X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World's FISHING BOATS

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    These boats have RSW tanks to chill the catch so they will have nearly the same draft on departure with fuel and RSW tanks full and as on arrival with full catch.

This particular one is the last active Seal Catcher in Norway I believe. Or was she on a sealing expedition to the Western Ice this year??

Asimut will probably be able to confirm the above statement and answer the question??
    As ombugge says it's common to see these boats in this condition at departure with full bunker tanks and ballast tanks, but the Harmony seems to most as it is loaded, but the pictures below show the boat at full load, so a little difference it is when vessel is in ballast condition / loaded.

"Harmony" did not participate in this year's seal hunting in the west ice, but it did however "Havsel" from Alta (Finnmark), "Meridian" and "Kvitungen" from Tromsø.

"Polynya Viking" from Tromsø was a trip in the East Ice to catch seal this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
      As ombugge says it's common to see these boats in this condition at departure with full bunker tanks and ballast tanks, but the Harmony seems to most as it is loaded, but the pictures below show the boat at full load, so a little difference it is when vessel is in ballast condition / loaded.

"Harmony" did not participate in this year's seal hunting in the west ice, but it did however "Havsel" from Alta (Finnmark), "Meridian" and "Kvitungen" from Tromsø.

"Polynya Viking" from Tromsø was a trip in the East Ice to catch seal this year.
      That is what I call a good catch. Short trip and still a lot of bunker on board??

Surprised to hear that there are still seal catching expeditions to the traditional areas in the Western Ice, and even to the Eastern Ice.
      Only the St. Lawrence Gulf is out from traditional Norwegian sealing ground. But the Canadians are still sealing there, I believe??

Comment

A type of fishing boats you don't see to many of in Europe:

Seen at Londolovit Harbour, Lihir Island, PNG.
        Can anybody guess what type of fishery this one is used for?

Comment

My guess would be liner or seiner!

A different kind of seiner whose bow i can never get enough of:

Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
            My guess would be liner or seiner!
            Not a long-liner or seiner, but some sort of lines involved.

This one is trolling for tuna around the islands and reefs in the region, with lines trailing from the outriggers on either side and from the a-frame at the centre. Much like the Sports fishingboats you see in clossy magazines, only here it isn't the "fight" that is the point, but the value of the fish.

Comment

Intresting! A bit like the mackerel trolling going on in the North Sea in the summer months. My guess was that the outriggers served as stabilizers while underway but now they make much more sense! I have been trolling for sea trout in a similar fashion but only recreational. It was very effective though!

Comment

Here a picture of the Fishing Boat LT - 162
                Harlingen 07/01/2011

Regards Germen
                Last edited by Germen; July 1st, 2011, 22:40.

Comment

"Kjell Otto" at Bjarkøy

Comment

Not exactly a fishingboat, but a whaler. "Olavson" in Harstad

Comment

"Trænabanken" in Sandnessjøen today

Comment

Comment

Some more of the pictures from Sandnessjøen, "Omsund I".
                          Since one of my photobucket accounts seems to live its own life, I'm looking for some similar place to have a third photoaccount, since two Photobuckets doesn't have enough bandwtih capacity for me If anyone have any tips, send me a pm and let me know

Comment

"Nykværing" in Sandnessjøen. A very nice boat!

Comment

"Kågtind" south Tromsø strait yesterday.

Comment

"Harmoni" on her way into town earlier today after a trip north Grøtsundet to check out that everything works ok.
                                Here they pump out ballast water from the tanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X