This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constellation

I still want to put another boat into the water for leisure sailing- and saw this but haven't yet persuaded 'someone else'. With it's oversized wheelhouse, it is still line fishing for mackerel at the moment but is being replaced by a new-build bigger boat.

I like the fact it has a large enough wheelhouse for 3 people to sit in if the weather gets bad while at the same time it has a lot of open deck space.

It is based on a 'Jorgesen Stord' ex. lifeboat. Any thoughts would be very welcome as would any information about the builder.

sale details at Find a Fishing boat.

Videos

Last edited by Gaelsail; July 16th, 2009, 10:36.

Comment

What a great looking craft! You certainly will not need to add any electronics to the wheelhouse. The only thing possibly missing is an autopilot. I assume there is storage in the bow.

What speed will she make? I'm guessing cruise at 8 knots?

Move her to North Carolina and add air conditioning and I might even get my wife to sign the check.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
        What a great looking craft! You certainly will not need to add any electronics to the wheelhouse. The only thing possibly missing is an autopilot. I assume there is storage in the bow.

What speed will she make? I'm guessing cruise at 8 knots?

Move her to North Carolina and add air conditioning and I might even get my wife to sign the check.
        I'm so glad that I'm not alone in thinking this is a good boat. I think I could even manage to navigate my way out of the loch myself in this .

No idea what speed she will do but I'll ask. There is dry storage in the bow but I'm wondering if there is actually room to sleep. Air conditioning is probably not needed over here

Comment

I am sure you could canvas/tent over the main deck area for the occasional over night. A v berth in the bow and a port potty would be good if you plan to spend much time onboard.

Comment

A possible addition to the amenities?

Standard equipment on Thai Fishing Boats.

Comment

Thai Fishing Vessel

A typical Thai Fishing Boat arriving at Songkhla:

Pakarang should know this type well.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                A typical Thai Fishing Boat arriving at Songkhla
                Good picture, what do they fish for?

Comment

A typical Thai Fishing Boat arriving at Songkhla:

Pakarang should know this type well.
                  Great one! I love these fishing boats... went out on night fishing once a long time ago with some fishermen... think it was back in 2000 out of Tak Bai in southern Thailand...... We left the shore in the evening, fished through the night and returned at noon the following day.

I especially remember a box that was hung over the stern: the restroom (with a hole in the floor for droppings... ) I see this one doesn't have such an installation.

Unfortunately, the images from that trip is gone (among those that could not be saved after a hard-drive crash a few years back).

What were we fishing? I can't really remember.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    I especially remember a box that was hung over the stern: the restroom (with a hole in the floor for droppings... ) I see this one doesn't have such an installation.
                    Look at the previous picture

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                      Look at the previous picture
                      Oh, yes, that is the "box": I was using... just the same...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A possible addition to the amenities?

Standard equipment on Thai Fishing Boats.
                        That must be fun to use during a storm.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                          That must be fun to use during a storm.
                          There is so much I could have said about that experience, but I think I'll leave it at that....

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                            Good picture, what do they fish for?
                            Based on the large Light Bulbs on an outrigger and looking at the gear she carries, I would say she is most likely a Squid Jigger:

If they had been catching schooling fish attracted by light they would most likely also have carried a Seine Net, which they don't.
                            In any case there must be a fairly good catch on board, looking at the free board. (No load line here)

This appears to be a multi-purpose Fishing boat used for short trips, over night or max. 1 week duration, and able to use many types of Fishing gear, incl. Trawl, depending on the season and what is in demand at the time.

See the two Cat Heads sticking out from the Engine Room Casing and driven by belts directly from the Main Engine? Simple but efficient when you don't apply too many safety rules.

Comment

Just got to think about it, Sunda Kelapa sounds like a Malaysian name, leading me to think that this is either a bad Thai translation or just simply an Malaysian fishing vessel.

Comment

Based on the large Light Bulbs on an outrigger and looking at the gear she carries, I would say she is most likely a Squid Jigger
                                Do you know if this is likely to be for local eating or do they sell them to exporters?

I see what you mean about the
                                See the two Cat Heads sticking out from the Engine Room Casing and driven by belts directly from the Main Engine? Simple but efficient when you don't apply too many safety rules.
                                I wouldn't like to get in the way of the ropes!

Comment

Working...
                                X