Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess: Could it be that all these cruises are trying to keep their time table, even if the nature tells them it is better to be more patient? You know, there is indeed to certain pressure on the Captains and their crews to reach the back flights of their passengers. May that be a reason?
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

As to the "Brilliance of the Seas", an RCCL, Radiance Class ship, 962 ft. long and 12 decks high. She sailed out of Greece for Egypt on Saturday, 11 December 2010. She was sailing right into the teeth of a major storm. Here in the states we would call it a Category 1 Hurricane. Winds and waves were building all night long. Finally, on Sunday morning "Brilliance" was hit by a wave that reached up to Deck 10. This hit plus several other big ones threw passengers out of their beds and across their cabins. The waves caused the smashing of windows and mirrors. A piano smashed thru a shop window and loose furniture was sliding all over the place causing more breakage as well as injury to passengers. A senior officer tried to tell hundreds of passengers that everything was OK but was shouted down by angry passengers calling him a "liar". According to some passengers this all nearly led to a "mutiny" by the passengers. According to an RCCL official it was at this point that the ship headed for Malta and passengers were promised a full refund and tickets for a free cruise in the future. Information from CNN, MSNBC and Wikipedia. With all the technology on the ship, weather sattellites in space, how in Gods name could they have sailed into such a storm?? They definitely endangered life and limb of all on board.
      Last edited by G. of S. Florida; December 15th, 2010, 08:20. Reason: Add a question.

Comment

Originally posted by G. of S. Florida View Post
        As to the "Brilliance of the Seas", an RCCL, Radiance Class ship, 962 ft. long and 12 decks high. She sailed out of Greece for Egypt on Saturday, 11 December 2010. She was sailing right into the teeth of a major storm. Here in the states we would call it a Category 1 Hurricane. Winds and waves were building all night long. Finally, on Sunday morning "Brilliance" was hit by a wave that reached up to Deck 10. This hit plus several other big ones threw passengers out of their beds and across their cabins. The waves caused the smashing of windows and mirrors. A piano smashed thru a shop window and loose furniture was sliding all over the place causing more breakage as well as injury to passengers. A senior officer tried to tell hundreds of passengers that everything was OK but was shouted down by angry passengers calling him a "liar". According to some passengers this all nearly led to a "mutiny" by the passengers. According to an RCCL official it was at this point that the ship headed for Malta and passengers were promised a full refund and tickets for a free cruise in the future. Information from CNN, MSNBC and Wikipedia. With all the technology on the ship, weather sattellites in space, how in Gods name could they have sailed into such a storm?? They definitely endangered life and limb of all on board.
        Even if they somehow managed to get into a forecasted storm, why didn't they "heave too" and ride it out heading into the waves at slow speed?
        One more thing; doesn't cruise ships have facilities and manpower enough to secure furniture and fittings when they experience bad weather.
        I know they try their demnest to look like they aren't ships at all, inside and outside, but basic knowledge of seamanship calls for securing loose items BEFORE a storm, regardless of what the designers have done.

As for that little one in the Drake Passage, it should never have been in those waters. Low bow height, low bridge with large windows and consequently a risk of heavy seas braking into the wheelhouse.

Maintaining schedule is one of the main causes of heavy weather damages these days.
        The Master is still the Master. He will be held legally responsible when something goes wrong, but he will be held commercially responsible if he doesn't meet his schedule. I'm glad I don't sail these days.

Comment

I have read that Brilliance slowed to ease the ride and the stabilizers retracted, making the situation worse. I assume the stabilizers retract automatically below a certain speed?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
            I have read that Brilliance slowed to ease the ride and the stabilizers retracted, making the situation worse. I assume the stabilizers retract automatically below a certain speed?
            That is right, stabilizer fins (Active Stabilizer) doesn't do much good below a certain speed. So the may as well be retracted, automatically or otherwise.

I take it they don't have passive anti-roll tanks on Cruise ships?? Those work even on an idle ship.

Slowing down, without "heaving too", does not do much good either in beam seas. Unless you put "head to wind and waves" the ship will roll just as much, or even more, but maybe a little "easier".

