X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Planet's Whale Wars

Last night, my husband Alan was watching "Whale Wars" on the Animal Planet channel. From Wikipedia, here's an outline of the show:

"Whale Wars is a one-hour weekly American documentary-style reality television series that premiered on November 7, 2008 on the Animal Planet cable channel. The program follows Paul Watson, founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, as he and his crew aboard the MV Steve Irwin attempt to deter Japanese ships that hunt minke and fin whales off the coast of Antarctica.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society disputes the Japanese claim that the whaling done in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary is legally accepted research and is instead banned commercially based whaling. Sea Shepherd has been both criticized and praised for tactics which include throwing stink bombs at, boarding, and attempting to disable the Japanese vessels."

After watching an hour of the show....he sent me this email (yes, this is how we communicate in our house....LOL)

"Will you ask CV what they think of MV Steve Irwin and the Nisshin Maru? This is a vessel trying to stop Japanese whaling in the southern oceans. Just curious."

Well, you KNOW I'm always interested in a good discussion....and from the sounds coming from the back of the house--hollering at the TV, talking to self, walking up to the front of the house to ask me "can you believe this?", etc--(I was in "my" room watching "Gosford Park" but that's for another discussion) he seemed to get quite worked up about the show...

SOOOOOOO--what do y'all think about the Japanese whaling off Antartica and extreme/not so extreme measures to stop it?

STOP it at ALL TIMES

everything is allowed to stop them

menkind don,t need whalemeat
    best regards Thijs

Comment

First of all, this is naturally a very sensitive question with lots of opinions and lots of meanings....

Whether whale hunting is right or not, is hard for me to say. But, this I know, there is a tremendous population of whales in the ocean right now and they eat a LOT of fish (food which also we as humans need to survive on earth). We are not talking tens of kilos a day but thousands of tons each day by the entire whale population. The oceans are being emptied not ONLY by humans but also by the large population of whales.

Risking to insult a dozen of people, I think whale hunting is right, to control the whale population but that it must be done in CONTROLLED and HUMANE ways.

OK, they are cute, they are old, they have been on earth long before us: but I have seen so many whales in the oceans in the past years, literally boiling of huge whales.

To the other side, this Whale Wars, I have also seen on TV and I must say that I'm shocked by Mr Irvin and his crew, risking their lives, others lives and illegally entering other vessels to provoke a reaction from the ship and their crew. They are doing something illegal to provoke a reaction, and I don't think that is right either.

Ummmm... as I said, these are very sensitive questions, and hard to discuss... but, some of the ways they are doing their stuff (Irvin and his staff) is also bordering to piracy...

What if I entered the ****pit because the planes constantly fly into geese... they are cute too, poor animals being killed by pilots...

Ummm.... not sure what to say... I might be wrong, but please do prove me wrong...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Keep it coming---this is exactly the kind of debate I hoped the question would spark!!

Janihudi- I'm glad you feel strongly about this. Will you tell me more? I'd like to hear your opinion!!!!!!! Do you feel the methods are not good or safe? Is the Antarctic endangered? Do you feel all the oceans should be off limits? Is it just whales?

I'm not trying to bait you in any way!!! I honestly would like to hear a side of a discussion. I didn't watch the show, so I can't say one way or the other....

And there are so many factors in a discussion such as this...environmental, ethical, religious, global, local, political..... I would really like to hear EVERYONE's opinions...

Jump in here, everyone!!! I think whatever way you feel is perfectly valid, if you can discuss it!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to hear!

Comment

s..t,i wish i kept my mouth shut

oke then,
          the view minute's i have seen was that part the where trowing stuf on the whaleslaugther and shot paul in reverse.
          it is not the reight way, to put anybody lives in danger but there was enough talk about it and nothing happend. that paul watson,aint that the same als one of the founders of greenpeace?
          and that he left because greenpaece became a big and log organisation and set for other goals acept the whalehunt.

greenparce (then) en seashepperd has the same workingmethode,and that is hinder the whale slaugthers.

1, i don't think that the whales eat that amount of fish and therefore the reason that the sea is empty.

animals don't eat more then that the needed instead of people.

2, there are two countries (so far i know Norway and Japan) that stays killing the whales,for research ( some ±300 each???) i don't no of i remember me right, but wherefore needs a country kill a coupple of hunderd whales for research ,each.

3, men talk about whale hunting,instead of whale killing,this has nothing to do with hunting, the whales don't have a chance against the killers.

4, the shepperds are volunteers,that want to risk ther lives,but for howfar,
          i hope we never find out,but we also know that the killers want to go further
          than shooting in the sky to scare them off.

