Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice serie of night shots. Favourite picture? Certainly #752 Atlantic Star. Wonderful with the car on the street in the background. Well done!
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment, Ralf

"Hovden Viking"

Hovden Viking kopi by JoakimAndré, on Flickr

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice one. You can feel the windy, fresh air. Good position in front of the sea, with tha landscape in the background. Perfect angle.

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice caption Joakim!

Nice collection of fishing boats, Bengt!
    It always feels like a new season starts when you return from Spain and I begin to feel more in touch with Tromsø again

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your kind words,Seagull
      It's good to be back home again.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    Re: World's FISHING BOATS

I spotted this vessel under construction at a shipyard in Batam two weeks ago:
    It looks like a large Super Trawler for catching Pelagic species like Horse Mackerel and Herring. Probably Dutch. Anybody know anything about the vessel??:

She has got a coat of green paint on the hull now.
    I have been trying to find out more about this one, but never realy got a reply, other than that she was probably Russian.
    Now I have found the answer to this mysterious Fishing Vessel. She is built for Russian Owner Robinzon Ltd. Murmansk:

PT Mutiara Shipyard Nanindah, part of DDW-PaxOcean Asia Pte Ltd, is currently finishing the building of DNV class T214 freezer trawler for a vessel owner in Russia. The 115 meter long ship, which will be delivered in April 2014, has auto trawl system and automatic sorting, cleaning, cooling and packaging system for up to 240 tons of fish per day.

She is very similar to the Dutch Super trawlers, meant for Horse Mackerel and other Pelagic fish. First such vessel built in S.E.Asia as far as I know.

Comment

Not picture of a single fishing boats, but a video from the traditional Portuguese dorry fishery on the Grand Banks, off Newfoundland, which was done in much the same way for hundreds of years.
      This video from 1966 must be close to the end of this traditional fishing method and way of life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?vZOdwbqgycU#t=436

The Portuguese was among the first to develop modern Factory Trawlers. In fact the first Norwegian Factory Trawler, Longva, had a Portuguese "Traalbas" (Trawl Bosun) He is credited with developing the type of trawl nets used by Norwegian trawlers, even today.

Comment

Photo: fishing boat TS 2
        West-Terschelling 30-7-2014

Regards Germen

Comment

I'm no fishing boat expert but the vessel in 786 is a shrimp trawler, right?
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• ombugge
            ombugge commented
            Editing a comment
            It is a boom trawler, pulling heavy nets along the bottom to catch bottom dwelling fish of all kind, especially flounders etc.

Came across this old Storvik Trawler on Shipspotting.com. Originally built at Storvik in 1970 as Oksfjord:

Now owned and operated from Montevideo, Uraguay under the name Chapoma. Apparently several more of the Storvik Trawlers are operating in the same area.

Comment

PS> Found her on Miramar. Originally OSV Marsea 16, built by Halter Marine 1981. Converted to Crabber in 1990.
            Here she is as Blue Dutch:

As Polar Sirkel with traps on deck:

And with snow:

Comment

A different kind of Fishing Vessels from what we normally see here on CVF.
              The Tuna Seiner Demiku from the Seychelles is at ST Marine yard in Singapore for repairs after a fire:

Birds eye view from the bridge of Skandi Atlantic:

The Net boat is a massive thing:

Typical American style Tuna Seiner with the power block on a boom.
              Norwegian Seiners started up like that when they first got power blocks installed. After several capsizing they got the Triplex block down low.

Comment

Originally posted by Grindøya
                "Arctic Wolf" heading for the Barents sea to fish snow crabs earlier this month.

Arctic Wolf by Grindøya, on Flickr
                How many are there of these old GOM boats fishing Snowcrabs in the Barentz Sea? I notice that there are some registered in Lithuania as well. Here one seen in Aalesund:

The Arctic Wolf is among the oldest of the type, built in Lockport in 1965. Not much of the old vessel appears to be intact.
                Even the superstructure is changed and probably the main engines as well, but the hull shape is easily recognizable.
                Here is a typical GOM boat from the same yard, but build in 1979:
                Last edited by ombugge; October 25th, 2014, 06:30. Reason: Changed text for clarity

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is difficult to say how many vessels of this type built in the 1960s as fish snow crab in the Barents Sea right now.

But I will not be surprised if we see more vessels of this type with the huge amount of snow crab in the Barents Sea ahead.

UK 190 Hoop Op Zegen leaving Den Helder harbour.

Picture © Ruud Mulder

Comment

Yeah! The fishing results are back!! So i can continue my statistics...
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

"Straumberg"

Straumberg by JoakimAndré, on Flickr

Comment

• Tommi
                      Tommi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That seems to be a nice trawler, thanks for posting Joakim!

A type of large Fishing Vessels not seen much on the Northern Hemisphere, Squid Giggers in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands: http://en.mercopress.com/2015/02/20/...oard-incidents
                    These boats are not exactly high standard when it comes to crew facilities and are frequently being described as "slave ships" due to the conditions their mostly Indonesian crews are working under.

The cruise ship in the background may be of more interest to most here on CVF. But which one??

Comment

Working...
                    X