No announcement yet.

Animal Planet's Whale Wars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The program Whale Wars came on again last night, and the vessel Steve Irwin was naturally in the program. I'm literally appalled at the recklessness and way of conveying a protest. The Steve Irwin is filled with testosterone filled youngsters which has no clue at what they are doing, and on International laws.

The ships first officer was seen taking the watch of Steve Irwin, and he did not understand course orders when he took the helm! He shouted for the others to stop giving him course orders because he had no idea to follow them, and instead he asked the crowd on the bridge to tell him to go port or starboard only! They appeared like a bunch of teenagers dumped down on a ship's bridge and let loose to do as much damage to others.

Additionally, they had created some sort of Molotov-C0cktails to throw at the Japanese whaling ship, containing some acids/ compounds which would generate extremely foul gasses/ odors at impact.

I mean, this is NOT the way to protest.

At the same time, I also do not understand the reason why the Japanese needs to kill 300+ whales for research each year? What are they making research about, where are the results of the research, what do they do with the whales after researching on them?

This is a question which Governments must be pressured to respond to, and not left to these kind of villains to freely perform piracy and terrorism at sea.

Once again, I'm a bit unsure where I stand in the battle of the whales... still. But this is lunacy!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I do not like the program. Seems deadliest catch is better

Comment

I still haven't seen any of these programs but, from what is said be Jan-Olav above, it should be the duty of the flag stat to take action against a pirate ship manned by unqualified officers threatening the life of themselves and others in this manner. If it still flies the Dutch flag, that should be the responsibility of the Dutch Maritime Authorities.

As for the Japanese "research" whaling it is obviously only a term used to stay within the the rules of the Whaling Convention, unlike Norway and Iceland, where they just don't accept the ruling to outlaw ALL commercial whaling.

Unfortunately it looks like the influence of the mass media will get young people in all the three whaling nations to reject whale meat in their diet and turn to Hamburgers, Pizza and KFC, to the detriment of their health.
        That will probably kill whaling for direct human food, leaving only oil and animal feed as a market in the future.

Comment

Here are some links

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/

http://www.seashepherd.org/

Last edited by Joakim; September 10th, 2009, 17:40.

Comment

Thank you for the link Helgeland. After seeing some cuts taken from the Steve Irwin and also one from the Japanese vessel that was rammed, there is no doubt that this is a deliberate action on part of the Steve Irwin and thus in breach of all maritime laws, customs and good seamanship.

As I have said in earlier postings, the flag state should take action against the Master of the Steve Irwin and ban him from commanding vessels of any kind. This is total irresponsibility.

I notice that they have had problem getting the vessel registered earlier:
            Like Sea Shepherd's former vessel, the RV Farley Mowat, Steve Irwin has had issues with her registration. In January 2007, the ship was struck from the British Ship Register after a Japanese request. The ship has been registered in the Netherlands as of October 8, 2007
            Here is a pic of the vessel in Hobart in 2009:

She is flying the Dutch flag.

As said earlier, I don't think the Dutch allows foreign Masters on Dutch flag ships. I would think there must be somebody else than Capt. Paul Watson formally in charge here, although he doesn't appear on any of the videos.

Comment

You're welcome. Hope it can help you a bit

Comment

I totally agree with ombugge here. This is an outrage and just a tiny step below piracy. The Dutch Government should most definitely take some action upon this vessel...

This is in my opinion not the way to make a protest, this is breaking International law to promote a wild lifestyle of civil unrest and total neglect for safety of ship, environment and people.

When it comes to the question of whaling, finding another approach to illuminate the problem would be a better solution.

This does not make me support the case of Steve Irwin/ Sea Shepperd.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yeah...., I know it's nighttime here in Norway, and I should be in bed.
                  But, for the first time, I've seen an episode about Paul Watson and Steve Irwin.....

Well, what can I say....

What a gang of (in my eyes) complete idiots! Who on that bridge really knew what they were doing!!!?????!!?

My first thought was; they don't give a d*** about whales and whaling. They are just a bunch of people out on the adventure of their life.

I've never seen the programmes before, I've seen this episode when they struggle the ice tonight, and I will for sure never see an episode again. For every reason in the world, I can't use another minute of my life to see so much nonsense. Life is simply too short....
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I also saw the whale wars episode last night, and i totaly agree with you Sterkoder. To me it seems that Paul Watson ore anyone else on the bridge have absolutly no knowledge on how to operate a vessel at sea.
                    In my eyes Watson and his "gang" is a bunch of terrorist. But that is only my opinion

Comment

Thank you very much to both Sterkoder and Meteor for their comments and opinion. I'm so glad you two also thinks the same as me, I was thinking that their behavior is so outrageous that it is actually more destructive for the cause than what it is intended to be.

As mentioned, and as I have thought since I first saw the program, these people are nothing else than terrorists, and should be prosecuted as such.

Whether whaling is right or not, it seems like it's not their (their as in the Steve Irwin, their crew and their leader) call to decide. A more professional approach would have gained much more support for their cause.

Comment

The way they operate their vessel I am afraid we will see an episode titled "the sinking of the Steve Irwin". It is just a matter of time before they have a very serious accident.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                          The way they operate their vessel I am afraid we will see an episode titled "the sinking of the Steve Irwin". It is just a matter of time before they have a very serious accident.
                          Saw an episode recently where they ended up in a thick ice field and the ship's hull was moving in several inches as ice scraped along their sides. Talking about luck that she wasn't punctured... and seeing how they handled the danger, lead me to believe that these are not very professional seamen. I'm shocked! Simply shocked!

Comment

Yes, Jan-Olav...., here we can talk about pure luck and nothing else. This was the episode I refered to, and it was not because of the people on that bridge she didn't sink. They had more pure luck than brain! Such operation of a vessel and gathering of people on a bridge during a critical situation that has nothing whatsoever on a bridge to do, let alone a vessel, pi***s me off!!!!
                            That crazy gang there with Watson in the lead, does nothing good for the whales cause. Nothing!
                            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The Sea Shepherds has finally made it, they got one of their boats placed firmly in place to be rammed by a Japanese whaler:
                              http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/anti...-1225816667832.

If you cross the bow of another vessel at close range you better be prepared, which they obviously were.

They have also acquired a "new" vessel to be used recklessly in their fight against whaling, the "Bob Baker":

Actually it is not all that new but an old Norwegian whaler, built in 1937 and converted to a seiner in the 1960s. Here she is as "Fisk" in Aalesund some years ago:

Comment

I was watching a Whale Wars episode early this morning (it was the episode where the deck crane breaks and the Steve Irwin looses an engine). I noticed that the "captain" does not make decisions regarding illegal activity. He "leaves it up to the boat crew" whether or not they should board the Japanese ship and sabotage their communications gear. In this episode they also talk about how "replaceable" the crew is. You have to love how the experienced members of the crew distance themselves from illegal actions and get the green crewmembers to do it. It's actually smart. You get to port and hand over the new guys and let them get prosecuted while you go back to business.

Comment

Working...
                                X