5,i like them whales,but who am i,i don't eat whalemaet,so easy for me to say.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          What if I entered the ****pit because the planes constantly fly into geese... they are cute too, poor animals being killed by pilots...
          planes or pilots ,don't hunt for geese, its like the same way when i drive over a rabbit,deer or porcupine, i hate it (all that blood and guts over my truck)
          ,but i am not hunting at them,it is just the way like SHIT HAPPENS.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Oh, Janihudi-- Don't EVER wish you kept your mouth shut!! Your opinions matter!! I, for one, am interested in your thoughts and opinions!!!!

You make a valid point that the members of Sea Sheppard are volunteers and they are risking their lives. And I, also, wonder how much is "research" and if every whale "hunted" is used....

I think many times the hostilities rise up above ordinary differences and that the show always will exploit that edge. We also are watching a TV show....and we know those are for RATINGS....

I'm not a fan of Greenpeace...but I'm also not a fan of exploitive fishing practices...

THANKS for taking the time for posting your views--I'm glad you did!

(I must admit that there are times I wish the members of organizations like Greenpeace, who have very bright, very vocal, very capable, and very well funded members, would focus some of their talents toward helping the newest generations of their fellow humans around the world SURVIVE to an age where they can form opinions on how to be good stewards of what Greenpeace holds dear....but that's another discussion!!)

And Pakarang...geese-cute??? Hmmmm all I know is that they are TASTY..........

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
              s..t,i wish i kept my mouth shut.
              i wish that because i need the book so much then,
              so most of it ,i did without it.

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
              planes or pilots ,don't hunt for geese, its like the same way when i drive over a rabbit,deer or porcupine, i hate it (all that blood and guts over my truck)
              ,but i am not hunting at them,it is just the way like SHIT HAPPENS.
              by the way pacarang,this is what happen when you have a flyby with a pheasant.
              i don't want it,i was not hunting for it,but it happend.accidents happen

just a pheasant,not a geese,difference, a lot of kilo's
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Ouch........ Glad you were OKAY!~~

Comment

thanks Elizabeth,i was looking trough the side window ,so i don't see him cooming.
                  my hart stops beeting at that moment of happenig.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Not to do with whales, but about perception of wildlife:
                    On the shore in South Georgia on my first Antarctic trip. It was incredibly windy in erratic gusts, so much so that you had to crouch on the ground from time to time to literally avoid being blown off your feet.
                    There were various species of birds, including skuas, that managed to cope with the wind when landing. People were fascinated and saying “look at those amazing birds”.

Then one landed and attacked a young fur seal.
                    Fur seals are appealing and cuddly looking. The same people were now saying how wonderful the fur seals were and that the skuas were horrible.

Then further along the beach there was a fur seal eating the remains of a penguin. Well, actually there were two fur seals squabbling over the carcass. Penguins are cute and very appealing. . . fur seals are of course horrible . . .

Another interesting story: A while ago there was an advert on TV for a brand of paper tissues which are impregnated with an anti-bacterial substance to “kill the germs”. It featured a kind caring St.Francis type of fellow, first seen looking after some cuddly appealing animals. Next you see some sort of fly/insect, but he doesn’t tread on it or swat it, he catches and then releases it safely. Finally he is about to sneeze and reaches towards the box of tissues, but being the sort of person who cares about ALL living things, he hesitates. (Though of course as this is an advert for anti-bacterial tissues he has second thoughts and eventually uses a tissue.) I just love the humour of this advert, but at the same time it is actually rather thought provoking isn’t it.

Comment

This is a hot discussion, which has started here and we all know that the Norwegian sight is a bit different. And Jan-Olav did show us a very good example of that sight. It is an unhappy discussion when fishermen are claiming animals are eating their food away. Who was first? The chicken or the egg? We have this discussion in Germany every springtime about the cormorans...

In my opinion most of the whales must be protected, especially as we don't know much about them. I believe we can learn a lot of them. On the other hand some species have reached reasonable amounts again in the meantime. So in this special cases a regulated hunt seems necessary to keep the "balance" between our needs (or what we think its our need) and the protection of the nature. We're too far into it to let it all run alone. We spoiled to much, so that protection is more complex.

