This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for your nice comment, Seagull

The image is lit by the sun and is a reflection of the beautiful weather that we have now in the fall I think
    The fishing vessel is a breath of fresh air with its bright colors as she sails north Tromsø strait

Comment

Here is the Krill Trawler Juvel seen in the Southern Ocean:

They are eventually starting to make a profit this year. One more Trawler is in the planning for the same Owner.

I was involved in a project to build and operate a krill trawler back in 1988-89, but we were too early by about 18-20 years.
      I still keep the drawing and project papers though, if anybody is interested.

Comment

• PoloUK
        PoloUK commented
        Editing a comment
        Comment actually posted by Ombugge not me!

I posted the above a few days ago. Today there came a program on the Asia Food Channel about Krill Fisheries in the Southern Ocean and a visit on board a Krill Trawler called Saga Sea, owned and operated by Aker Biomarine, which is again owned by one of the investors we tried to get along back then.

Here is a link to the part of the 45 min. program that has the visit on board the Saga Sea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOC2P...V213-vwGIUN0hs
        The other 3 parts is also obtainable on YouTube for those who are specially interested.

What struck me is that the projecthas nearly all the technical solutions and the product range that we were looking at then we put together back 25 years ago:
        Krill Meal for Aquaculture feed as the main products, but with Krill Oil for Pharmaceutical industries as a bi-product.
        Frozen Krill for the Processed Food industry and peeled and frozen Krill for human consumption was also in the planning.
        Even the shells left from the peeling would also be processed for use in the Cosmetic industry. Nothing wasted.

The method of pumping the catch directly from the Cod End of the trawl net to the receiver tanks on board was part of our design and it was not a new idea. Russians already had the idea before us, but I'm not sure if it had actually been done yet then.

Bring back a lot of memories of an interesting time, with a lot of challenges. Unfortunately we never managed to top finance the project.
        ​We could get 100% finances for building the Trawler, incl. the factory machinery and even the fishing gear, but we could not get anybody to finance the first 6 months of operation, which was what it would take before the first income would be in the bank.

"Mark Ljubovskii"
      Former name(s):
      - Fengur (Until 2010 Dec)
      - Tenor (Until 2009)
      - Volstad Senior (Until 2005 Feb)
      - Tenor (Until 2004 Dec)
      - Ottar Birting (Until 1993 Dec)

"Vitus Bering" was built at Sterkoder in Kristiansund in 1990 as "Vitus Bering"
      I can't find another name on her. Maybe Sterkoder can comment this to confirm if this is right or wrong?

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember the Ottar Birting very well from the time she was fishing off New Zealand in the early 1990s.
        We supplied Indonesian Factory Workers to several Norwegian and one Fearoy trawlers chasing "Orange Roughies" in the area back then.

The one in 704 looks like a model boat!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Shrimp trawler "Ringskjær" Passing Drøbak

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

I just wanr to share this photo with you of this trasitional fishing boat used for tourist-fishing at the harbour of Andenes. It is not the fishingboat itself who are the main issue here. But I think the mood in this photo is so nice and calm. So I want to share it with you

Comment

Great photo Martin - like you say, it's really peaceful. I've deleted the duplicate post - hope that was right.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• HurtigruteMartin
              HurtigruteMartin commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh dear. One post is more than enough. I didn`t see it came out with a duplicate. Thank you PoloUK.

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Despite a bit of a struggle posting stuff tonight I'm feeling really calm after looking at your photo Martin! Attractively framed too.

For the Fishing Vessel thread:

Lots of Fishing vessels actually using the "Fishing Pier" in Aalesund, now that the last Cruise ship for the season has left:

A couple of new and big ones as well:

Comment

• pilotdane
              pilotdane commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm wondering if that's a Norhaven yacht in the foreground of post #4. Might make a nice CV yacht. Not enough room for everyone at once but be we could take turns.

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
              I'm wondering if that's a Norhaven yacht in the foreground of post #4. Might make a nice CV yacht. Not enough room for everyone at once but be we could take turns.
              I think it is this one: http://www.skipsrevyen.no/batomtaler...-2006/383.html
              Used as HSC ferry on the route Aalesund - Langevaag in the off season and off peak hours.

Otherwise making daily trips to Geiranger, Runde and Ona with tourists during the season.

Available for cruises on the fjords around Aalesund year around: http://www.62.no/no/aktiviteter/batturer

She has featured in the Aalesund and HSC threads before.

For the Fishing Vessels thread
            A photo taken in island of Madeira,years ago

Comment

I love the three little dingies following along in tow.

Comment

Impressive bridge Gardar has and all the other equipment details so well shown in your photo, Bengt, and I must mention the gorgeous autumn colours in the background.

Comment

Thanks for your comment, Seagull
                  Autumn colors are gorgeous, but when first fall gale comes disappear most of the leaves as usual.
                  Autumn weather has been absolutely beautiful so far.

BTW: rumour has it that "Gardar" are sold to Iceland.

Comment

Bengt, it's very nice to see all these small vessels passing by my computer screen, greatly appreciated!

Comment

It's been quiet on the Fishing Boat thread for a while, so I'll show a couple of the boats visiting Singapore:

Slightly different from what Bengt normally serve up.

Comment

Fishing vessel seen at the Fishery Pier in Aalesund 17. Dec. 2013:

With the AHTS Island Vanguard at old Stornespiren.

This one is far from home:

Comment

Working...
                        X