The Russian replica frigate "Shtandart"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Russian replica frigate "Shtandart"

The russian frigate "Shtandart" came to Tromsø last night and today I was onboard her to take some photos.I thought I would be early since the cruise ship "Costa Mediterranea" also was docked early in Tromsø this morning.I managed to get some photos before the sailship was overcrowded by people.Here is a little story first to tell a bit about this seilship from Saint Petersburg,Russia

The keel on Shtandart was stretched in 1703

The keel of the frigate Shtandart was in 1703 extended the Olonets-yard at Ladoga seashore - the first ship in the Russian Baltic fleet. Frigate and the fleet was already suggested a huge military strategic importance for the balance of power in the Baltic Sea. Until this year, the Swedes dominated in these waters, now the Russians on the track under the leadership of Cornelius Cruys. There is much to suggest that the outcome of the battle of Poltava was influenced by the Swedes also had something to challenge themselves on the sea.

"Shtandart" - the first ship in the Baltic Fleet

1703 was an important year in the history of Russia: St. Petersburg was begun and "Shtandart" frigate was built as the Baltic Fleet's first ship. Henry Wessel, an older brother of Tordenskiold, serving as captain of "Shtandart" .

The ship had a displacement of 180 tons, total length of 34.5 meters, width of 7 meters and the depth of 2.5 meters. Mast height above deck was 33 feet with a sail guide of 660 square meters of which 14 sails. Frigate was armed with a twenty guns. The ship was built in 5 months with a staff of just over 200 men.

"Shtandart" was in service for 25 years from 1703-1728.

Symbol of Russian shipbuilding art

Tsar Peter the Great issued a decree saying that "Shtandart" would be preserved for all later as a symbol of Russian shipbuilding art. Shortly after his death, the ship was found so bad that it was stripped of assets and cut. His successor, Empress Catherine decided that a new "Shtandart" would be built, the decision was not upheld.

Replicas

On 4 November 1994 was again an oak keel stretched by Peter the Great's Admiralty in St. Petersburg - the ship was called "Shtandart" . After just under 5 years of toil, the ship was launched on 4 September 1999.

Project "Shtandart" is a non-profit foundation, which has the following main objectives: Understanding youth leadership, teamwork, responsibility and relying on themselves and their own judgments. Through activities such as shipbuilding, sailing of small boats and larger ships frigate "Shtandart" , Russian youth to learn to cope with challenges and pull together as a community. These are all qualities that our country needs now "according to information from the Foundation.

"Shtandart" visited Stavern(Norway) naval ship during the festival 25.-27. June 2004 where she certainly felt at home among the 1700-century buildings and cannon boom.

Tsar Peter the Great is remembered as one of history's most enterprising rulers and reformers. That said, it should also be emphasized that the penalties were severe for those who did not dance after his pipe. He saw that his life's mission to make Russia a part of Europe. He built a naval fleet in record time, he built St. Petersburg and moved the capital there.

At his right sat a knowledgeable Norwegian and discussed, giving advice and execution: Cornelius Cruys was his name - but no one has heard of. The correct story about the Russian navy and Cruys is, however, relayed to the world and future generations with the replica ship "Shtandart" .

The ship "Shtandart" (which is the name of the royal Russian flag) is a training ship, and 35 people are on board, "says Captain Vladimir Martus, who also built the ship. 25 of the crew are trainees.

Docked at pier 11 at the inner harbour in Tromsø

Aft of the ship.

Port side with openings for cannon

Bow section

Some details of the bow

Last edited by pakarang; September 12th, 2009, 19:43. Reason: Ammended the thread title.
    Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Upper deck aft

Down the stairs and I think is called the cannon deck(I am not sure at all )

This is the door where the cannon will be placed

Cannon

The doors in to crew quarter and mess room

Only for crew and you can see the hang berths

Last edited by Azimut; August 27th, 2009, 21:28.
    Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

This is the door to the Command bridge (I call it that)

Innside the command bridge, and it's well equipped with modern instruments.

Captain's uniform ?

This was placed in a corner

On deck again.Steering wheel

Ships clock

Part of the mast rigging

Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

And some final shot

A small salute cannon

Information

That's all people.Hope you enjoyed this.
        Best wishes from
        Bengt Domben

Comment

I certainly enjoyed very much!!!!!!
          Thank you so much for giving us nice detail images, and as I always like, interior images!
          Refreshing with pictures we do not see every day...., and Bengt, do you know; are they north- or southbound???
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you Sterkoder for your comments.Yes is certenly nice to see something different from the usual ships float around.

I am not sure if Tromsø was her final stop so far,but I will try to check this up.I do now that they will be back in Saint Petersburg in october/november later this year.She came directly from Trondheim to Tromsø last night.

EDIT: I spoke to the port Control a few minutes ago,and he told me he had heard they was talking about sailing up to Kirkenes.They are probaly sailing tomorrow afternoon or early saturday.So I will keep and eye on them.
            Last edited by Azimut; August 27th, 2009, 21:48.
            Best wishes from
            Bengt Domben

Comment

I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open then, if she will sail back to St. Petersburg. She HAS to pass Kristiansund... (Hope 'pass' will not be a key word here, rather 'visit' ).
              Lucky for me she's sending signals to the AIS system, so I have a chanse to keep track of her whereabouts.

Comment

Oh, she's GLORIOUS!!!! Thank you so so SO much!!

(the RIB looks a little wierd, though!!!!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                  Oh, she's GLORIOUS!!!! Thank you so so SO much!!

(the RIB looks a little wierd, though!!!!!!!)
                  Thanks for your comments ehp

Isn't that typical,there most always be a rubber or a plastic boat alongside a wooden boat when you take pictures of it
                  Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

Thank you Asimut. You enlightened my morning in the office. It is such a beautiful wooden handicraft. It is a great idea to put all the modern equipment in a wooden secretary so it can be hidden completely to preserve the historic look. I also like these interior pictures most, it gives a view to the living on board. It was very friendly of the crew to let you have a view in there.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Fantastic report from Tromsø - and fabulous images!

I enjoyed those images tremendously...

Is all that REAL wood? Amazing details... look at the navigation desk!

I'm certainly really envious of your visit on board... I bet it was an amazing experience stepping on board!

I wonder what kind of wood they have used for the most part on this vessel?

Thank you very much once again Asimut for this thread, and for these images... I rated this thread Excellent right away!
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I wonder what kind of wood they have used for the most part on this vessel?
                        Same as the original. Larch planking over oak double sawn frames.
                        8000 massive handmade nails were made to keep it together...

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open then, if she will sail back to St. Petersburg. She HAS to pass Kristiansund... (Hope 'pass' will not be a key word here, rather 'visit' ).
                          Lucky for me she's sending signals to the AIS system, so I have a chanse to keep track of her whereabouts.
                          Hopefully, Asimut won't be too mad at me, but I circled the AIS unit...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            Same as the original. Larch planking over oak double sawn frames.
                            8000 massive handmade nails were made to keep it together...
                            Amazing!

You wouldn't happen to know also what the weight of this thing would be?

Comment

Displacement 220 tons, Gross tons 128 and Net tons 38.
                              With two Volvo Penta 390 kW she's able to do 10 knots.

Comment

Working...
                              X