X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Random maritime accidents.

a little disaster

last friday the ''aztec maiden'' beached herself through engine problems and a crapping anchor.
    just the north of ijmuiden

and a snapping towingline

but she is moored now in ijmuiden aswel the tug ''Rotterdam'' which was speeding up to her,but job was already done
    Last edited by janihudi; January 22nd, 2012, 13:09.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Everyone likes a day on the beach! Ships especially like them when it's really windy. This ship was obviously only out on a day trip, and like some children you may end up having to pull them away from it at the end of the day.

Glad to see they got off ok and did not leave any litter behind them!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

On Shipwreck Log there is a series of pictures from the off-loading of containers from the Rena before she broke in two:

Link: http://www.shipwrecklog.com/log/rena-2/

Comment

Interesting to see them lifting six at once. I assumed they would lift one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
            Interesting to see them lifting six at once. I assumed they would lift one at a time.
            SinceNZ is a net importer of goods normally shipped in Containers, these are likely empties being re-positioned.

Comment

From Shipwreck Log today:
              The Costa Concordia grounding is not an isolated event for the cruise ship industry. Here are just small list of major accidents reported in the news since 2007:
              September 15, 2011 – The MS Nordlys had an explosion in the engine room the caused a large fire killing two crew and evacuation of the vessel at Hurtigruten, Norway.
              April 15, 2011 – The MV Ocean Star Pacific had an engine room fire forcing 748 passengers and crew to be evacuated off the ship to Huatulco, Mexico.
              January 31, 2011 – The Polar Star ran aground off Antarctica damaging the vessel’s outer hull with passengers evacuated to another vessel.
              December 7, 2010 – The Clelia II was struck by a large wave off the remote South Shetland Islands suffering engine damage.
              December 3, 2010 – The RMS Queen Mary 2 suffered an explosion causing a short term power outage.
              November 8, 2010 – The MV Carnival Splendor had an engine room fire resulting in a complete power loss. The vessel towed back to San Diego with the US Navy providing food for passengers.
              October 18, 2010 – The Costa Classica collided with a cargo vessel in the Yangtze River inflicting a 20 meter long gash between passenger decks.
              Feb 26, 2010 – The Costa Europa allided into a quay at Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt tearing a two meter hole drowning three crew and injuring four passengers.
              June 18, 2009 – The MV Royal Princess had a fire in the engine room off Port Said, Egypt causing extensive damage.
              February 26, 2009 – The Costa Romantica had a fire in the generator room causing a power outage. Passengers were evacuated after crew was unable to repair the generators.
              June 21, 2008 – The MV Princess of the Stars capsized and sank off San Fernando, Philippines when struck by a typhoon. The vessel with 860 passengers and crew on board had only 32 survivors.
              November 23, 2007 – The cruise ship Explorer struck a submerged object off Antarctica and sank. No lives were lost, but over 150 individuals were forced into open lifeboats.
              April 5, 2007 - The MV Sea Diamond struck a reef of the Greek island of Santorini with 1195 passengers on board. Vessel filled with water and later sank. Two passengers lost.

For more reading on the cruise ship incidents, we recommend visiting www.cruisejunkie.com
              Timely reminder???

Comment

I have always questioned whether it really makes sense (common sense, not financial sense) to put in excess of 4000/5000+ people onto one vessel. The Costa Concordia incident could be a timely reminder of this.

I fear the day will come when one of these super sized cruise liners suffers damage similar in scale to what we saw with the Concordia, but in deep waters far from shore. Similar damage could easily be sustained if one of these ships were to be involved in a collision with a large container ship, bulker or vlcc. I am sure a collision with one of these at the correct angle would cause fatal damage to the cruise ship.

The Concordia incident occurred in calm water close to shore, and yet still many lives were lost. I hate to think of the consequences if a similar situation were to occur many miles off shore in rough seas.

5000+ people in one ship a good idea? I don't think so, not until the day comes when someone builds a bomb proof, collision proof, and idiot proof ship. Modern ships are fine until the unthinkable happens.

EDIT: A negative view i know, but i have the same reservations about some of today's super sized aircraft, the largest of which can in theory, with the right seat configuration carry in excess of 800 people. Makes perfect environmental and financial sense, but if one of these were to ever come down, would it make sense in the cost of human lives?
                Last edited by Steve.B; January 27th, 2012, 03:45.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Very well said Steve.
                  It is not inconceivable that a large Cruise ship could be in collision with another vessel and be holed in more than two watertight compartments, causing her to list heavily, before eventually capsizing and sink in deep water.

The following is the result of a collision between a small Bulker and Container ship some years ago. In this case the bulbous bow of the Container ship cut a long cash in the side of the Bulker, opening up two of her cargo holds. This happened in a place where the Bulker could be beached before she could capsize or sink.
                  Here seen in drydock:

This collision was at reduced speed, but the damages speaks for themselves.

