks breached 4 or maybe 5 watertight compartments. No details of which compartments were involved, but they must have been large.

I am still surprised that it is now law to protect cargo's of crude oil by way of double skinned hulls. But when the main cargo carried is mere people - IE cruise ships etc, that same protection is not required. I guess it's because you can put humans into lifeboats in a relatively short amount of time.

I can also see that a double skinned hull must make regular hull inspections and repairs a much harder job. (Just thinking about it brings back horrible memories of crawling - no, not crawling, not enough space for that, wriggling around in some bottom tanks on an old coaster. Not a nice place to be welding and grinding).
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Interested In Updated Information On The Wreck Of The Sea Diamond At Santorini

Some will recall the Sea Diamond being wrecked on an uncharted reef at the isaland of Santorini a couple of years back. This incident resulted in the deaths of 2 French tourists. The ship sank the following morning. Since then 1 diver has died while exploring the wreck. Rumors which circulated soon after the wreck included raising the ship and another was to attempt to remove the considerable amount of fuel oil on board. Anyone have any answers to these and any other probable questions?? If need be or if your just interested check out the old Captains Voyage under the Maritime Accidents and Disasters heading. Thankyou.

Comment

Strangely, I have not been able to find any information on "what now" with the wreck.

Are they still actively trying to do anything with the ship?
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I have nothing new to report about any plans for salvaging. I must admit i am rather surprised she was left where she sank. I would also be interested to learn of any sort of salvage plan.

We had a bit more info regarding the sinking in another thread in this section.
              http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...MS-Sea-Diamond

Comment

Steve.B You mentioned that you would be interested in details on the sinking of the MS Sea Diamond. Go to Google, type in Sinking of MS Sea Diamond. There is quite a bit of information there. Beware, some of it gets duplicated. Hope this helps and thanks for your input.

Comment

Thank you G.S. I have tried searching google, but so far have not managed to find any report from an official investigation into the sinking. I have read bits and pieces from various newspapers that say the accident was caused by out of date charts, but i was hoping to find a detailed report of why she sank. The sort of report that bodies like the MAIB would produce. I am sure one must exist somewhere, and these reports are normally available to the public.

I would find it interesting to understand the mechanics of how she came to sink - how the flooding spread, and why containment measures did not prevent her going down.

Comment

So, they have now decided to raise the Sea Diamond from the bottom...

Knowing there are still two missing people from that sinking, it's with mixed sentiments...

But, there is always a but, imagine the sight of the ship coming up from the bottom... that will be a pretty spectacular sight, surely overgrown and broken.

Environmentally, and in order to remove a navigational hazard for other ships, I do understand the decision.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                    X