X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack Mulder View Post
    ARM-15 DE VROUW JANNETJE

Jack Mulder
    That is a bad a$$ fishing boat. I love her lines. A strong brow over the bridge windows and some curves on the after deck. Aesthetically (how something looks) she is a fine vessel in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
      That is a bad a$$ fishing boat. I love her lines. A strong brow over the bridge windows and some curves on the after deck. Aesthetically (how something looks) she is a fine vessel in my book.
      I can clearly envision seeing her in a new refurbished version as a super expedition yacht.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

HD 22 Noorderhaaks

Jack Mulder

Comment

TX 21 Pieter van Aris

Jack Mulder

Comment

NC 304 GRETHA JOHANNA en route at a windy Waddenzee.

Jack Mulder

Comment

The Winter Herring Fisheries off Western Norway

I posted some pictures from the Golden Years of the 1950s in an earlier post, Here is some from an even earlier era, the 1920s and 30s.

Purse-seining with oar-powered Net boats - 1938:

The boats had to come in to Brunholmen, Aalesund to report their catch and get direction to deliver to the buyers:

"First come, first served" principle applied, so the competition was furious to get through Moljegapet and be first to put the bow against the wharf, for the "Bas" to jump off and sprint to the Sales office, which was situated at Brunholmen:

Especially at the start of the season, there would be a lot of boys waiting with a piece of wire in their hand, ready to storm on board and get some nice fresh and fat herring, full of roe:

The Herrings would be sold around town - in my time at 25 Ore (NOK 0.25) for the first few days of the season. Later the price would fall to 10 Ore, or even 5 Ore late in the season. The entire town would smell of Fried Herring for a day or two. Great fun for the boys, maybe not so enjoyable for the fishermen, but it was an established and tolerated tradition that lasted well into the 1960s, I think.

Maybe some younger Aalesund natives know when this came to an end?

Comment

FD 253 Grietje Klaas at a windy Waddenzee.

Jack Mulder

Comment

"J.Bergvoll" outbound from Tromsø this afternoon, new painted and ready for fishing.

Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

"Elisabeth" continues her trip south after filling the fuel tank at Skjelnan oil facility this afternoon.

Best wishes from
                    Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
                      "Elisabeth" continues her trip south after filling the fuel tank at Skjelnan oil facility this afternoon.

Elizabeth...... hey, you have a fishing vessel named after you as well?
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Two trawlers from Estonia inbound to Tromsø this afternoon,but in this case "Eldborg" (to the left) was towing "Ontika" in to the harbour.
                        Tugboat "Lupus" on her way to assist "Ontika" to the pier.

Best wishes from
                        Bengt Domben

Comment

Couldn't find a thread about trawlers in here, but as I see 'Asimut' is posting a beautiful image above here of both trawlers and a tug, I feel confident that I can post pictures of "Havbryn" in Ålesund....

...and "Havstrand" with the stern of "Fiskeskjær" and "Strand Senior" visible in front of her bow
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Havbryn

Sterkoder. Is this vessel one of the Sterkoders built for the russians?

Comment

"K.Arctander" at slow speed north Tromsøysundet last night.

Best wishes from
                              Bengt Domben

Comment

"Libas" arrived at Breivika harbour this morning.

"Brennholm" came yesterday morning.

Best wishes from
                                Bengt Domben

Comment

Working...
                                X