This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
    English trawler "Resolute" inbound to Tromsø this afternoon with 600 tons herring.

Nice lines in this and most of the other fishing vessels passing by Tromsosundet. The paint job is designed to emphasize the lines even more on some of them.
    VERY different from modern Tankers, Cargo ships and Container vessels, which is designed with a straight ruler. Not to mention the Box-shaped Cruise ships and Ro/Ros.

By the way, the Resolute is Scottish. Registered in Fraserburgh, but looks very Norwegian in design. Probably built in Norway as well.

Here is a link to a site with pics of the other Scottish Pelagic Trawlers/Seiners: http://www.scottishpelagic.co.uk/about/vessels.htm

Comment

You have so right ombugge, of course she is Scottish

Thanks for the link
      Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

As a bit of contrast to the "state of the art" fishing boats working the Norwegian coast, here is a fishing vessel of a different class trolling for Skip jack:

In some inshore protected waters?? No, 70 n.miles off the coast of Sabah, East Malaysia.
        OK, he is out on a day trip in good weather. No, up to one week at sea in "any" weather. (Shortly before the first pics was taken we had 45 kts. wind and 3 meter seas)

Here the weather has improved, time to get serious:

And he is not alone:

They works from a "Mother Ship" of some substance:

Not much in the form of creature comfort here. (Not even a "thunder box")

What attracts them this far offshore? An offshore Oil Field of course:

Contrary to popular belief, Oil and Gas Field does not kill off all life in the sea, they actually attract it. Where there is hiding places for small fish, big fish will follow, as will fishermen. In addition, the bright lights attracts fish and squids during the night.
        This is Kikeh Spar with a "following" of fishing boats.

There is supposed to be a 500 m. "no go zone" around any rig or installation, but how do you tell the fishermen that? Their answer is very simple; "we were here first"
        Last edited by ombugge; October 20th, 2009, 17:33. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Now, that is what I would categorize as a tiny vessel on a vast open sea... kind of makes me think of Sterkoder's profile motto:

"O'GOD..., THY SEA IS SO GREAT AND MY BOAT IS SO SMALL"
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

"Carmona" passing by Tromsø on her way north this early sunday afternoon.

"Breivik Junior" passing by a few minutes later.

Best wishes from
            Bengt Domben

Comment

M/S "Polarfagnst" leaving Sandnessjoen to south!
              Picture taken October 09

Comment

Russian "Strelets" passing by Tromsø on her way out to the fishing field before noon today.

Best wishes from
                Bengt Domben

Comment

"Båtsfjord" north Tromsøysundet this morning.

"K.Arctander"

Russian ship "Lira" docked at Breivika harbour.

"Fløgrunn" southbound.

"Leanja" passing by Tromsø this afternoon with 310 tons herring on her way to Lødingen.

"Lønningen" inbound to Tromsø with 300 tons herring today.

Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

Ohhhh... Asimut, you are really a new master with your camera. I'm starting to really long for the Northern Capital of Tromsø!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I should be used to it by now but... they sure do seem to be riding low in the water.

Oh, and in a year or two I think we will see Sterkoder dragging around a SLR with a monster telephoto lens. Soon we will be able to tell if the captains of this ships have brushed their teeth.

Comment

Greenlandic fishing boats #1

Photographed on the sea and ashore in Sisimiut, 28 August 2009.

Comment

Ocean Tiger R38, seen here in Sisimiut, Greenland, has Nexø, Denmark as her home port.
                          IMO9136383 Built in 1997 in Søviknes yard, Norway

Further details are given on the website of Ocean Prawns A/S

Comment

One thing that has surprised me on my own trip to Greenland and in Lady C's images, is that the Greenlandic people appears to be very colorful in areas where the Norwegians can be quite dull in their choice of colors.

Comment

Oh, and in a year or two I think we will see Sterkoder dragging around a SLR with a monster telephoto lens.
                              Don't know about the monster telephoto lens, but you might experience some change in my pictures...., maybe within a year..., in the way that they will look as if I've started from zero again.
                              By that I mean that I have plans to buy a new camera and learn that all over, but I can't decide between Canon and Nikon. Nikon I know nothing about, so the one I want right now is the Canon D500 and a lens with a wide range..., 30-300 mm perhaps, or at least not worse than the standard lens I have today, 37-370 mm.
                              But I don't know, the most important thing is money. So let's see what plans my company have when it comes to Christmas bonus this year
                              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                                Don't know about the monster telephoto lens, but you might experience some change in my pictures...., maybe within a year..., in the way that they will look as if I've started from zero again.
                                By that I mean that I have plans to buy a new camera and learn that all over, but I can't decide between Canon and Nikon. Nikon I know nothing about, so the one I want right now is the Canon D500 and a lens with a wide range..., 30-300 mm perhaps, or at least not worse than the standard lens I have today, 37-370 mm.
                                But I don't know, the most important thing is money. So let's see what plans my company have when it comes to Christmas bonus this year
                                Before E gets to you: have you been a good boy this year?

Naturally, if you ask me, there is nothing like a Canon, but I'm sure if you ask Photoman, he'll advice you to go Nikon...

There is no correct answer though: in the end, it's all what you are feeling comfortable with (and that's off course Canon )

Comment

Working...
                                X