This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
    "Siglar" inbound to Tromsø in snowhowers to deliver 460 tons capelin this afternoon. The weather is extremely varied today ....
    Awesome image: glad you did this one, I love it because it shows a ship in other-then-picture-perfect weather.... Well done, and well spotted Sir!

Browsing through this thread, blue appears to be a very popular color for fishing boats. I wish we could see more of this on passenger ships as well, it's such a great color for ships. Actually, green doesn't look that bad either! (I had always thought before, that green was a horrendous color for ships, but not any longer).
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

"Sjøglans" on her way to Sommarøya to deliver 240 tons capelin.

"Stålegg" southbound with 235 tons capelin.

Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        Awesome image: glad you did this one, I love it because it shows a ship in other-then-picture-perfect weather.... Well done, and well spotted Sir!

Browsing through this thread, blue appears to be a very popular color for fishing boats. I wish we could see more of this on passenger ships as well, it's such a great color for ships. Actually, green doesn't look that bad either! (I had always thought before, that green was a horrendous color for ships, but not any longer).
        Thanks for that, Jan-Olav

It's okay to show pictures of the ships when the weather is not at its best. It is great with the change in weather, especially as it was today, even though I feel that we have got more snow than we need now, and we are just in middle of march.

Blue color is an excellent choice for many of the ships we see on the ships fairway. Green color that we can look at some of the vessels, "Smaragd" , "Hargun" and "Gardar" , I think is fine and well suited to these vessels.
        Best wishes from
        Bengt Domben

Comment

"Østanger" moored at Breivika harbor today.

Built by the Sterkoder yard, Kristiansund.
          Building number 66 in 1979.
          Ex. "Store Knut", "Høgaberg", "Haberg".

Best wishes from
          Bengt Domben

Comment

"Siglar" inbound to Tromsø in snowhowers to deliver 460 tons capelin this afternoon. The weather is extremely varied today ....

That Siglar, does she have a load line somewhere???

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              That Siglar, does she have a load line somewhere???
              Here is the load line mark to "Siglar" , it is not so easy to spot as she is loaded on most of the pictures I have.
              Here she is on a trip north with water in tanks in March 2009.

Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

"Eros" moored at Breivika harbour earlier today.

"Magnarson" moored outside off "Østanger"

"Nybo" on her way into the harbour this afternoon. They flush water overboard and the seagulls are in heaven since there probably is some leftover of capelin.

"Sjarmør" on their way to the capelin field.

Best wishes from
                Bengt Domben

Comment

Here is the load line mark to "Siglar" , it is not so easy to spot as she is loaded on most of the pictures I have.
                  Here she is on a trip north with water in tanks in March 2009.

OK so the Main deck is actually well out of water. (I can see the deck line mark) It is the colour scheme that makes it look like she is too heavily loaded.
                  Although on this one it can't be much to spare.

Maybe you could explain this with "water in the tanks" versus "loaded"?

Comment

When it comes to water in the tanks, there must be something about cleaning and flushing of the tanks. (It was my first thought) Otherwise, I do not see any particular reason to bring water over greater distances. This was the case with "Siglar" in March 2009, I thought at first that they were diverted north again since it was only 48 hours since they had passed on the south. When I put the picture on another forum, I was told that they were on the north again, but with water in the tanks. I did not ask about the reason for that. That's all I know.

BTW, yesterday another capelin boat was loaded with seawater when she was passing by on the way north.This one had been at Sommarøy to unload capelin.
                    Best wishes from
                    Bengt Domben

Comment

Two russian fishing vessel which have been moored for a long time now.

"Sevryba-1" have been moored for 169 days.

"Strelna" moored for 60 days.

Best wishes from
                      Bengt Domben

Comment

Friday afternoon, "Solværskjær" on her way north. They started flushing the pump just as I took the picture.

Today "Fagervoll" passed by with 680 tons capelin on her way south.

"Ketlin" with 400 tons capelin a few minutes later.

Later this afternoon came "Trygvason" with 550 tons capelin.

Best wishes from
                        Bengt Domben

Comment

I think I have seen pictures posted for two+ years of boats loaded with capelin. I have finally searched to find what is a "capelin".

Odd that such an important fish is really not known in the USA. The sardine and herring are well known here but the capelin not so much.

Comment

Ts9

Here A photo from the Fishing Boat TS9.
                            Harbour West Terschelling 29-12-2009 (The Netherlands)

Regards Germen

Comment

Originally posted by Germen View Post
                              Here A photo from the Fishing Boat TS9.
                              Harbour West Terschelling 29-12-2009 (The Netherlands)
                              I'm curious ... is this a trawler, and what kind of fish might it be going for?
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                I'm curious ... is this a trawler, and what kind of fish might it be going for?
                                That is a Boom Trawler. They drag two of those nets you see hanging over the side behind them along the bottom to catch anything, but aiming for Soles, Flounders and anything else that live at/near the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                                X