Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have done it! The salvage team was successful.
    Video can be seen here:

http://www.swr.de/-/id=116/did=76307...96j/index.html

They found the dead body of one of the two missed persons. The ship will now be cleared completely and they will tow it to a shipyard in Holland, they said.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Good to see the operation went well. Finding the body serves well to remind us what a tragic event this was.

Do they have any clue yet to how and why this vessel overturned? Was it purely down to some major loading error, transfer pumps left running or something similar. Or did she run aground in a strong current? I know a fast running current can quickly flip a vessel if she grounds.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

This place is very famous for it's dangerous current and ground conditions. Thy is why the legend of Loreley was told, the beautiful blonde sitting high up on the rock there combing her hair. All shipsmen were looking at her instead of steering carefully and lost therefore their ships at exactly this place!

The most theories lead in direction loading error. But now the professional people will investigate, and they don't say anything, before it is not prooved. Right decision, if you look at the loss of two people, the damage of the ship, the costs of a three week salvage operation, the losses of money of all Rhine barges during their forced break... I will keep on eye on it, but i don't expect any information until summer.

But one fact is very interesting. It seems to be the rule that the loading papers are on the ship and no copy is existing anywhere else!
        The wheelhouse with it's content was destroyed and so were the papers. BASF in Ludwigshafen as forwarder had no information nor the ship owner!!
        And we talk about dangerous load. No one knew what was in which tank!

Comment

straingh that there issn't a copy of the loading document,the sender had the document that ,i suppoost the skipper has to sign for reciving the goods.
          just as when i load i had to sign a loadletter and if it is dangerous goods,i had too sign that letter too,so that i know it is dangerous,and that i can't say after a accident,i diddn't know it was dangerous goods.

and we know that basf sucks.

i have been there too for loading in the 80's they look at your tyres ,the adr box,the orange plates,brakes,fire extinguisher
          and when the rule said, that 2x10kg is accuired and you have 2x15kg they send you back for buy 2x10kg.
          there was a tanktruck for loading there but 1 tyreprofile was 3mm deep he had to change it for his spare one that has more profile depth but a flat spot on it,the bolts where rusten tight and no air in it,so after loading he had change them back again.
          but basf can say ,his tyres where good when he left the probberty,meanwhile basf open the lock to the rhine to dump chemical whaste,by unfortinali, a human fould

yeah right

basf knows exacly what was loaded in wich tank and how much tons/liter
          Last edited by janihudi; February 23rd, 2011, 17:24.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

I agree, Thijs. This sounds too unbelievable to be true. Maybe somebody "lost" the papers...

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
              basf knows exacly what was loaded in wich tank and how much tons/liter
              I agree with you, I think BASF knows exactly what was on board.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I just came across this link about a Polar expedition and the Norwegian yacht Beserk, now believed sunk in the Ross Sea area of Antarctica.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  I just came across this link about a Polar expedition and the Norwegian yacht Beserk, now believed sunk in the Ross Sea area of Antarctica.
                  Yes, this is on the news now in Norway. Tragic... they have found the damaged liferaft of the sailboat and some tools drifting in the sea.

The Steve Irwin is in the area and they are the one's who found the liferaft. They have no officially ended the search for survivors but will sail to an area where they think the sailboat might have drifted. They will be there in about one hours time Norwegian time.

The sad and tragic about this crew and their BERSERK is that they have starred in many reality shows here in Norway: and among their biggest fans are a group of people who lives in a community called Tangerudbakken (a community for people with .... ehhh... how should I say this nicely, disabilities). This news must be really hard for them to watch and my thoughts and prayers goes to them, the family and friends of all involved.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    I still have my fingers crossed, hoping they have survived.
                    If the boat have sunk, then I'm very glad the student from the TV-program "Sjøsprøyt" and Captain Jarle has survived.
                    One of the people on board Berserk, the one Jarle gave the "captain chair" to when he was away, was on board the Berserk on their trip true the Northwest Passage, and was a skilled sailor.

Still hoping they will find them, but It doesn't look to good right now.
                    This is actually the only time I have hoped that Paul Watson finds what he is looking for. He and his crew has done a magnificent job in the search, and still are.

Comment

Interesting message: Estonian shipsyard examins, if it is possible to restore the burnt out ferry "Lisco Gloria". See here also two impressing pictures.

http://www.bsr.ee/index.php?lang=eng&main_id=279&id=442

What do you think? Possible?

Comment

I am thinking only a full examination will determine whether it would be feasible to rebuild her. There are lots of images of her after the fire to be found on the net. It is obvious that the accommodation block is a total write-off, along with the entire main deck. And looking at the scorch marks along the hull, it would seem that a lot of the lower decks were also consumed by the fire. I am guessing it would be the intensity of the fires below deck that will determine her fate, how hot did they burn, how much structural damage occurred to the steels.

She is only ten years old, but if her structure is severely weakened by the fires intensity, then maybe scrapping will be the only economic solution. I personally feel it would be easier to build a new ship, rather than trying to sort this mess out.
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

In Norwegian only (sorry):

Sikkerhetsundersøkelse av sjøulykke med konteinerskipet Godafoss, Hvaler 17. februar 2011

Comment

Aberdeen harbour- impatience?

or just testing software?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                              impatience, or just testing software?
                              Just a big bully if you ask me!

Comment

Irish Ferries 'Oscar Wilde' incident report.

Some of you may remember the fire aboard the Oscar Wilde in the English Channel just over a year ago. The ferry had just completed her annual refit at Falmouth Docks.

The MAIB have just released the full investigation report regarding the incident.

For those interested you can download the report from this link.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/...scar_wilde.cfm

Comment

Working...
                                X