X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on a other forum,there was this placed

best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks for those last posts, Thijs. I downloaded the adapted photo so that I could have it on screen and compare with your Google map at #1272. The new lock will be a considerably larger one than the others.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

After this new lock is completed in 2019 - if it is - do you think it will have much impact on the amount of freight dealt with at Rotterdam, Thijs? Has IJmuiden the infrastructure to rival R'dam? Perhaps your regular trips will be a little further north then - new spotting places!
        Last edited by wherrygirl; August 23rd, 2015, 19:49.
        Ivy

Comment

nope Rotterdam has a open waterway to the sea,the ports are close to sea ,and rotterdam is closer to the rest of Europe (to the east)
          besides that Dept for rotterdam is 24 meters,this lock 18 meters,while the canal is just 14,05 ,for the tunnel.
          so even now they have to partly unload deep loaded vessels into barges to bring the dept of the vessel to 14 meters.
          also this have nothing to do with the IJmuiden port,the biggest vessels the iron ore vessels stay outside the locks,only some reefer vessels come in for a part of the port of IJmuiden

bleu line is outside the locks for the steelfactory ,belongs now to tata steel
          pink line outside locks mainly fishing port,but also the ferry to Newcastle,and outside the image the IJmuiden cruise terminal ,the offshore terminal and a part of the windfarm terminal
          red line is mainly river barges port (the 2 most lef lines) the red line left of 1 is also a offshore terminal,the vertical red line is reefer terminals (the lower part of it ) the higher part is most of it for scrap iron terminal

yellow lines are the tunnels 1 = the oldest and just 14.05 cm deep 2 = some deeper ,so tunnel 1 is the main barrier for deeper vessels for Amsterdam.
          they wont remove the tunnel,and they cant higher the waterlevel in the canal ,because of they won't want to let amsterdam under water
          Last edited by janihudi; October 4th, 2015, 21:12.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Thijs, that's a great explanation and has answered another question buzzing in my mind. Knowing that the Nordzeekanaal was much too shallow for those ships which will use the new lock, plus the existence of the tunneI, I was thinking about the various terminals and assumed that the fairly large ones must all be in the lock area with the largest on the seaward side. Now your detailed breakdown of the smaller terminals and who uses them has completed the picture for me. Perfect.
            You've worked hard on that map, Map Master! Many thanks.
            I've also found out what a reefer is - at least, the ship type!
            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              )
              I've also found out what a reefer is - at least, the ship type!
              oops sorry,sometimes i forget that not every one know about vessel types,me included
              best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, a simple Google and there it is. No problem.

PIONIER 02212430 sailing at a Dutch canal.

Comment

"Lupus"

T/B "Lupus" by Joakim André, on Flickr

Comment

• Jack Mulder
                  Jack Mulder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ex Dutch Banjaardbank.

TITANIC 02311567

Comment

''smit panther'' arrivés at the ''mighty servant3''.

best regards Thijs

Comment

''carlo magno'' with the barge ''amt venturer'' inbound for rotterdam

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

''en avant 20'' waiting for the tug with barge

best regards Thijs

Comment

The danish tug "Sigyn" and "Bonden" (FO) are finish with the season at Svea, Svalbard and they are heading home.
                          Right now, they are both moored in Ålesund.

Best wishes from
                          Bengt Domben

Comment

• Ralf__
                            Ralf__ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is quite a distance for tugboats to reach the winter port. Will they be busy in Alesund or are they just searching cover for the cold winter days? Anyone knows?

• pakarang
                            pakarang commented
                            Editing a comment
                            NIce shots.. the panning makes both shots very interesting!

"Sigyn" sailing to Frederikshavn (DK) and "Bonden" sailing to Gothenburg.
                          I assume they are in tugboat service in their respective places before heading north to Svalbard again next summer.
                          They took a break in Ålesund due to some bad weather I assume.
                          Right now as I write, they pass Måløy
                          Best wishes from
                          Bengt Domben

Comment

Working...
                          X