''wiron 6''

best regards Thijs

Comment

''rikke hoy''

''ri144''

best regards Thijs

Comment

Great pictures of fishing vessels, janihudi

"Fagervoll" and "Straumberg" moored this afternoon.

Best wishes from
          Bengt Domben

Comment

Russian "Aquamarine" moored in Breivika harbour.

Best wishes from
            Bengt Domben

Comment

"Støtfjord" on her way to the fishing field last month.

Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

"Meløyfjord" on her way too.

Best wishes from
                Bengt Domben

Comment

thanks bengt,i wonder how they can work on a so tiny ship build ful with equipment on dek,you can hardly work there
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

What are the grates (mesh) at the stern near the water line? I see them on Støtfjord and Meløyfjord. I assume it is some type of drain but it is so close to the waterline and well below the main deck.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                      What are the grates (mesh) at the stern near the water line? I see them on Støtfjord and Meløyfjord. I assume it is some type of drain but it is so close to the waterline and well below the main deck.
                      It is drainage from the non-watertight Net Bin at the stern, for when the Seine Net is pulled back on board dripping wet.
                      On these vessels the top deck is the weather deck/shelter deck. The main deck is the uppermost deck that goes full length of the vessel, i.e. at the level of these "letting port". You can also see the load line marks on the side of the vessels, which is just a few inches below main deck level amidships.

These Coastal Purse Seiners are packed with equipment to where there is hardly any strenuous manual work left to be carried out by the fishermen on deck.
                      They are short and wide, sometime to the ridiculous, because they are built to optimize capacity within some regulatory length limitations. If and when the rules change, or the boat gets converted for a different purpose, they are prepared to be lengthen, without having to add beam, yet be stabile.

One other peculiar point is that they always appear to be loaded, whether they are going to the fishing grounds, or they are returning with a full catch on board.
                      The reason is that they are equipped with Refrigerated Sea Water (RSW) tanks to keep the catch fresh.
                      They usually leave with the Fuel tanks full and the RSW tanks partly full and return with the Fuel tanks almost empty and the RSW tanks full, or that is at least the ideal.

I posted some videos of the old way and new way of operating Purse Seiners earlier in this thread. (Post # 85 & 90)
                      Last edited by ombugge; October 11th, 2010, 05:19.

Comment

"Ingrid Majala" on Fosnavågen.

"Herøyfisk" on Fosnavågen.

Comment

Don't know who took the pictures "Harvest" here, and I don't know where. All I know is that they are taken by a Canon 40D on 22. January 2009.
                          I know there are no imediate danger to the boat and her crew, so what gets my brain going is the thought of the photographer, who is out in the same rough weather, the same huge waves on a vessel with sloping decks alike.
                          Either this is some pretty good PhotoShop work, or the person is a darn good photographer.

(Of course, he/she could well be standing on a pier next to an inlet, like in this movie).

Last edited by Sterkoder; October 16th, 2010, 19:08.
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I think these pictures is taken from her sister ship "Ocean Harvest" PD 198, but not sure where. The homeport is Peterhead, Scotland
                            These are two identical ships and they are fishing together.
                            Stunning photos indeed.

A link to a web site for further information about these fishing boats

http://www.worldfishingtoday.com/new...an_harvest.asp
                            Best wishes from
                            Bengt Domben

Comment

"Herøyhav" was moored for a few hours today in Breivika harbour.
                              She left the port a few minutes after 18:00 this afternoon.

Best wishes from
                              Bengt Domben

Comment

Thank you so much for that info in post #268!!!!
                                (I didn't belive that comment about PhotoShop myself, but I thought I'd toss it in anyway ).

Now....., even if I use the phrase "speachless" in some postings, I belive it's time to use it again!
                                I enjoy close-ups, mainly because you have to know how to use your camera, and with these images you shown us just that...!
                                I enjoy your images of "Herøyhavn" alot, Bengt!!!!
                                Needless to say; please go out on the docks again
                                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                                X