Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Havila Venus" on her way to the Barents sea.

Havila Venus by Grindøya, on Flickr

Comment

Seismic Vessel West bound in Singapore Strait:

Comment

"Skandi Vega" and "Havila Mars" moored at Prostneset pier yesterday.

Skandi Vega og Havila Mars by Grindøya, on Flickr

Havila Mars og Skandi Vega by Grindøya, on Flickr
        Last edited by Azimut; September 24th, 2013, 18:33.

Comment

"Troms Pollux" inbound to Breivika harbor this afternoon.

Troms Pollux by Grindøya, on Flickr

Comment

''seven waves'' moored in Rotterdam.

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

I like those Thijs ...I've been so into following Subsea 7's ships this year (even in Leith!!!!!)

Comment

the yard where cornel and his brother work as welders are building a lot of the subsea vessels
                  Eli ,Cornels's brother invited me ones on the yard and i made many images (in and outside) of a vessel from Subsea.
                  sadly they are al gone after the big crash.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Some offshore vessels seen at Eastern Working Anchorage last week.
                    The PSV/ROV Support vessel "Go Explorer":

Weyland Tide is a nearly new AHTS, 8200 Bhp. Built in China, delivered Sept. 2012:

AHTS Guidry Tide, 7000 Bhp. Built in Japan 2005:

AHTS Day Tide, 10,000 Bhp. Built in Poland 2008:

Brand new DSV "SBM Installer" seen at Keppel Benoi Shipyard, Singapore:

Built at Keppel Singmarine Shipyard, Singapore.

PS> Delivered in Aug.2013, but still at the yard when this picture was taken, 26. Sept. 2013.
                    Here is an amateur video from the Seatrail off Langkawi, Malaysia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpnQ3L9wg8Q

Comment

Havila Phoenix built in shipyards of Leirvik.Registered in Norway.She works for offshore windmills intallations.Here she arrives in the Irish harbour of Killibegs,last July.

Comment

Havila Venus in the twilight

Havila Venus by Tom McNikon, on Flickr
                        View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

Another Havyard design, Swire's Pacific Dove nearing completion in Singapore:

She has all the latest and best of equipment. Here one of the manipulator arms running on the cargo rails:

Anchor handling frame at the stern:

I'm not sure what these contraptions do:

First time I have seen anything like this.Anybody able to clarify??

Comment

• Ginnick
                            Ginnick commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They are part of the Roll Royce winch package. They call them "chain haulers", they are to bring the slack Rig chain back out the winch house from the chain gypsy so that it can slide down the chutes into the lockers.
                            Most of the new boats have the Rig Chain Lockers out on deck with big deck hatches, sometimes they are combination Chain/Ballast or Chain/Brine/Mud tanks. There are some Chain Rollers on the main-deck in the centre to lead the chain into the winch house, this keeps the load low down on the deck when pulling. The chain is then led "under-wound" around the back of the gypsy and back off the top to these "haulers", it can then slide down the chute into the locker.
                            So these haulers just sit with some hydraulic pressure on them to keep pulling any slack chain out off the gypsy. Leading the chain underneath and around the back keeps more chain engaged and is supposed to reduce any "jumping".

The reason for the strange shape is so that the wedges can be adjusted up and down to suit different sizes off chain.

I cannot find any photos or video online of these in action, if I do I'll post a link. But if you look at the link below it shows all the Rolls Royce Anchor Handling equipment. The D-Class only has some of this fitted, but numbers 12 and 13 are the Rollers to lead chain into the winch and the haulers to bring it back out.
                            http://www.rolls-royce.com/Images/AH...cm92-15598.swf

A couple more Offshore vessels seen at ST Marine in Singapore today.

Seismic vessel BOA Thalassa being moved by small wooden tugs:

CSV Normand Clough preparing for next assignment:

No shortage of antennas in the mast of Normand Clough:

Funnel?? Who need a funnel?:

Loosely based on a famouse answer by Mr. Ludwig when asked why there were no funnel on his ships; "you can't load oil in a funnel, can you?"

Comment

She is the Cassandra 5, built in Miri, Sarawak and owned by a friend of mine. (Now operated by a Dutch company)
                            Here she is on delivery from the yard in Miri 2008:

Must be a cultural shock to move from Miri to Tromso.

Comment

Guest commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you for the information about the ship,ombugge

Thanks Bengt.

Yes I realized that this had something to do with chain handling, but obviously not the main Chain Lifters, since they are driven by small hydraulic motors only. Chain roller guides are normally "blank" to suite all sizes of chains, from 76 to 92 mm. diam. or more, and without drive motors. (obviously enough) The position is also unusual, since the Chain Lifters usually sits on either side of the winch drum, not near center line, like here.

Having some time on hand today I looked it up and found this page from RRM Rauma Brattvaag: http://www.rolls-royce.com/marine/pr...shore/dm_ahts/
                            The interactive drawing of an AHTS with all "bells and whistles" installed answer just about any questions you may have about modern deck machinery. The one above looks very much the same as the one on the drawing.

The contraptions in question is named Chain Haulers and is used to help getting chains to run smoothly into the chain lockers, hence the size-neutral "pockets" and drive motors.
                            If they can develop this further to where it can be used as main chain lifters, the last back breaking job on an AHTS is eliminated. Changing Chain Lifters is necessary when handling different size chains. Even with the latest Cable Lifter Changer it is no easy task.

The reason the Chain Haulers are placed near center line also became clear. There are two separate winches and drums, side by side, with the chain lifters on the inboard side of each. A very logical solution, since that allow the chain lockers to be better utilized.
                            Last edited by ombugge; October 22nd, 2013, 11:37.

Comment

Working...
                            X