You may remember the discussion we had on the "Oasis of the Seas" thread last year, about the number of lifeboats and life rafts on Passenger ships, which is only sufficient for the total number of persons on board if ALL lifeboats and rafts are able to be launched successfully and in a very orderly fashion.

The min. requirement for Lifeboats on Passenger ships is only 37.5% on either side, (75% total) which normally caters to pax only.
                  Crew members are assigned to inflatable life rafts with no means of propulsion to get away from the wreck by own means.

As was proven in the Costa Concordia case, Cruise ships doesn't sink nicely on even keel and evacuation of such a large number of untrained and panicky passengers are not always orderly, despite the best effort of the crew.

Any other type of ships has to have 100% lifeboat capacity on EACH side. (unless free fall lifeboats launching over stern) In addition there have to be life rafts for the entire complement on either side, just in case the life boats are inaccessible for whatever reason.

Fruit for thought???
                  Last edited by ombugge; January 27th, 2012, 13:53.

Comment

That is the sort of incident i was thinking about, and you say that was at reduced speed, i hate to think what damage would have been done at normal running speed.

I do remember the conversation about lifeboats, you also mentioned about that in the Costa Concordia thread, i expressed my disbelief at that time. Passenger or crew, both should be entitled to a place in a lifeboat. I also remember from some past conversation - possibly the one regarding the 'Oasis of the seas', my thoughts regarding just how you would rescue 5000+ people that were rolling around the middle of the ocean in lifeboats and liferafts? Just how many people can you cram aboard a couple of passing merchant ships? Lots of people could be stuck in their lifeboats for a very long time whilst they waited for more rescue ships to arrive.

I am hoping that the Concordia incident is a very big wake up call to the companies that design these mega cruise ships, and the companies that order them. May this incident, if nothing else, dissuade them from building even bigger vessels in the future. Because they way things have gone over the last few years- the trend of 'build them bigger', will have eventually led to ships capable of carrying 10.000+ people. A disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

This makes me recall some of my very first posts when I joined CV years ago. I had a lot of questions about lifeboats and the stability of the modern "tall box" cruise ships. It really came to light a couple times on our last cruise when we were docked next to larger ships. Our cabin was on the top passenger deck and I looked straight across at the life boats of other ships with their cabin 4 & 5 decks above.

Comment

I cannot recall details and I did not do the accident investigation, only reported on repair progress for the Insureres, but as far as can recall the collision between the Bulker and the Container feeder happened as one was leaving and one was arriving in port, with Pilot on board. Hence none would have been on full sea speed.
                        (From memory, the speed was 10 - 12 kts. for both ships, but reduced somewhat at time of impact. The container ship hit the bulker at approx. 30 degr. initial angle)

As can be seen from the pictures, the container ship hit first above water line, but thereafter the bulbous bow cut the bulker open below water line like a tin of sardines.

Now imagine a similar collision between a Cruise ship and a Container ship at normal seas speed of anywhere from 15-20 kts. each.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

As can be seen from the pictures, the container ship hit first above water line, but thereafter the bulbous bow cut the bulker open below water line like a tin of sardines.

Now imagine a similar collision between a Cruise ship and a Container ship at normal seas speed of anywhere from 15-20 kts. each.
                          I think such a collision at the correct angle - something like the angle mentioned above, 30degr, would make much more of a mess of a cruise ship than what we can see with the Concordia. It really does not bear thinking about. Bulbous bows are the perfect tool to rip things apart.

Thinking about it, is there a reason that a bulbous bow needs to be so strong? Could they not be designed to crumple easily when they strike something?

Comment

Then also think about the fact that the bow would likely have impacted the Cruise ship where the lifeboats are normally placed, destroying a number of them.
                            With nothing to spare that would leave somebody short, causing a scramble for the available lifeboats and rafts.

Scearmongery??? Maybe, but not an unthinkable scenario, especially in congested waters like the English Channel, or approaches to any major port of the world.

PS> What if it was two large Cruise ships in collision? Here is Costa Classica and MSC Poesia in a near miss of Dubrovnik:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAFP...layer_embedded

See what I mean by the bow being level with the lifeboats on the other ship?
                            Last edited by ombugge; January 30th, 2012, 06:15. Reason: Add PS

Comment

From Shipwreck Log today
                              The 95 meter long, 3950 dwt ro-ro cargo vessel MV Delta Mariner struck the Eggner Ferry Bridge over the Kentucky Lake, a section of the Tennessee River. The Delta Mariner, loaded with booster cores used with Delta and Atlas rockets, attempted to pass under the bridge through a channel normally used by recreational vessels. The bridge partially collapsed sending 20 feet of the span onto the vessel and into the water. The bridge also suffered damage to its superstructure. The Delta Mariner did not suffer any severe damage. No one was injured during the incident. The Coast Guard has launched an investigation into the incident.
                              This one is mostly funny, since nobody got hurt.
                              Here is the Delta Mariner with her new adornment:

Comment

An interesting read from a while ago:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X