• Show
Clear All

"Island Duke"

"KL Sandefjord"

Comment

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      KL's truly like a fresh spot of color, thank you Joakim!

Just wanted to say Hi Ginnick, thank you for the info in your comment #1490.1, and a big welcome to the forum.

Comment

And welcome from me too, Ginnick. Your comment answered Ombugge's query perfectly, though I got lost after the first few lines!
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I did not see this Comment before posting # 1495, which basically explain the same.

Welcome here on the forum Ginnick. Nice to have somebody from Swire Pacific Offshore on here to shear the "burden" of explaining things from the Offshore industry.
        I hope you will stick around and join in the many other interesting threads and subject on this friendly forum. The more the merrier.

Comment

Thank you for the nice addition of facts and information Ginnick, and a very warm welcome to CVF!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I was on here a couple of years ago briefly but never posted much. As I work offshore I often look in here at pictures of Supply Boats and Anchor Handlers, and if I can help with any questions about offshore work I would be happy to help. Although Ombugge has that covered most of the time!

I normally take a few photos each trip, so I will try and keep posting a few on here. It may help to show the 'working' side of the boats, to go with the pictures from in port. The quality won't be up to much as most of the time they are taken through the window as I'm driving the boat, or after a quick run to the bridge door!

My last trip was working in the Alba Field off Equatorial Guinea, we had another Swire boat come in to do some ROV surveys so I took the chance to get some Photos of her.

Pacific Wizard alongside Alba-B platform

Deploying the ROV

ROV in the water

Pacific Wizard alongside Alba-A platform

Comment

Hey, look at that....., what a nice logo on that vessel ;-)
              You got the Swire flag on your chest also?
              I proudly fly the Swire flag from my right uniform chest, but in the Offshore Services dept.
              Let me wish you a warm welcome to CVF!!!
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Ginnick
                Ginnick commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the welcome. We have the flag on the Left side, but still the same Taikoo!

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

.....shear the "burden" of explaining things from the Offshore industry.
              "Burden", eh? Right, I think I'll address my queries elsewhere in future.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Nice to see the Wizard at work. I have worked with her several times, as well as with many other Swire boats.
                I'm going to venture a guess; I believe the pictures are taken from one of the R-Class boats??

Comment

Good spotting skills! you were right it was an R-Class, the Pacific Raider. She has just started a long term charter out of Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, replacing two Tidewater crew-boats. Even though she is only 12 years old she is one of the older boats left in the fleet now most of the original ones have gone. Nice boats to drive though, not too big but with plenty of power for their size.

Lucky, as one of the jobs on the charter was to get crew onto the small (un-manned) platforms by a "swing-rope" transfer. That is what the two yellow platforms on the stern are for.

Keeping her in position 0.5 to 1 meters off the boat landing was "challenging"!

Comment

Speaking of challenging, maybe you remember this one:

From an inspection I did back in March, 2010.

The last of the UT 704s in SPOs fleet. Do you know what happened to this one and the other 704s?

Comment

Skandi Iceman came to Bergen yesterday :-)
                      It pissed down when she arrived

Skandi Iceman by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

I absolutely love that first one in the rain.

Comment

Interesting bow design of Skandi Iceman. I don't think I have seen a bow like that before. Is there a name for that type of bow? I wonder if in calm water it acts more like a traditional bow slicing through the waves and as the seas get large it works more like an X Bow.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                            Speaking of challenging, maybe you remember this one:

The last of the UT 704s in SPOs fleet. Do you know what happened to this one and the other 704s?
                            I was on the Challenger about in 2009 a year before you did that inspection. It was very interesting to get a chance to be on one of the 704's, it was a very good design!! Although she was getting a bit on the 'tired' side by the time I was on there.

We went were mostly anchored off Singapore, but went up to Labuan to help out some Malaysian boats with a Rig Move. Halfway up there we had to turn back to land our Chief Engineer who had high blood pressure. Even after nearly 30 years she still made 17 knots with no problem, they had very fine lines. Not like a lot of the new boats where the Bulk Capacity has been 'optimised'.

The rig move turned into a challenge of its own, the pennant wires on the anchors were parting under load (new 64mm wire, but cheap) so we had to J-Hook two anchors and sort out the mess on deck.

Here's an anchor and buoy on deck, the parted pennant can be seen on the right

Trying to get the Anchor disconnected

The view from the Bridge

Alongside in Labuan

The Challenger went to China to be scrapped in 2012, a sad end but she had come to the end of her working life. it would have needed some major docking (and Money) to get her steelwork back in good condition.

The last 704 Swire had was the Pacific Chieftain, she spent a long time working in New Zealand but the last AIS data I can see has her heading to Europe/Med. I'm not sure if she has been sold.
                            The other C-Class 704's were sold to Five Ocean Salvage, along with some of the old S-class.
                            Pacific Champion -> Arabian Sea FOS
                            Pacific Conquerer -> Red Sea FOS
                            Etc.
                            http://www.fiveoceansalvage.com/en/fleet-list

They are on Salvage stations around the main shipping lanes, so still in action. Life in the old girls yet!

Comment

Working...
                            X