X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World's TUGBOATS

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
    Interesting to see how much work there's behind just disconnecting a towing wire from a tug.
    There must also be some kind of emergency release for the line in case something goes wrong?
    The towing gear for a tug of 200 tonnes Bollard Pull is heavy and not easy to handle by hand. This well trained crew did it very quickly and safely, not standing in dangerous positions and not being in the way of each other, all trying to do the same job simultaneously.

Emergency release from the tug is by paying out wire and let the end go over board.
    This being a "dead" tow (No crew on board the towed vessel) there were no quick release possibilities from that end. Normally the inboard bridle ends would be connected to Smit Brackets to allow emergency release also from that end.

Comment

''bever'' in Vlissingen

best regards Thijs

Comment

''IKAR""

best regards Thijs

Comment

Tugs seen in Singapore the last couple of weeks:

Comment

A mixed bunch:

They are getting friendly:

VERY friendly:

Push tug and barge:

Comment

Number 904/3: That rather unloved looking new ferry in the background? Is that the 'Norman Leader' - commissioned by LD Lines for Portsmouth - Le Havre but cancelled last year for a number of reasons - or something else?
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

surching for info about the ''YAPEYU'' i found this on that Argetinian site aswel

http://www.histarmar.com.ar/Antartid...os/Itasca-.htm

DAMN I FINALLY DID IT IVY.it works.
                Last edited by janihudi; August 5th, 2012, 11:53.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post

DAMN I FINALLY DID IT IVY.it works.
                  Wahey, I knew you would. You're OK now.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

lets see for how long i can remeber it
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                      Number 904/3: That rather unloved looking new ferry in the background? Is that the 'Norman Leader' - commissioned by LD Lines for Portsmouth - Le Havre but cancelled last year for a number of reasons - or something else?
                      I posted another picture of this one in the shipspotting thread

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        I posted another picture of this one in the shipspotting thread
                        Give us a clue Ombugge - can't find it!!
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                          surching for info about the ''YAPEYU'' i found this on that Argetinian site aswel

http://www.histarmar.com.ar/Antartid...os/Itasca-.htm
                          For my translation of the first passage you gave see http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...2767#post92767
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; August 6th, 2012, 12:11.
                          Ivy

Comment

PS. On second thoughts I'll post the info. about the Yapeyu here for anyone interested, see Thijs' remarks in the previous post.
                            My Spanish does not run to technical terms, so I had to consult my dictionary for some of the nautical ones, but translated it says:

Ex “Petrel”, ex ”Cremona” ex “Irán Cremona”.- Sister ships “Maipú” and “Alberto Dodero”

Flying the Argentine flag, later Singaporean, built April 1951 at Giessen & Zonen’s shipyard at Krimpen a/d Ijssel, The Netherlands, for the Flota Argentina de Navegacion de Ultramar. (Later ELMA)
                            Length 159,39 m. Overall width 19,56 m. Depth of hold 11,61 m. Draft 7,90 m.
                            Passengers 753 Crew 165
                            TAT 11590 tons TAN 7935 tons DWT: 7,810 tons (Obviously the gross and net weights but I’m not sure what the third one is. Dead weight?)
                            Propulsion: two Diesel motors, Werkspoor – Sulzer, 2T SA; 10 cylinders (600 X 1.040) N.V. Koningklijke Maas “De Schelde”, two fixed pitch propellers.
                            Max. Speed 17 Knots

In 1956 the vessel made the first round-the-world navigation by a merchant vessel with passengers under the Argentine flag.
                            In 1959 she made the second cruise by an Argentinian vessel to the Antarctic, the first having been made by a vessel of the Transportes Navales (Naval Transport) a year before. She is the first passenger vessel in the world to operate in the Antarctic with passengers. (see “HMS Carnarvon Castle” in the second section.) [another part of the website] On 24.05.1961 she became part of the fleet ELMA SA, and in 1964 went into service in the Mediterranean.

She was moored (?) during 1968 in Buenos Aires together with her sister-ship “Alberto Dodero”, after a much criticised agreement between ELMA and the competing Italian company Costa Armatori SpA. The same year the two vessels were sold to the company Transportes Oceanicos and converted into vessels for transporting cattle “en pie” [ I think this must mean live cattle, literally cattle on their feet]for the stockyard Sanym, with capacity for transporting 2000 head of beef cattle or 16,000 ewes. Her name was changed to “Petrel” and in 1971 she started service between Australia and the Persian Gulf.
                            In 1973 she was transferred to the company Transagro SA Naviera y Agropecuaria, and a year later was sold to the Cormoran Steamship Co. of Singapore, lowering the Argentine flag and receiving the name “Cremona”. In 1976 she became known as “Iran Cremona”.
                            April 1980 was scrapped in Kaohsiung, India

Registered (or Certificated) 1.704 F
                            Call signal(?): L. P. B. Y.
                            Fuel capacity: 1.564 tons IFO
                            Daily consumption: 31 tons IFO
                            IMO Nº 5395101
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; August 6th, 2012, 12:13.
                            Ivy

Comment

Give us a clue Ombugge - can't find it!!
                              Sorry, in the Ports of the World thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                Sorry, in the Ports of the World thread.
                                Here you go Mark.
                                http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...2607#post92607

And i think you are correct, Well spotted!

LD Lines now accepting bookings? I don't think so!
                                http://www.anyferry.co.uk/ld-lines-n...on-giant-ship/
                                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                                X