The old rule of thumb is that a ship rides best (and safest) when taking the waves "two points to the bow" (Approx. 20 degr. on either side of the heading) and maintaining just above steering speed. She will then do a bit of "cork screwing", (i.e. pitch and roll simultaneously) but not ship as much water over the bow as if heading directly into the wind and waves. "Slamming" will also be less.

Having lashing points for loose furniture, such as chairs, is standard on any normal vessel, regardless of size.
            Making preparations for heavy weather by securing loose items, stowing away small items like plates, cutlery and pots and pans etc. is just common sense. To have a Grand Piano standing loose on a ship is just ludicrous in my opinion. Even a fast turn may heel the ship enough to where such items can shift.

I realize that Cruise Ships has to be different from any normal Cargo Ship or Tanker, but that doesn't change the basic fact that anything that is loose can be tossed around in a storm. Good seamanship and common sense still applies, I should think??

Comment

Royal Caribbean is once again coming under attack. First they announced credits to the passengers; $200 pp in regular cabin, $400 pp in suites. A generous offer or rough weather (act of god). Then after news got back to the corporate office that "The captain admitted in his first address within 30 minutes of the incident that a 'mistake' had been made by slowing down in harbor traffic, causing the stabilizers to disengage", RCCL changed to offering passengers a full refund. It has many wondering if RCCL is worried about lawsuits.

It's almost enough to make you not want to do business with Americans. If there is bad weather someone must be at fault and someone must be sued. What's next. Suing the concert promoter for hearing damage because you went to a rock concert and your seat was next to the speakers. Oh, wait that has actually happened.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                Suing the concert promoter for hearing damage because you went to a rock concert and your seat was next to the speakers. Oh, wait that has actually happened.
                Did they win their case, Dane?
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

11 thousand Volt capacitor explosion on QM2

Back in September the QM2 suffered a total power blackout approaching Barcelona after a capacitor connected across the 11kv bus bar failed in spectacular fashion. The explosion caused considerable damage to surrounding equipment and structures.

Read the MAIB safety report regarding the incident on the below link.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...le=/SB4-10.pdf
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Carnival Splendor...Faulty fire fighting equipment?

http://www.10news.com/news/26270582/detail.html

Comment

Maybe someone can clairify-- I thought Hi-Fog Mist System replaced CO2 Systems, as Hi-Fog is safer, very efficient and causes less damage. I would like to learn more.
                      Jeff

Comment

These days when a ship runs into serious trouble due to weather, person over board etc, the Master contacts the head office and speaks to the "powers to be" in the Natuical section of the Marine Operations Dept and maybe others for consultation, so I don't think the Captain of the BOS made the decision to sailed to such a storm by himself.
                        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Skyward View Post
                          These days when a ship runs into serious trouble due to weather, person over board etc, the Master contacts the head office and speaks to the "powers to be" in the Natuical section of the Marine Operations Dept and maybe others for consultation, so I don't think the Captain of the BOS made the decision to sailed to such a storm by himself.
                          Jeff
                          That is correct. The Master is required to consult with shore based "experts" before he can make any decision, but if he follow their advice and it shows up to be wrong, he is still the Master and bear the ultimate responsibility.
                          I'm glad I don't sail any more.

Comment

Rapport om undersøkelse av sjøulykke med hurtigbåten Helgeland - IMO nr. 9177076 kollisjon med sjømerke ved Lovund 13. desember 2009
                            http://www.aibn.no/sjoefart/rapporter/2010-12

Report on HSC Helgeland's collision with a sea-marker at Lovund on December 13th 2009.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Rhine River Barge capsized near Loreley Rock.

She is loaded with 2.400 tons of chemicals. 2 crew members saved, 2 missed. They report it will take days to remove her from this place. Two tugboats have to keep her in place. Traffic is completely closed. Very difficult situation because of the high water.

Pictures can be seen here:

http://www.swr.de/nachrichten/rp/-/i...now/index.html

Video:

http://www.swr.de/-/id=116/did=74843...9ut/index.html
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ouch... not good at all. How are the chemicals stored on board, are there any risk of spills?

Sad to hear that two persons are missing...
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X