This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asimut
    "Siglar" inbound to Tromsø in snowhowers to deliver 460 tons capelin this afternoon. The weather is extremely varied today ....
    Awesome image: glad you did this one, I love it because it shows a ship in other-then-picture-perfect weather.... Well done, and well spotted Sir!

Browsing through this thread, blue appears to be a very popular color for fishing boats. I wish we could see more of this on passenger ships as well, it's such a great color for ships. Actually, green doesn't look that bad either! (I had always thought before, that green was a horrendous color for ships, but not any longer).
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

"Siglar" inbound to Tromsø in snowhowers to deliver 460 tons capelin this afternoon. The weather is extremely varied today ....

That Siglar, does she have a load line somewhere???

Comment

Here is the load line mark to "Siglar" , it is not so easy to spot as she is loaded on most of the pictures I have.
        Here she is on a trip north with water in tanks in March 2009.

OK so the Main deck is actually well out of water. (I can see the deck line mark) It is the colour scheme that makes it look like she is too heavily loaded.
        Although on this one it can't be much to spare.

Maybe you could explain this with "water in the tanks" versus "loaded"?

Comment

I think I have seen pictures posted for two+ years of boats loaded with capelin. I have finally searched to find what is a "capelin".

Odd that such an important fish is really not known in the USA. The sardine and herring are well known here but the capelin not so much.

Comment

Ts9

Here A photo from the Fishing Boat TS9.
            Harbour West Terschelling 29-12-2009 (The Netherlands)

Regards Germen

Comment

Originally posted by Germen View Post
              Here A photo from the Fishing Boat TS9.
              Harbour West Terschelling 29-12-2009 (The Netherlands)
              I'm curious ... is this a trawler, and what kind of fish might it be going for?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                I'm curious ... is this a trawler, and what kind of fish might it be going for?
                That is a Boom Trawler. They drag two of those nets you see hanging over the side behind them along the bottom to catch anything, but aiming for Soles, Flounders and anything else that live at/near the bottom.

Comment

Vessel : TS 9 - Trix
                  Port of registration: Terschelling
                  Length : 19.00 m
                  Width : 4.08 m
                  Depth : 1.62 m
                  Built : 1958

The Dutch people call it shrimp cutter.
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    That is a Boom Trawler. They drag two of those nets you see hanging over the side behind them along the bottom to catch anything, but aiming for Soles, Flounders and anything else that live at/near the bottom.
                    Almost like a vacuum cleaner for the sea floor... is this type of fishing only suitable in areas where there is muddy sea beds, or can they also do rocky shores?

Comment

I've seen many strange names on boats in my time, but never one such as this...., the "Martin-Marie"
                      http://www.skipsrevyen.no/batomtaler...-2005/952.html

This vessel might belong to a fisherman who couldn't decide whether to honour his son or daughter.
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        Almost like a vacuum cleaner for the sea floor... is this type of fishing only suitable in areas where there is muddy sea beds, or can they also do rocky shores?
                        This kind of fishing is very typical for the North Sea coast, in the Waddensea areas. Rocks will destroy the nets, so they need sandy ground.
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                          This kind of fishing is very typical for the North Sea coast, in the Waddensea areas. Rocks will destroy the nets, so they need sandy ground.
                          Thank you so much Ralf, that is what I figured as well.

Comment

Finally I got Libas on my memory card this morning, and here she is in this morning last beams of sun

View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

Waow... those are beautiful photographs! You are my idol... and imagine, a Nikon managed to make such a beautiful capture...

My favourite is the middle shot, where she is passing under the bridge. I think it is a composition which works for me.

Comment

A blond question, but does anyone know, what is a "Findus-trawler"?

Comment

Working...
                                X