This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random maritime accidents.

Thank you for reporting. I heard it just few seconds ago on the radio news.

All the best.

Matthias

Comment

The whole scenarios is followed in Nordlys own thread:

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...php/17-Nordlys
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Does not look too good for this grounded container ship: fears she is about to break in two are scaring people to think the worst, with 1700 tonnes of fuel on board, in a place with loads of wildlife:

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/utenri...cle1706637.ece

http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/10/07/n...riks/18489812/

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Reminds me of the MSC Napoli job i worked on a few years back. She certainly looks well and truly stuck. I think the weather will decide her fate. She does not look like she's broken her back yet, but it will not take a lot of heavy sea's before she does start to come apart.

I wonder at what state the tide was at when she hit? If it were near high water then they are going to have fun trying to shift her. Unloading her is not going to be easy, and i should imagine it will take a while to get the necessary kit on site - crane barge and flat tops to take the containers. But their immediate concern will be the bunker tanks i should imagine, i doubt none of the cargo will be coming off until all the fuel and oil is off of her. So they are going to be needing a very big weather window.

But lets wait and see, there is always a slim chance they could get her off without off loading the cargo, but i doubt it. Lets hope the weather is kind for these people. If the weather gets bad then i am afraid they are going to be doing a lot of what i was doing with the Napoli - dragging containers off the beaches.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Tidal differences in the area is only 1.5 m. for the nearest few days, increasing to 2.0 m. later in the month.
            The weather is expected to deteriorate, with NE 30 kts. expected on Monday, which will cause some seas and swell at the grounding location, near Motiti Island.

Best of luck to the Salvage Master and his crew. If they can pump out the 1700 m.t. of bunker fuel without having to take on the same amount of ballast they pull her off without too much problem as she appears to be grounded foreward with the propeller and rudder well clear of the reef.

Some facts from the Shipwreck Log, which is actual and not the normal media hype:

The 236 meter long, 47230 dwt container ship Rena went aground on the Astrolabe Reef north of Motiti Island near the Tauranga Harbor, New Zealand. The freighter has suffered significant damage with two cargo holds flooded and the vessel has developed a 12 degree list. Pumps are in use to keep the water out of the holds. None of the 25 crew on board were injured. The heavy fuel oil tanks were undamaged, but the fuel is being transferred from the port to starboard side as a preventive measure. Some hydraulic oil has been released. Authorities have deployed a team of trained pollution control responders to the scene.
            Last edited by ombugge; October 8th, 2011, 06:41.

Comment

The following from Shipwreck Log:
              The 81 meter long, 1319 dwt seismic research vessel Akademik Lazarev caught fire while off Ørlandet on the coast of Sør-Trøndelag, Norway. The fire broke out in the accommodation section and spread to other parts of the vessel. A distress signal was sent out and the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre deployed five rescue ships and two helicopters to the area. Rescuers were able to help extinguish the blaze. No one was injured. Reports state the bridge and several cabins suffered significant damaged. The Akademik Lazarev was taken under tow and headed back to Kristiansund. The towline did break while the vessels were off Halten Bank allowing the research vessel to drift near an oil platform. While causing some concerns on the platform, the situation was under control. Reports state conditions are bad with high winds, heavy seas and snow squalls.

Comment

Latest update on the Rena grounding from Shipwreck Log:
                Pollution Update
                More oil was released from the Rena after the vessel shifted. The container ship had been at a 11 degree list when it hit the reef sitting on top of a rock pinnacle. Part of the rock pinnacle gave way allowing the Rena to shift to a more level six degree list. However, this allowed oil trapped in the vessel’s hull to escape into the sea. Reports state oil has washed ashore from Mount Maunganui to Girven Road at Tauranga and along the southern section of Matankana Island. Officials have begun placing warning signs on the beach and asked residents to stay away from the water. The oil has washed up on the beach in clumps roughly 5mm in height. More oil will be washing ashore near Papamoa and Maketu. Oil should also be expected to be pulled into Tauranga harbour by the area’s strong currents.
                Authorities state they will begin cleanup efforts after the oil accumulates on the beach as there isn’t the resources to collected as it comes ashore. There are 10 trained teams, roughly 100 people, are ready to carry out beach cleanup efforts.

