This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    Here is a list of Norwegian trawlers that was fishing off New Zealand in the 1990s

JOHN LONGVA
    KLARA BIRTING
    LABRADOR
    LONGVA II
    LONGVA III
    NORORN
    OTTAR BIRTING
    RAMOEN
    TAMPEN
    And from Faeroyes:
    POLARBORG
    TINDUR (Island?)

We supplied 4 Indonesian Production Workers each for most of these vessels in the early days of Norwegian fisheries off NZ.

I'm afraid I don't know what happened to these trawlers. I think they all left after the Orange Roughy was fished out.

Thanks for posting pics of the "Janas", which I was involved with at one time.

The other Long Liner ("San Aspiring") also looks familiar. Could that be ex "Azelia Glazial" (not sure of spelling) or one of her three sisters?
    She was arrested for illegal fishing after Tooth fish and laid up here in Singapore for a long while. I think she eventually went to NZ.

I remember most of these vessels. Rameon is the only one that I do not recall. Kirkholmen was also in there too. It fished for Sealord and also Amaltal fishing companies and they replaced Russian and Japanese Joint Venture vessels. All vessels vessel deployed to catch Hoki and do not recall many of them doing Orange Roughy. I believe I saw the Labrador involved at some stage in Orange Roughy fishery. Us Kiwi's looked after the Roughy fishing while our Norwegian friends caught our Hoki. Will look through my photo collection for more photo's of these vessels.

Comment

New Zealand vessels.

San Aspiring was named Gudni Olafsson previously. And As I was saying before Kirkholmen became the Amaltal Endeavour which is in my photo's above. She then went to Africa and was renamed Matico 2. She sank last year after having engine problems in heavy seas. My Factory Manager was on board and told me about it.

Comment

Hi'there, Kiwi S...!
        See in your PM to me that you went to the Dahle-area of Sterkoder Yard to pick up 'your' vessel, and that you had some great time in Kristiansund and Norway.
        You know, the yard over at Dahle..., or Dale, as is the correct way of writing, was originally the area belonging to the second ship yard in the city, Storvik Mek. Verksted.
        They went bankrupt in 1985, and the owner of Sterkoder bought the company from the banks.
        The areas, both at Dale and farther east (the original Sterkoder) down in Melkvika (where I lived) looks just the same today as when you were here, with small adjustments.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Sailor View Post
          San Aspiring was named Gudni Olafsson previously. And As I was saying before Kirkholmen became the Amaltal Endeavour which is in my photo's above. She then went to Africa and was renamed Matico 2. She sank last year after having engine problems in heavy seas. My Factory Manager was on board and told me about it.
          Well, I know that it was the Roughy that attracted them to NZ. We had several of the Owners passing through Singapore at the time.

One of them found Orange Roughy on the menu at his hotel and insisted he wanted to see were it originated from. When he found it was from one of his boat he got all exited.

Admittedly, I think that particular boat was fishing outside NZ EEZ and delivered her products in Melbourne, but his other boats did fish on NZ license.

Comment

Trawlers.

Yes the Roughy was going to be the big money spinner for them. I was part of the rush where we were catching many tonnes. I remember one year on the Amaltal Explorer we caught 12000 tonnes of Roughy. On trip alone we caught 1500 tones in 21 days and turned it into Head and Gut product. I know Amaltal employs Phillipine crew for their vessels now. I saw some heading home at the airport today. Do you have anything to do with New Zealand anymore? I work At the airport now for Air New Zealand and keep a eye on what is going on in the fishing industry by talking with old work mates from the boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Sailor View Post
              Do you have anything to do with New Zealand anymore? I work At the airport now for Air New Zealand and keep a eye on what is going on in the fishing industry by talking with old work mates from the boats.
              No I'm out of the fishing industry all together for many years. My last attempt was to get the Azalia Glacial (?) back in business in the late 1990s, but when the Investors found that if caught in the French Zone (Keaugelan) the vessel would be taken to Reunion, stripped and taken out to be used for target practise, they lost their interest.

I still think it is a lot more interesting business then what I have been doing since, though.

Comment

"Remøy" docked at Breivika harbour today.

This is a little bit OT but above the fishing vessel you can see that they have started the work with the new building of Science Center wich will give them much more space then they had before.The center will be finish in august 2010.
                Website to the project : http://www.nordnorsk.vitensenter.no/utbygging/

Best wishes from
                Bengt Domben

Comment

"Atlantic Star" at Breivika harbour at noon today.She sailed out from Tromsø a few minutes after I took the photo and set course for the fishing field in the Barentz sea.

Russian FV "Strelna" and Norwegian FV "Skaidi" docked at Breivika harbour this christmas.

Last edited by Azimut; December 29th, 2009, 17:03.
                  Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

Some fishing vessel at Tromsø harbour this afternoon.

"Statthav"

"Johan Feyer"

"Kamaro"

"Nordsild"

Best wishes from
                    Bengt Domben

Comment

Behind Johan Feyer, I notice there is a house with the inscription "hotel" on the wall... what hotel is that?
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        Behind Johan Feyer, I notice there is a house with the inscription "hotel" on the wall... what hotel is that?
                        This is AMI hotel you see in the background.

http://www.amihotel.no/
                        Best wishes from
                        Bengt Domben

Comment

A typical modern Purse Seiner/Pelagic Trawler in Aalesund today:

Comment

"Herøyhav" on her way to Lødingen with 900 tons capelin yesterday.

"Stormfuglen" on her way to Smøla with 300 tons capelin.

"Boaneshav" outbound from Tromsø yesterday.

"Bjørnson" inbound to Tromsø this morning.

Last edited by Azimut; February 23rd, 2010, 12:22.
                            Best wishes from
                            Bengt Domben

Comment

"Hargun" on her way to the Barentz sea to catch capelin.

"Odd Lundberg" with 480 tons capelin on Tromsøysundet this afternoon.

Best wishes from
                              Bengt Domben

Comment

How far do the boats have to go to catch capelin? I assume it is rather close coastal fishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X