So i don't think it is right to heat up the discussion here, it is better to find the right compromise. No one should keep an extreme position!
                      Last edited by Ralf__; August 23rd, 2009, 23:51.
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

This is what I wrote 3 weeks ago in another thread:

"You know, this might not be the last time, even though getting a whale on the bulb while en-route might be like winning the top prize in Lotto.
                        There are now over 110.000 vågehval (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) and then no-one has ever begun to talk about all the different other groups and undergroups of whales swimming around. There must be millions, and the whale are most surely not an endangered species anymore.
                        To go very OT here now, and maybe get a little unpopular:
                        The 110.000 whales has a limit of 885 animals that can be hunted down in this season. These 885 are divided on 21 vessels, but only about 400 whales will be taken out....., much due to the market not in demand of the very good whale meat.
                        So, what Paul Watson and his Sea Shepherds are naging about is beyond my understanding....
                        (Well, I know why. They're putting human character into the whale). "

I don't know about Japan, but Norway hunts Vågehval, and as you can see, in a way I never belive will extinct the animals. I mean, what's ±400 individs out of ±110.000, and what about the hundred of thousand individs of other groups and types of whale...?
                        And one more thing; can anyone dispute that the worlds growing population is in need of food, especially since someone figured out that we use much of our good fields to grow food to grow plants to make fuel instead.

Whale meat is very good and nutritious, and my favourite is grilled...
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I'm LOVING all these thoughts!! Keep 'em coming!! It's really interesting how we have such varied ideas....y'all are GREAT!!

Comment

I just have to pitch in here; Whales are a resource in the ocean just like fish and anything else that is used to feed a hungry world.

Yes, some whale species were hunted near to extinction for their blubber only, which was not a rational use of resources, but neither is total ban on whale hunting. Today's whale hunt is for the meat and, even if not everybody eats whale meat, it is a valuable source of protein.

Every part of the whale can be used. The blubber for oil, which is used in margarine production among other things. The meat is used for food, directly or indirectly. The bones can be used for bone meal, which is feed for cattle and used in aquaculture. The same with internal organs and cut-offs, which can be processed into protein meal.

Whales are on top of the food chain in the ocean, the only competitor for food is humans. The North Atlantic Minki Whale and some other species are now plentiful and in need of culling, otherwise they may become too many in comparison with the available food resources on their traditional hunting ground.

Let it not go the way of the Arctic Gray Seal, which Greenpeace managed to "save" by playing on people's emotion. They showed pictures of young white cubs with large black eyes being killed by hunters using clubs. This gave a dramatic photographic effect, with blood on white ice.

They also stooped so low as to pay two Cathers to skin a seal while it was still twitching and claimed that it was alive, and this was the norm. The fact is that the Norwegian seal cather has always used a tool called the "hakapik" to kill the seals. This is a long handle with a shap "Spike". The seals are killed with a single blow to the forehead. The spike penetrates the brain and the seal is killed instantly. Not much different from how animals are killed in a slaughter house.

Naturally, the seal will twitch for a time, but trying to skin the animal before it is immobile risk making a wrong cut, thus making the skin of less value. Anybody doing that would get their a... chewed out by the Skipper.

What was the result of their "saving" the seals? They became so numerous that there was not enough feed in their normal habitat and many seals starved slowly to death, while other migrated down to the Norwegian coast, got into the fisherman's nets and drowned. Can you imagine the agony of a seal drowning, slowly and painfull, since they are able to stay under water for substantial periods of time?

The other effect was that they ruined the nets and the fisherman's livelihood. The meat could not be eaten and the skins could not be sold due to a ban on import of seal products in Europe and the US.
                            Some culling became necessary, but this is only possible by subsidized hunting, costing the taxpayers millions, rather then being a profitable business.

Now you tell me if this is good and appropriate resource management?

Comment

Well put and valid, as always, Ombugge.

I know my husband (the same one who started this all),an avid(and I do mean AVID) hunter is a member of Quality Deer Management, which, among other things, studies on how best to maintain a healthy deer population. Most hunters in the South belong to one or more of the numerous organizations that promote the same awareness--Ducks Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Federation, Quail Unlimited, etc.
                              But these organizations cover "sport" - not commerce.

In the North-East of the US, where hunting is non-existent or strictly controlled, there are real problems with overpopulation.... deer come into peoples' yards looking for food, cause traffic accidents- I wish I knew statistics, sorry--or, in the winter, forage until starving to death.

I know in Germany (yes, Ralf---believe it or not, I have my jagdschein!!) the "trophy deer" are not the large impressive ones, but the unusual specimens--the ones with faulty traits you might not want passed on--and the controls there have made for a strong healthy population. Good stewardship.

As I said, this is all from my experience as a hunter/spouse of a hunter... not commercial.

I do think it's crazy that I saw all that lovely seal stuff in Norway and couldn't buy any because I can't bring it into the US........................but THAT's another topic!!

Comment

Working...
                              X