Salvage
                Oil has been moved from one of the forward tanks on the port side to a tank in the stern of the vessel
                10 metric tons of oil has been offloaded.
                The following is also from Shipwreck Log:

As can be seen she is hard aground, but only the fwrd. part of the ship is damaged, while MOST of the Heavy Fuel is likely to be further aft.

They have not be very successful in removing the fuel yet and now the operation is stopped by the weather and damages to the small bunker tanker that is being used:

Picture by Maritime NZ

They also have to consider stability of the vessel when re-floated. Removing 1,700 m.t. of fuel, mostly from the double bottom, may make the damaged vessel unstable, thus requiring additional ballast in the bottom, or to lighten the deck load, before she can be re-floated.

At the moment the oil that has escaped is drifting towards shore as there isn't facilities to collect the oil at/near the source:

Picture by Sunlive.co.nz

Comment

VERY much appreciate all the information and your knowledgeable insight on this ombugge…all I seem to see in the media here is pictures of penguins, and much as I like penguins……

Comment

Latest from Shipwreck Log:
                    Authorities have evacuated all the remaining crew on the Rena as weather conditions deteriorates. Four meter swells and 25 knot winds made conditions too dangerous for the crew to stay aboard. Officials have also revised reports on the amount of oil that has been released. Early estimates had 30 to 100 tons of oil being released due to a storage tank bursting. New estimates place the amount of oil released closer to 350 tons. Also, the rate of oil being released has increased. The increase could have been caused by the vessel shifting on the reef or by the heavy swells causing more damage to the hull.
                    Why is it that whenever somebody is going to clean up black oil they have to be dressed in white cover-alls>???:

Could it be on the insistence of the media???

Comment

Another main issue, beside the fuel oil on board, is; what is in those containers????

This is the first I have seen mentioned about that subject:
                      With over 1,300 shipping containers on board the Rena, it has been reported that the vessel is in fact carrying some dangerous goods including 4 containers of ferrosilicon. This solid substance has the potential to cause an unwanted fire risk which, if contacted with water, can give off dangerous amounts of hydrogen.
                      Whatever else is there???

Comment

Another accident on the ocean: this one just outside the Trondheimsfjord: Akademik Lazarev caught fire, but is now under tow to Kristiansund apparently:

Video in this link:

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/sortro...cle1708013.ece

Comment

More from Shipwreck Log on the the Rena grounding:
                          The Rena appears to have suffered structual damage and most likely will break-in-two unless salvors can make immediate repairs. The Rena developed a massive crack along its midsection of the hull after strong winds and 5 meter swells battered against the container ship. Seventy or more containers have broken free and have now begun to wash ashore. One container has been spotted spewing a trail of toxic blue and smoke. Many more containers on the vessel are damaged making the situation more dangerous for the salvage crew. Reports also state that even greater amounts of oil has started to come ashore along the shorelines around Tauranga, Motiti Island and the surrounding area.
                          It does not look good for this vessel, nor for the beaches in Bay of Plenty.
                          It is also reported that the Captain has been arrested, before it is even established how this happened. He is a Philippine. Would he have been arrested if he was a Brit, Kiwi or an Aussi??

I'm glad I don't sail as Master these days. If there is an accident, or an incident, they are being told what to do by people with no maritime background, aggravating the situation. (Ref. Prestige)
                          Then they are arrested without any proof that they were at fault. Eventually they may be sent to prison because "public opinion" (read the media) demands "justice".
                          I can see why the recruitment to the profession is just about non-existent in rich countries.

Comment

Some of the latest pictures on Shipwreck Log:

Undisclosed Photographer.

As can be seen the "free-standing" stack on Stbd. side of the Poop deck has gone overboard, while the Port stack has collapsed.
                            God only knows what is actually in the containers that is on board this ship. (The manifest is not always to be believed)

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              Another accident on the ocean: this one just outside the Trondheimsfjord: Akademik Lazarev caught fire, but is now under tow to Kristiansund apparently:

Video in this link:

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/sortro...cle1708013.ece
                              There appears to have been another one, much closer to home: http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/sortro...cle1709177.ece

Comment

That crack looks like her back is either broken or real close. Video:
                                http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/5...nded-ship-Rena

Here's an interesting quote: "None of the lost containers held hazardous cargo, and the majority of them were empty", MNZ head Catherine Taylor said earlier today.

Maybe it's just me, but one of the containers clearly looks like it is burning or having some other kind of chemical reaction...
                                Last edited by releck97; October 12th, 2011, 18:03.

Comment

Working...
                                X